Would you move to mars?

Lily

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I feel like at this point everyone has heard about life being suitable in mars. Anyone thinking of moving to a whole new planet? Any prerequisites before moving? (Ie knowing cost, air quality, and long term effects to body)

The lack of a compatible magnetic field like present on earth has shown to lead to severe mental illness. It was once called 'Astronaut desease' before the cause was discovered. Nowadays portable magnetic field generators are used by NASA, but I doubt they're a proper replacement. The technology could be helpful in treating depression and other mental illnesses in many cases but is kept out of public attention like most good and needful things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope... especially since the ABU shipping would cost a few million dollars each time...

• Haha
Reactions: Diapercutie, Hemix, littledub1955 and 9 others
Thought about this lots of times.
The idea in itself I might actually enjoy (at least as long as the population is low enough not everyone [even in a small part of it] knows everything that's up with everyone else.) But a few things first, like ability to communicate with earth - that I guess would do now (I think I remember hearing it takes about 7 minutes to transmit any signal now) - but actual space travel technology (mostly top-end speed I guess) would need to improve. Mostly a week or two travel time NBD, BUT would want the ability to actually do it more than like once every 1.25 earth years (or whatever it is) - so not a HUGE deal - more like flying from New York to London (prep and timing wise)

ronnieM said:
Nope... especially since the ABU shipping would cost a few million dollars each time...
And if there is enough wanting them there - you don't think them or a similar Co. would produce the same product right there!?

Nope. It can get well below zero Fahrenheit on the warmest day. And I can't eat as many potatoes anymore...even with ketchup.

Plus, I refuse to turn the beat around. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: littledub1955, Traveller and Paddy2020
nwm said:
And if there is enough wanting them there - you don't think them or a similar Co. would produce the same product right there!?
Gotta have a lot of trees for wood pulp! Not mentioning what you'd need to make SAP and plastic.

Reactions: Traveller
ronnieM said:
Gotta have a lot of trees for wood pulp! Not mentioning what you'd need to make SAP and plastic.
In most cases, wood pulp could be replaced with a sort of pulp from a cannabis stem (paper at one point was made that way all the time) and it renews MUCH faster!
And the plastic - no idea off hand, but you want it bad enough, someone figures something out....

I like the air here. Perhaps in 40 centuries it might be more friendly (probably not).

Reactions: littledub1955
Lily said:
I feel like at this point everyone has heard about life being suitable in mars. Anyone thinking of moving to a whole new planet? Any prerequisites before moving? (Ie knowing cost, air quality, and long term effects to body)
No way. No diaper manufacturer on Mars!

• Haha
Reactions: littledub1955, Paddy2020 and BobbiSueEllen
Mars is not to my taste. Mars candy bars are. Mars has no magnetic field to keep the solar wind to not bake the planet. I burn awfully easy in the sun as it is. Not having a hot core and a magnetic field is what made the planet as it is now. No, I'll stay right here on ole planet earth where the good Lord wants me to be.

Reactions: littledub1955, Teddy, Zeke and 1 other person
If at some point in the future there was a colonization initiative I might be tempted.

A little off topic but for anyone interested, watch The Expanse on Amazon Prime Video it’s awesome!

DanielW said:
No, Mars isn't habitable. Microgravity is being shown to have negative affects on the brain, heart and eyes. and that's just a few of the issues besides the long-term radiation exposure both traveling TO Mars let alone trying to live there. As far as we know, nothing currently lives on the surface of Mars, Might be water and microorganisms under ground, but who can guess whether or not those would kill us

Maybe someday - when science catches uo
I always find it funny that people say "would you move to Mars" where all of the above are true and you can't run out of ways to say "humans aren't meant to live there" but no one says "would you move to a Pacific Island with 0-100 people?"

• Haha
Reactions: littledub1955, tiny and BobbiSueEllen
From what I remember of Bugs Bunny’s dealings with that little short Martian that wore the helmet with a brush on top of it they aren’t very friendly. Blowing up our planet just because it got in the way of their view! Good thing we had Bugs to save us.

• Haha
Reactions: GatoChihuahua, littledub1955, Traveller and 1 other person
I wouldn't live on Mars but I have lived on Saturn. Saturn was okay I guess except that BeatleJuice kept showing up and he's difficult to get along with!

• Haha
Reactions: littledub1955, Paddy2020 and BobbiSueEllen
Read that Jeff Bezos and his brother are going into space. Bezos will probably want to put an Amazon there.

• Haha
Reactions: littledub1955 and BobbiSueEllen
Paddy2020 said:
Read that Jeff Bezos and his brother are going into space. Bezos will probably want to put an Amazon there.
Bezos probably wants to buy chunks of the planet for cheap real estate....and now I have crazy "get rich in 400 years" ideas.

• Haha
Reactions: Traveller and BobbiSueEllen
Watch mars be loaded in oil and next thing you know it’s America vs cyberpunk 2077

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: tails1234 and BobbiSueEllen
My raving days taught me that there's one problem to be fixed first: Mars needs women!

:p

Reactions: dogboy
Back