Absorption male vs female

Again...the biggest problem with all current adult diapers is that, overall, our diapers are not wide enough. The padding width is fine but there's not enough unpadded plastic between padding & leg elastics to provide a good seal. The biggest area of concern is the perineum/leg juncture area, between the anus and 8 inches forward/up...that area of the diaper is more prone to leaks and there's also a matter of varied body shapes in that area to add to the matter. Males are more prone due to external, protruding genitalia.

The industry simply refuses to consider widening the plastic in the crotch about 2-3 inches and moving the elastic out to match. Wicking & absorbency are no good if there's poor containment because wicking & absorbency take time, especially in the first wetting. Improved width & gathers will go a long way...and the padding width will remain the same.

Deal with this issue and this ridiculous quest for mega-absorbency will become a non-issue and these silly Diaper Wars will end. Change our diapers! "It's the leaks, people! Let's fix it!" ✊🥳

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater, AttilaThePun and DIAPERBOY920
BobbiSueEllen said:
Again...the biggest problem with all current adult diapers is that, overall, our diapers are not wide enough. The padding width is fine but there's not enough unpadded plastic between padding & leg elastics to provide a good seal. The biggest area of concern is the perineum/leg juncture area, between the anus and 8 inches forward/up...that area of the diaper is more prone to leaks and there's also a matter of varied body shapes in that area to add to the matter. Males are more prone due to external, protruding genitalia.

The industry simply refuses to consider widening the plastic in the crotch about 2-3 inches and moving the elastic out to match. Wicking & absorbency are no good if there's poor containment because wicking & absorbency take time, especially in the first wetting. Improved width & gathers will go a long way...and the padding width will remain the same.

Deal with this issue and this ridiculous quest for mega-absorbency will become a non-issue and these silly Diaper Wars will end. Change our diapers! "It's the leaks, people! Let's fix it!" ✊🥳
Can we talk about male genitalia on this topic?

Reactions: AttilaThePun
DIAPERBOY920 said:
Can we talk about male genitalia on this topic?
Technically, and not sexually. It is a valid factor, we just keep sexual function out of the topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater, AttilaThePun and DIAPERBOY920
BobbiSueEllen said:
Technically, and not sexually. It is a valid factor, we just keep sexual function out of the topic.
Please tell me how you position your penis before putting on a diaper and whether it is better to position it down or up?

• Thinking
Reactions: Edgewater and AttilaThePun
DIAPERBOY920 said:
Please tell me how you position your penis before putting on a diaper and whether it is better to position it down or up?
That is something best left to the diaper user and it approaches the grey area of sexuality, as well as personal preference. One just has to experiment and find out themselves.

Last edited:
DIAPERBOY920 said:
Pointing down is generally recognized as best so not aiming away from the absorbent area or towards the edge or even outside it, but erections can cause the aim to move on its own. A proper sized diaper that still provides a waist seal and generously covers the direction of the erect penis with absorbent padding is important. Personally, I find intentionally leaving a penis pouch where the diaper is loose around my member but sealed against the legs and waist seems to provide the best protection and comfort - a tight pouch is more likely to cause discomfort and lock the penis into position as the diaper gets wet.

My flaccid penis usually migrates to pointing down on its own when going about my regular awake activities, while the bedtime diaper change requires manual adjustment down after an erection subsides.

While awake and not laying down, the best position may actually be pointed up to utilize the most padding when standing or seated. I imagine both those with and without penises suffer from being more prone to leaks when seated where the compressed padding simply cannot absorb as effectively and leak - in that case those of us with a penis benefit from pointing up versus down.

Obviously everyone's penis and body shapes are different, so diapering technique and shape, size and cut of the diaper will work better or worse for each individual - hence experimentation and practice to find out what works best for YOU. Wearing a diaper certainly doesn't imply loss of erections or sexual tensions, so short of a cock cage or overtightened diaper it's very difficult to keep it in one specific position - a properly sized diaper with ample absorbency in the front and a sealed fit can greatly influence your experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadianfalls, BBBen, Edgewater and 1 other person
DreamerBen said:
I will train at home first. And see if it can reduce the uncomfortable wetness around the leg guards. It usually dries quite fast but still uncomfortable. Also I think it can smells.

Anyway, most of the times leaks are when I'm seating and can't can't resist an urge 😥. In that case, I can't do anything but hope for the best. Most of the times it's OK. But sometimes I'm getting some small leaks at the back of the legs (nothing major until now).

Is it the same for men's? Are your leaks worse when you're wetting when seating?
When in a seated position, I do find that if there's a leak, it will typically be due to flooding overwhelming 1 or both leak guards and gravity carrying the puddle to the upper back of my thighs before the pull-ups or diaper can absorb it all. If I'm not wearing PUL pants over my pull-ups or diaper, this results in a "crescent moon" spot next to the midline seam of my trousers on 1 or both sides.

Reactions: Edgewater
Zeke said:
I couldn’t get past that last statement without adding my agreement, even before finishing reading the rest of your comment, Edgewater. And then I went back before posting this just to make sure that you didn’t say anything too radical and I find your next sentence which I strongly believe. Then you went into areas beyond my experience when you commented on non-cloth diapers so I’m just going trust you on that part.
I work hard at being a bit radical, good friend! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Zeke and AttilaThePun
AttilaThePun said:
How about pleats in the center, long ones that extend parallel to the midline of the body? But then, once the outer shell expands, how and where is the bulk carried by the wearer?
Well, I have finishing thinking about your comment regarding pleating the center of the diaper. Pleating is currently being using by one of the major baby diaper companies and with a baby, this concept has some merit. That said, adults range widely in rate of flow and overall volume. What the pleating would do in a adult diaper is cause the urine flow to overflow the pleating and cause even great volume along the side guard(s).

Remember one of the big targets is to create that large "U" shaped center gusset, which help guys to set comfortable into and the gals to have the area to spray into.

I think we forget that we wear diapers to first and foremost; catch and contain!!

Reactions: Zeke, AttilaThePun and greatlake5
DreamerBen said:
I will train at home first. And see if it can reduce the uncomfortable wetness around the leg guards. It usually dries quite fast but still uncomfortable. Also I think it can smells.

Anyway, most of the times leaks are when I'm seating and can't can't resist an urge 😥. In that case, I can't do anything but hope for the best. Most of the times it's OK. But sometimes I'm getting some small leaks at the back of the legs (nothing major until now).

Is it the same for men's? Are your leaks worse when you're wetting when seating?
There is no question that setting is the worst position as it closes the gusset area down and the greater the volume and flow, the more leaking will occur!

Reactions: Zeke and AttilaThePun
BobbiSueEllen said:

And, once again, you have nailed it!!
Sadly, we are working again the tall piles of emails from those who want to wear their yoga pants while wearing diapers designed for even reasonable capacity.

Reactions: Canadianfalls, Zeke, AttilaThePun and 1 other person
Edgewater said:
And, once again, you have nailed it!!
Sadly, we are working again the tall piles of emails from those who want to wear their yoga pants while wearing diapers designed for even reasonable capacity.
I'll pile on this one too with the observation that many also incorrectly assume a tighter diaper is less likely to leak than a looser diaper! A diaper with sufficient absorbency and a non-stretching plastic back sheet is in fact more likely to leak when worn tightly as it prevents the padding from swelling and locking away the pee before it's forced out the sides and leaks... Fluids will always find the path of least resistance, and a diaper that is too tight (or padding your sitting on...) can't magically expand to absorb it and overcome your body weight or tightness. Of course, there's a happy Goldilocks level of tightness and correct taping that'll vary based on each diaper and body shapes. Compression pants and/or pants that aren't roomy enough have also been shown to decrease absorbency - modern disposable products with SAP need room to expand to perform the best.

I'm still amazed by my Tena Maxi diapers that while starting out incredibly thin expand and absorb so much compared to most other diapers that start out much thicker. It's such an outlier in design / materials that it's hard to mentally trust them when my regular diapers start out with more than twice the bulk!

• Thinking
Reactions: AttilaThePun and BobbiSueEllen
PupSpaz said:
I'll pile on this one too with the observation that many also incorrectly assume a tighter diaper is less likely to leak than a looser diaper! A diaper with sufficient absorbency and a non-stretching plastic back sheet is in fact more likely to leak when worn tightly as it prevents the padding from swelling and locking away the pee before it's forced out the sides and leaks... Fluids will always find the path of least resistance, and a diaper that is too tight (or padding your sitting on...) can't magically expand to absorb it and overcome your body weight or tightness. Of course, there's a happy Goldilocks level of tightness and correct taping that'll vary based on each diaper and body shapes. Compression pants and/or pants that aren't roomy enough have also been shown to decrease absorbency - modern disposable products with SAP need room to expand to perform the best.

I'm still amazed by my Tena Maxi diapers that while starting out incredibly thin expand and absorb so much compared to most other diapers that start out much thicker. It's such an outlier in design / materials that it's hard to mentally trust them when my regular diapers start out with more than twice the bulk!
Hmm, likely you assume far more than offered.

• Thinking
I think women are less likely to leak as there pee is always directed into the centre of the nappy so it soaks more evenly. I always try and point my penis straight down but often moves to the side usually when in bed so end up peeing close to the leg gathering and then leaking

• Thinking
Pino said:
My answer may sound a little strange, i think women can get out more capacity out of diaper. Why? Because i do use condom catheter at times, but not as usually intended. So it happens that i do still wear them after "my use" of it, but with a diaper instead of a bag. The opening is much more in the middle crotch area this way and when lying down (on my side / stomach) i will definitively leak less than without.

My leaks usually happen between the legs while sitting most of the time, next is in the front when lying in the bed.
I did not thought about my statement to be confusing, to be clear, i do use the condom catheter for medical use only, it is a possibility to fix an short time catheter without the need of a Foley for a short period of time. My urologist knows and approves this.

blueberry said:
At night however when a woman wets, once the middle portion between the legs is saturated everything starts to fill the butt padding. I’ve found that in most diapers the butt padding isn’t quite as thick or absorbent as the front portion therefore I imagine many woman who are heavy wetters would leak out of the back waste-band not to mention having to lay in the wet part of the diaper all night which can lead to skin breakdown. At least for us guys when we wet it starts out in the bottom front portion of the diaper and then makes its way down through the crotch/perineal area. I am a pretty heavy wetter and rarely do I wake up with the butt padding fully saturated, the diaper usually leaks out the front or sides before then.
I confirm. At night, the butt padding is always the weak point. At least with Tena Pants Maxi and Molicare Mobile.

I'm mostly a back or side sleeper and when I wake up during the night, the back always feels wet 😪.
And curiously it does not feel as wet and uncomfortable between the legs despite being saturated.
It often gets sore and irritated on my back because of that. But it's not as bad as when I get proper rashes between my thighs (and folds).

And for information I don't get leaks out of the back waste band but more on the back legs cuffs.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and Edgewater
@DreamerBen I would guess it (wet feeling) is due to your body pressing against the saturated area of your diaper causes urine to come in contact with your skin.

Keeping the little scoundrel in a more or less stable position can be challenging for us males. However, experimenting with slight variations in general diaper positioning and adding a booster or two can be helpful. Sadly there is no "100% fix for everyone" method. One has to try things out until having a desired outcome.

Cheers

Last edited:
Male here. I've been incontinent for 30 years. Tried every position with disposables for years and never found a "best" position. I used cloth at home, which made the issue irrelevant.

After 14 years in diapers, I had a radical prostatectomy for aggressive cancer. I was already incontinent with permanent erectile dysfunction because of a genetic disorder, so I figured nothing would change following the surgery. Wrong! Doctors don't inform you that you lose 1.5" (3.8cm) of penis length during the removal of the prostate. I point straight out now--I cannot choose up, down, or sideways--and there is no tumescence to influence it. The surgery also affected my incontinence. Most days now I tend to constantly leak unknowingly (I do sense my diaper becoming saturated over time). What I find is when I'm constantly leaking, penis direction is irrelevant and the fluid moves throughout the diaper much better; the padding becomes saturated throughout. If I have a heavy void, because of where I now naturally point, I hit the sweet spot, saturating the front with over saturation flowing down through the crotch.

Bottom line, I think all these discussions regarding adult diapers is because they don't work as well as a child's diaper because: size difference between adults and children; difference of scale between the location of the urethra opening of male and female adults vs male & female children; inconsistent voiding for adult incontinence vs typical voiding patterns for non toilet trained children; etc.

I keep thinking about how incorporating a dedicated non absorbent wicking layer under the padding of an adult disposable diaper would be a game changer. Whether adult male or female, the issue is to move excess fluids away from an individual's target zone throughout the rest of the diaper, whatever position they are in.

CheshireCat said:
Male here. I've been incontinent for 30 years. Tried every position with disposables for years and never found a "best" position. I used cloth at home, which made the issue irrelevant.

After 14 years in diapers, I had a radical prostatectomy for aggressive cancer. I was already incontinent with permanent erectile dysfunction because of a genetic disorder, so I figured nothing would change following the surgery. Wrong! Doctors don't inform you that you lose 1.5" (3.8cm) of penis length during the removal of the prostate. I point straight out now--I cannot choose up, down, or sideways--and there is no tumescence to influence it. The surgery also affected my incontinence. Most days now I tend to constantly leak unknowingly (I do sense my diaper becoming saturated over time). What I find is when I'm constantly leaking, penis direction is irrelevant and the fluid moves throughout the diaper much better; the padding becomes saturated throughout. If I have a heavy void, because of where I now naturally point, I hit the sweet spot, saturating the front with over saturation flowing down through the crotch.

Bottom line, I think all these discussions regarding adult diapers is because they don't work as well as a child's diaper because: size difference between adults and children; difference of scale between the location of the urethra opening of male and female adults vs male & female children; inconsistent voiding for adult incontinence vs typical voiding patterns for non toilet trained children; etc.

I keep thinking about how incorporating a dedicated non absorbent wicking layer under the padding of an adult disposable diaper would be a game changer. Whether adult male or female, the issue is to move excess fluids away from an individual's target zone throughout the rest of the diaper, whatever position they are in.
You comments are right-out of Cloth Diaper101, use of a liner to hold the soil from entering the cloth, which easies clean-up, but also helps increase urine flow-out to other regions of the diaper!

Sadly, manufacturers are either looking at means of reducing the cost of diapers to meet the demands of Institutional buyers for ultra-low cost diapers or huge capacity diapers. With hope, 2024 will bring some sanity to the industry.

I am anticipating some unique changes in 2024!

Last edited:
  • Thinking
Reactions: CheshireCat and AttilaThePun
Back