You ever feel guilty? (Environment)

Labrador

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
I’m aiming this mostly at DLs, but do you ever feel guilty about the waste you are generating—micro plastics and all that? I’m not judging—I’d be a raging hypocrit if I did—just wondering if it bothers anyone else sometimes.

It troubles me some times—when it’s dark and quiet and my anxiety begins to perk up, but it doesn’t stop me from wearing them. I only go through about 2-10 per week anyway depending on my mood, so I imagine I’m probably average or slightly below, but certainly use more than a lot of people.

I have seen some articles while worrying about this, that were commenting on how the large amount of adult incontinence products in landfills is due to the aging population. While I’m sure that is certainly part of it, I can’t help but think
“Uh, huh, elderly people. Right. That’s where all the used adult diapers are coming from.” 😏

• Haha
Reactions: Lostdiapersboy and theancientmariner
No, because my wife and I will never have children. No matter how many diapers I use during my life, it will still be less waste than procreating.

• Thinking
Reactions: Lostdiapersboy, googlyeyes467, dous and 5 others
Ashton84 said:
No, because my wife and I will never have children. No matter how many diapers I use during my life, it will still be less waste than procreating.
Hahahaha i feel the same way

Reactions: Ashton84
I do like disposables, but I also like cloth nappies.

Partly that’s an environmental thing, but it’s also because my mother used both on me. I was brought up in the 80s and 90s, but I think she was ahead of the curve on environmental issues.

Reactions: sbmccue, DBabygirl2 and Zernesti333
Yes and no…

Yes on the basis of single use plastics. I dare say in time, we will see nappy producers using more and more recycled plastics to help mitigate the environmental impact.

No, on the basis that wearing nappies is my happy place, and I couldn’t loose that.

To put it into context, the environmental impact wearing a few nappies is probably much less than that of those who enjoy their life jetting all around the world on holidays constantly🤷‍♂️

Reactions: dous, theancientmariner and surprise35
Labrador said:
I’m aiming this mostly at DLs, but do you ever feel guilty about the waste you are generating—micro plastics and all that? I’m not judging—I’d be a raging hypocrit if I did—just wondering if it bothers anyone else sometimes.

It troubles me some times—when it’s dark and quiet and my anxiety begins to perk up, but it doesn’t stop me from wearing them. I only go through about 2-10 per week anyway depending on my mood, so I imagine I’m probably average or slightly below, but certainly use more than a lot of people.

I have seen some articles while worrying about this, that were commenting on how the large amount of adult incontinence products in landfills is due to the aging population. While I’m sure that is certainly part of it, I can’t help but think
“Uh, huh, elderly people. Right. That’s where all the used adult diapers are coming from.” 😏
I would say that the legit adult diaper community uses more diapers exponentially than the AB/DL crowd.

In one case it is a necessity in the other case... not so much.

littlemoosey said:
I would say that the legit adult diaper community uses more diapers exponentially than the AB/DL crowd.
You may be right. The world’s population is aging, and ABDL is a relatively rare fetish.
But I’m sure we are a part of it. It would be hard to say without tracking where each diaper comes from.

Reactions: littlemoosey
NOPE. Not an ounce.

Reactions: Redscales
I do feel guilty for that aspect since I don’t have to wear. If I did, then the whole cloth vs disposable debate would seem irrelevant as it’s really a trade off: lots and lots of washing.

We do our best to recycle what we can but at the end of the day: the diapers were made and one way or the other will be disposed. So I don’t feel as personally responsible.

I have this vision of earth 1 million years from now. All those diapers in landfills will have created great oil deposits, and since man will have wiped themselves out multiple times with multiple nuclear wars, civilizations starting over and over, cars will be reinvented and the future civilization will be very thankful that primitive man (us) created all those deposits, just like the dinosaurs.

• Haha
Reactions: dous, DLWee, ade and 2 others
I don't mind too much because ABDL is rare. If my living situation allowed for it, I would probably give cloth more of a try.

Reactions: dous and DLWee
I don't care about the Environment.

Reactions: Redscales, dous and bambinobaby
Honestly I feel diapers are already the most eco friendly products that exist. If human waste and pee and subliminal plastics and fibers are really polluting our world then we really have our head’s screwed on too tight. I don’t feel guilty because diapers serve two purposes…they’re there for those who need them and those who want them. I hope plastic backed ones never completely go away because the comfort and protection is the ultimate

Reactions: littlemoosey
Other food for thought…if they really were that bad for the environment why aren’t we all dead already

Reactions: 12srepaid, littlemoosey and Redscales
Cutiedan83 said:
if they really were that bad for the environment why aren’t we all dead already
For the sake of argument, because it hasn't gotten to that point yet. There are plenty of things that are bad, but only do damage in the long term—like a poisoning.
But again, I’m wearing one right now, so I can’t—and won’t—judge anyone for this.

Not as much as when I started wearing diapers as abdl. As a baby irl I was in cloth.. I do my part now to eliminate waste by wearing cloth diapers most of the time, and only wearing disposable if traveling or in public.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 62493
Yes. Lately I've been wearing cloth training pants more often than disposable diapers, partly for this reason.

I too only wear disposables when going out or traveling otherwise cloth at home. So, I don't feel too guilty as I have avoided multiple accidents while traveling and am in-between rest stops when I have to go.

Yes I am very aware of the impact all my Nappies have on the environment but not using them means potentially using a washing machine every other day or smelling very bad.
All the other things I have tried ended up giving me serious infections whereas Nappies have never given me any problems except leaks and rare rashes that are easily dealt with.
So every week my two really heavy bags of Nappies go to landfill and I do feel guilty but what can you do ?

I do acknowledge the environmental impact, especially when it comes to the gradual anaerobic decay of waste. Luckily, I live in California and we take waste sorting very seriously here, so my waste footprint even with the diapers isn't as bad as the average American. I barely send any trash to landfill because most of my trash is either accepted in our recycling program or it's organic, which I put in the green bin. Starting in 2022 sorting waste into organics and recyclables was mandated in California, and starting next January they will start issuing fines for contaminated bins.
So heads up to my fellow Californians, make sure to separate your food scraps and put them in your green bin! This also includes paper towels, tissues, and pizza boxes.

Reactions: Sealander
Back