"You can just use your diaper." Hmmm, if only it was that simple!

slimjiminy

Diabetes, type-2
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
This is more of a mild rant:

Recently I had to leave home to help my son with his disabled car. I was having a bad afternoon with IBS-d (diarrhea) and was reluctant to go. My wife said "well you can just use your diaper". The acceptance of that stunned me for a moment, but my issue was that it was not that simple. I wore a pull-up that day for just in case I didn't make it to the toilet, but I had no intention of using it, if it could be helped.

I should have put on my plastic pants as an added safety measure, but even that doesn't guarantee that the diarrhea doesn't leak out. Diarrhea is dreadful stuff since it does not absorb well, leaks past the leg openings and squirts up the spine when you sit. As things turned out, with some clenching on the drive home, I made it home unsoiled. I did use the toilet immediately upon arrival, however.

I guess it just gets me a little, when people think that the diaper is so "easy" for these types of problems.

• Sad
  • Thinking
Reactions: Diprs2, TinyBunny, Edgewater and 4 others
And even if you *can* use it, that doesn't mean that you *want to* use it!

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater, slimjiminy and 1 other person
I get diarrhea once or twice a week usually set off by salad I think. One day I had one with lunch, then ran out to the store, and I didn't make it home.

It's the worst to contain, worst to clean up, usually smells the worst, and usually burns the worst. Yea, it's just the worst. I think if I were you, I'd have said "hey babe, how well do you really think a pull-up can contain a quart of pudding?"

Reactions: Diprs2, slimjiminy, BigAl2 and 1 other person
Bearcatz said:
I get diarrhea once or twice a week usually set off by salad I think. One day I had one with lunch, then ran out to the store, and I didn't make it home.

It's the worst to contain, worst to clean up, usually smells the worst, and usually burns the worst. Yea, it's just the worst. I think if I were you, I'd have said "hey babe, how well do you really think a pull-up can contain a quart of pudding?"
Your hypothetical response had me clamping a hand over my mouth to stifle laughter at about 5am today, trying to keep from waking my wife!
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and BigAl2
Bearcatz said:
... Yea, it's just the worst. I think if I were you, I'd have said "hey babe, how well do you really think a pull-up can contain a quart of pudding?"
I also hate the comparison to pudding, because I like pudding -- just not the association!

• Haha
Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and AttilaThePun
slimjiminy said:
I also hate the comparison to pudding, because I like pudding -- just not the association!
Same here! How do you feel about applesauce? 😁

• Haha
Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
because we can doesn't mean we want to
#2 is extremely unpleasant to be in for any length of time.

I hear this around with parents and kids
just use your diaper / pullup

just because it's there doesn't mean we want to

Reactions: Diprs2, AttilaThePun, Edgewater and 1 other person
AttilaThePun said:
Same here! How do you feel about applesauce? 😁
I love applesauce, but due to IBS-d can't eat it anymore! I have to avoid all things apple. So much for "an apple a day keeps the doctor away"!

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, AttilaThePun and Edgewater
My 24/7, U-IC has me in diapers and with long practice of being well padded while out and about kind of ready for such an event. But like stated above, never want to, have too!

Reactions: Diprs2 and AttilaThePun
Anyone with F-IC, I think accepting to use your diaper helps you. If not you will struggle every time you have an accident. I understand that there's all types of F-IC. Diarrhea has to be the worst. Thankfully I rarely have loose stool. The last time was almost 2 years back. All I remember is that it was a disaster. The worst. Trying to simply use my diaper? Obviously it isn't that easy. But when you have absolutely zero control, your diaper is there for using. Without wearing the diaper, your house, a store or your work, be prepared for a catastrophe (and a real mess). If you have a tendency for having a loose stool accident, I suggest to wear the appropriate diaper (and plastic pants). It will be easier for use your diaper.

Reactions: Diprs2, AttilaThePun, chuck and 1 other person
Back