Absorption male vs female

MarineJohn

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Thoughts on diaper absorption.

This evening my wife and I got home and I had sprung a small leak. I was wearing a Rearz daydreamer which says it has a 11,000 mL capacity. I know I was nowhere near that amount.

It made me wonder if the capacity is different for men versus women due to the location where we leak relative to our anatomy.

Reactions: Canadianfalls, BigAl2, Woncrinklz and 3 others
Good question. The fact is that medicine as a whole spectrum is based around male physiology. Some products are of course specifically for women but diapers seem to be unisex.

• Thinking
Reactions: ruach, Canadianfalls, LittleLeahx and 5 others
I have female anatomy, and I can tell you that if I wet in the same spot without adjusting my position at all, I will leak far before a diaper has come close to its capacity. It's always more in the middle, around the leg guards. I try to bend slightly over, or on all fours, and on my back to get more mileage out of a diaper.

As for my stress incontinence, it tends to happen when I'm sitting, though not always. I have no control as far as that is concerned, but since it's far less than my regular voids, I usually have minimal worries with leaks if I'm wearing a diaper or cloth trainers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jorelaxed, PuffPuffPaci, PaddedCub and 8 others
That diaper won't absorb that much even if you threw it in a lake. False advertising if you ask me.

I'd say I never noticed a huge difference between how wet my ex and I were before we'd typically need to change. As a guy, I can obviously cheat and point up to soak the front pad of the diaper like she never could, but she'd never have to worry about her dick pointing drastically to one side and leaking out one leg all of a sudden. There's advantages and disadvantages to both sets of plumbing.

• Haha
Reactions: Canadianfalls, Inco63, PuffPuffPaci and 11 others
Bearcatz said:
but she'd never have to worry about her dick pointing drastically to one side and leaking out one leg all of a sudden. There's advantages and disadvantages to both sets of plumbing.
Yes you sure are right about that. Special if the one you have is kind of a bigger size.

Reactions: Canadianfalls, CLPP, BigAl2 and 3 others
Bearcatz said:
That diaper won't absorb that much even if you threw it in a lake. False advertising if you ask me.

I'd say I never noticed a huge difference between how wet my ex and I were before we'd typically need to change. As a guy, I can obviously cheat and point up to soak the front pad of the diaper like she never could, but she'd never have to worry about her dick pointing drastically to one side and leaking out one leg all of a sudden. There's advantages and disadvantages to both sets of plumbing.
Don't anger The Lady Of The Lake by throwing diapers at her... she might lob a scimitar at you!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Joeysms, KaleidoscopeKitty, DiaperArch and 4 others
All diapers leak, that said, the majority of the leaks are caused by not putting them on correctly.

Cloth diapers continue to wick liquid away and elsewhere into the diaper, but they have other limitations. The greatest part about cloth diapers is they require one to wear a diaper cover (plastic pants).

I my opinion, all diapers should require plastic pants as leaks are something that no one wants!

The super high-volume diapers are heavily designed for marketing as most Humans are unable to provide that volume within 24 hours, let alone want the weight of carrying that volume.

For men, adjusting location is a requirement, for women it about standing and adjusting the diaper.

Reactions: Joeysms, DinoFrant, Canadianfalls and 10 others
This topic has always fascinated me. While it’s obvious that boys can utilize more of the padding area by maneuvering themselves in different point positions, if you are incontinent you are likely not walking around adjusting yourself throughout the day.

I believe the optimal position to let the diaper do most of the work is to always point down into the middle. Since woman don’t have to worry about shifting/ maneuvering during the day I would think that would mean they have it a little easier than their male diaper wearers. In my personal experience the worst is when you get out of the car going from sitting to standing which can open the floodgates and your parts are pointed to the side…

At night however when a woman wets, once the middle portion between the legs is saturated everything starts to fill the butt padding. I’ve found that in most diapers the butt padding isn’t quite as thick or absorbent as the front portion therefore I imagine many woman who are heavy wetters would leak out of the back waste-band not to mention having to lay in the wet part of the diaper all night which can lead to skin breakdown. At least for us guys when we wet it starts out in the bottom front portion of the diaper and then makes its way down through the crotch/perineal area. I am a pretty heavy wetter and rarely do I wake up with the butt padding fully saturated, the diaper usually leaks out the front or sides before then.

Reactions: Sparrow75, abcdef, Canadianfalls and 6 others
The further along I progress with my Diaper Training,

The less often I experience leaks.

As my bladder capacity shrinks slowly over the years,

The Diapers have an easier time locking away all the moisture.

It's also important to experiment with different diapers, sizes, and boosters.

• Love
Reactions: Sidewinder, Diprs2, AttilaThePun and 2 others
I suppose it's a matter of repositioning for both sexes.

Once again, I'd like to try the concept of expandable outer shell like them thar versions on the market for garbage bags like "Force flex". If they could make the diaper shell expandable where leaks happen the most: The crotch and upper front toward the sides- maybe it would help.
I may have to buy some of these garbage bags, then make a prototype and report back. It might prove interesting. Surely fun.

The main drag for me is I don't know of a good adhesive medium to connect this crotch panel to, say, a Daydreamer diaper, or equivalent to see if it makes any difference.
But I see the whole blueprint in my head now. The shape to cut, the procedure, etc. I just don't know what the best adhesive is to use, so I'd do it if anyone knows. It might be a fun project for me.

I rule-out the entire diaper in the expandable outer shell because there needs to be support in certain places where expanding may not be desired.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2 and AttilaThePun
Woncrinklz said:
I suppose it's a matter of repositioning for both sexes.

Once again, I'd like to try the concept of expandable outer shell like them thar versions on the market for garbage bags like "Force flex". If they could make the diaper shell expandable where leaks happen the most: The crotch and upper front toward the sides- maybe it would help.
I may have to buy some of these garbage bags, then make a prototype and report back. It might prove interesting. Surely fun.

The main drag for me is I don't know of a good adhesive medium to connect this crotch panel to, say, a Daydreamer diaper, or equivalent to see if it makes any difference.
But I see the whole blueprint in my head now. The shape to cut, the procedure, etc. I just don't know what the best adhesive is to use, so I'd do it if anyone knows. It might be a fun project for me.

I rule-out the entire diaper in the expandable outer shell because there needs to be support in certain places where expanding may not be desired.
How about pleats in the center, long ones that extend parallel to the midline of the body? But then, once the outer shell expands, how and where is the bulk carried by the wearer?

• Thinking
Reactions: Tenaman, Diprs2 and Edgewater
My answer may sound a little strange, i think women can get out more capacity out of diaper. Why? Because i do use condom catheter at times, but not as usually intended. So it happens that i do still wear them after "my use" of it, but with a diaper instead of a bag. The opening is much more in the middle crotch area this way and when lying down (on my side / stomach) i will definitively leak less than without.

My leaks usually happen between the legs while sitting most of the time, next is in the front when lying in the bed.

• Wow
  • Thinking
Reactions: Diprs2, AttilaThePun and Edgewater
Edgewater said:
All diapers leak, that said, the majority of the leaks are caused by not putting them on correctly.

Cloth diapers continue to wick liquid away and elsewhere into the diaper, but they have other limitations. The greatest part about cloth diapers is they require one to wear a diaper cover (plastic pants).

I my opinion, all diapers should require plastic pants as leaks are something that no one wants!

The super high-volume diapers are heavily designed for marketing as most Humans are unable to provide that volume within 24 hours, let alone want the weight of carrying that volume.
I wear an Abena and when I go to bed, I add a good booster (NS Eternadry contour [24" with 10.5] 10.5 2XL) doubler. And I always use Peva plastic pants (roomy, great quality and cheaper -Etsy). And they rarely leaks (and I use a larger bed pad in case of a leak). I consider an expert. I only use an Ecoable cloth diaper if I'm playing tennis, bike, and softball. I prefer the doubler for sleeping (BM's). I wear my diaper correctly. During the day I can get by with my Abena (4 - 6 hours). Men and ladies have the same quality diapers as long you wear them correctly.

• Love
Reactions: Canadianfalls, Edgewater, Diprs2 and 2 others
in a man, the diaper may leak due to the wrong position of the penis, for example upwards instead of downwards

Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and AttilaThePun
JulestheFloof said:
I have female anatomy, and I can tell you that if I wet in the same spot without adjusting my position at all, I will leak far before a diaper has come close to its capacity. It's always more in the middle, around the leg guards. I try to bend slightly over, or on all fours, and on my back to get more mileage out of a diaper.

As for my stress incontinence, it tends to happen when I'm sitting, though not always. I have no control as far as that is concerned, but since it's far less than my regular voids, I usually have minimal worries with leaks if I'm wearing a diaper or cloth trainers.
It's the same for me. It's always dripping or gushing at the same spot. It's fine with the Tena Lady pads who are quite well distributing the wetness along the entire protection. But with the pull ups it tends to remains at the same spot between the legs.
That might leads to small leaks around the leg guards even if it's dry upfront or higher at the back. It's even worse when seating.
Hopefully it's usually small leaks and it dries without really staining my clothes.

To be honest I didn't think of doing what you do and bend while wetting. Do you avoid a lot of leaks like that? Not very discreet around other people 😅

Reactions: Canadianfalls, Edgewater, Diprs2 and 1 other person
Edgewater said:
I couldn’t get past that last statement without adding my agreement, even before finishing reading the rest of your comment, Edgewater. And then I went back before posting this just to make sure that you didn’t say anything too radical and I find your next sentence which I strongly believe. Then you went into areas beyond my experience when you commented on non-cloth diapers so I’m just going trust you on that part.

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and AttilaThePun
DIAPERBOY920 said:
in a man, the diaper may leak due to the wrong position of the penis, for example upwards instead of downwards
Or sideways toward a leg hole, or diagonally toward the least amount of padding, or... 🤣

For that matter, sometimes the distribution of urine from the female urethral opening under pressure can be kinda Rainbird sprinkler-ish (a common complaint among several women of my acquaintance).

Reactions: Canadianfalls, Edgewater, Zeke and 2 others
DreamerBen said:
It's the same for me. It's always dripping or gushing at the same spot. It's fine with the Tena Lady pads who are quite well distributing the wetness along the entire protection. But with the pull ups it tends to remains at the same spot between the legs.
That might leads to small leaks around the leg guards even if it's dry upfront or higher at the back. It's even worse when seating.
Hopefully it's usually small leaks and it dries without really staining my clothes.

To be honest I didn't think of doing what you do and bend while wetting. Do you avoid a lot of leaks like that? Not very discreet around other people 😅
Well, one could always make a courtly bow or a curtsy with a forward bend - still conspicuous, but people would think "odd manners" rather than "oh, peeing" ! 🤔 Or, feign interest in an item on a low display shelf, drop a keyring and pick it up, whatever comes to mind!

• Haha
Reactions: DreamerBenenedicte and Diprs2
AttilaThePun said:
Well, one could always make a courtly bow or a curtsy with a forward bend - still conspicuous, but people would think "odd manners" rather than "oh, peeing" ! 🤔 Or, feign interest in an item on a low display shelf, drop a keyring and pick it up, whatever comes to mind!
Without the wicking ability inherent in cloth diapers it’s a tough task for woman to get the liquid distributed throughout the diaper. For me with my terry towel liner, soaker, and nighttime prefold I can point my unit up and into the towel and pee sleeping on my side or back all night. If I happen to change earlier in the day with this arrangement the wicking of a cotton diaper will have me soaked from front to back by the time for my next change without going through orientational gymnastics.

Reactions: Edgewater and AttilaThePun
AttilaThePun said:
I will train at home first. And see if it can reduce the uncomfortable wetness around the leg guards. It usually dries quite fast but still uncomfortable. Also I think it can smells.

Anyway, most of the times leaks are when I'm seating and can't can't resist an urge 😥. In that case, I can't do anything but hope for the best. Most of the times it's OK. But sometimes I'm getting some small leaks at the back of the legs (nothing major until now).

Is it the same for men's? Are your leaks worse when you're wetting when seating?

Reactions: Edgewater and AttilaThePun
Back