Vintage diapers with shiny textured plastic

MegaLugia said:
Much like Pampers, it's a shame Huggies no longer makes plastic-backed diapers
All major corporate makers abandoned plastic in favor of the dreaded woven nylon fabric shortly after the start of the millennium to make bigger profit and cut production costs.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Reactions: MegaLugia and Angelapinks
BabyTweetyBird said:
All major corporate makers abandoned plastic in favor of the dreaded woven nylon fabric shortly after the start of the millennium to make bigger profit and cut production costs.
That's a shame, I'm so lucky I grew up with that generation of disposable baby diapers back in the early 90s. I figured the diaper producers like Kimberly-Clark (Depends and Huggies), and Proctor and Gamble (Luvs and Pampers) would phase out plastic backed ones (likely due to environmental issues, since the plastics would of take thousands of years to biodegrade in the landfills). The plastic-backed ones may have also costed more to produce for Kimberly-Clark and P&G.

I miss the days when the big brands made plastic backed ones, even I would preserve them, never to be solid (besides the environmental and landfill issues and becoming harder to find new old stock ones). But luckily, we still have the ABDL products (even I would preserve those too).

I bet by now, the value of these new-old stock plastic-backed era Depends, Huggies, Pampers, and Luvs might even go up just for the plastic-backed ban.

This also kind of reminds me when raincoats (another personal "fetish" that I love along with diapers) started transition to Gore-Tex after previously relying on mostly rubber and especially vinyl (a.k.a. PVC) for many decades all because of concerns with vinyl being toxic and cancerous than rubber or Gore-Tex. Yet, the one thing I still love about vinyl raincoats and ponchos, is the shininess (even when its dry). The only downside is that vinyl and rubber raincoats and ponchos are not quite as ventilated compared to Gore-Tex and may still have that "chemical smell" (typically on vinyl ones). But even on a cooler autumn or early spring rainy day, I still love wearing them (sometimes, even without a hoodie or a sweatshirt).

This also reminds me of when McDonalds started to phase out the Styrofoam food packaging around as early as 1991 or so. Before when they banned Styrofoam packaging, I heard that the food used to taste better back then compared to the cardboard packaging they have now. And all just for environmental and landfill reasons since the Styrofoam also takes thousands of years to biodegrade like old plastic-backed diapers in the landfill.

But as for plastic-backed diapers, I would still love to preserve them as a "tribute" before when the big brands started to move on to woven nylon fabric. I even would love to dress my Pokémon plushies in them.

• Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 56273
LilPaddedBunny said:
Those diamond textured diapers look intriguing though. I like the feel of the scrunched up plastic, where the leg elastic goes up each side of the back of the diaper, so I would probably love a diaper with an all-over texture!
I do too! I also love wearing thin pj's over a diaper like that where to outline of the padding and those elastic ridges show through.

Reactions: MegaLugia
MegaLugia said:
But as for plastic-backed diapers, I would still love to preserve them as a "tribute" before when the big brands started to move on to woven nylon fabric.
Not all corporate brands switched to woven nylon fabric, a few companies such as Mega Disposables and Linette continued plastic-backed baby diaper production until the 2010s.

For example modern Babylino diapers produced after the MD takeover in 2007 were plastic-backed until 2011.

s-l1600.jpg

Afterwards they followed the mandatory suit forcing them to comply with the ban.

Last edited by a moderator:
BabyTweetyBird said:
I never saw an actual baby diaper up close in recent years, but I was under the assumption they are still plastic diapers with a fabric sheet over the top to make them feel softer. That's how Goodnites are made. You can actually peel off the fabric and turn them into a plastic diaper. There's still a lot less plastic used though, as the sides are completely fabric.

Are baby diapers completely waterproof underneath like Goodnites are? One thing I hate about adult cloth diapers are that they let moisture through. All the ones I have tried have plastic underneath, but they must put small holes in it for ventilation or something. Every time I wet one they feel cold and clammy, and the moisture wicks to the outside and makes my jeans damp. That's why I never wear cloth diapers other than Goodnites. I don't understand why they make them like this. A good plastic backed disposable doesn't feel uncomfortable like a plastic bag. The inside is still soft fabric and I don't have issues with them being sweaty or clammy if you powder before wearing one.

• Thinking
Reactions: MegaLugia and Angelapinks
70sPampers said:
Based on what you described I think you would've liked the original 1978 original line of Huggies vintage diapers. They featured leg gathers, were unbelievable THICK and padded, and they featured textured plastic similar to vintage Pampers. (The diamond pattern was debossed (pressed inwards) instead of embossed (raised outwards). Plus, the plastic was "oh my goodness" supple!!!
Those look great and super comfy! I assume I wore something similar or whatever came shortly after. I was born in the early 80s. From what I can remember from seeing my younger brother and other younger relatives in diapers, the diapers at the time were mostly all white and plastic and sometimes had prints near the top. The all-over positional prints and cloth feel didn't come around until sometime in the 90s.

Reactions: 70sPampers
LilPaddedBunny said:
You can actually peel off the fabric and turn them into a plastic diaper.
I tried the trick with Gen3 Pampers Swaddlers with no luck.

BabyTweetyBird said:
I tried the trick with Gen3 Pampers Swaddlers with no luck.
On the Goodnites the fabric is very loosely attached, and comes off easily. Sometimes it starts to peel on its own after wearing them for a while. You just have to be careful so the plastic underneath doesn't get torn. So are modern baby diapers actually fully waterproof, with plastic underneath? I always wondered this. Adult cloth diapers are definitely not waterproof, even though they have plastic inside. The moisture still gets out.

70sPampers said:
Yeah, same here. I wish I had money burning a hole in my pocket for those $300+ purple box Pampers! To me the purple box (some photos make the box look bright pink) toddler size are the "gold standard" of vintage 70s era diapers!

For those who did not click on the eBay link, here are the photos from that auction:

View attachment 114434View attachment 114435View attachment 114436View attachment 114437View attachment 114438View attachment 114439
Looks like these babies are sold. Someone has a great pice of history to add to their collection. I would put these in a glass box and seal them from aging anymore. The box like this was in my closet for years.

LilPaddedBunny said:
the diapers at the time were mostly all white and plastic and sometimes had prints near the top
Printed diapers didn't came into surface until late 1985/early 1986. They became increasingly popular during the whole 1990s decade.

BabyTweetyBird said:
Printed diapers didn't came into surface until late 1985/early 1986. They became increasingly popular during the whole 1990s decade.
My brother was born in 1989 when I was 6, so that's about when I started to see diapers. I don't remember much but I remember some being all white and some having some kind of print on them. By that time the prints would have been used though.

Oh he was in a great time for diapers. Gender specific diapers was all the rage with all three name brands coming up with ideas for boys and girls diapers. The Ultra Pampers for Boys is in my avatar. Along with the Disney babies on the taping panel. Magical diapers for sure.

Reactions: ILuvPampers
Pampers4Ever said:
Oh he was in a great time for diapers. Gender specific diapers was all the rage with all three name brands coming up with ideas for boys and girls diapers. The Ultra Pampers for Boys is in my avatar. Along with the Disney babies on the taping panel. Magical diapers for sure.
Luvs Deluxe for Boys were the driving force which led me to buy a purple bag of baby blue Attends in 1987.

Reactions: Pampers4Ever
1692058829548.png

• Love
Reactions: Iron, theancientmariner, DarkWolf and 3 others
What a beautify.

Pampers4Ever said:
Looks like these babies are sold. Someone has a great pice of history to add to their collection. I would put these in a glass box and seal them from aging anymore. The box like this was in my closet for years.
As of this posting date, these are NOT sold. They are still available for the same $300+ price as before (although the seller will send occasional discounts to those who have added the item to their "Watch List." Plus the seller is accepting offers...

Reactions: Pampers4Ever, MegaLugia and Deleted member 56273
Pampers4Ever said:
That's some cool Luvs there. It looks like Sesame Street on those Luvs. Disney (such as Baby Mickey Mouse) and Barney all come into mind. I wonder what other children's franchises were on the plastic backed ones? Those Sesame Street Luvs must be from the early 90s I bet.

Reactions: Absorblock, Pampers4Ever, MegaLugia and 1 other person
70sPampers said:
As of this posting date, these are NOT sold. They are still available for the same $300+ price as before (although the seller will send occasional discounts to those who have added the item to their "Watch List." Plus the seller is accepting offers...

Got it, I was looking through the completed auctions and ran across the same listing. It showed it in green as being sold. I’m guessing someone did not pay for them and the seller relisted them.

Reactions: KnappFlannel
I'm more of an 80's guy myself, but I wanted pass along an item I keep coming across on ebay.

The 70's "diapermate" vintage diaper dispenser came with 10 large Pampers included. I've seen several listings over the past year, a few of which the sellers didn't clock the included value of the pampers.

The most recent one sold accepted "best price" for $150 listing, and I want to say offered me $125, but I passed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 56273, Pampers4Ever and MegaLugia
Back