Working without what you actually studied.

greatlake5

Profoundly incontinent since the beginning.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I have a young girl who works in my office. She graduated with a law degree but works at my office. I'm sure she just haven't taken the bar exam yet but she seems happy with what she does now. She probably makes more money than most lawyers.

I graduated my MBA degree (Northwestern University, Kelloggs School of Management) and manage my company. I think half of my employees have degrees that has nothing to do with what they studied. I'm just curious about what you do and what you studied or graduated for.

Reactions: perlFerret
I may be the perfect example of this. The only degree I have is an A.A. Liberal Arts. Job hopped for a few years in entry level jobs into the late 90’s and landed a IT deskside job in 2007 with only 6 years help desk experience and no formal training. 6 weeks later the system admin walked out and it was trial by fire for the first year, 15 years later and 2 buyouts I’m still in the IT department. Still with no formal training. A degree does not equate to intelligence, the ability to learn and adapt does. A degree will only get your foot in the door to an interview in lieu of experience.

Reactions: Deleted member 57387 and perlFerret
I have a colleague who dropped out of college as an undergrad and now has one official and one honorary Ph.D.

I, myself, have a Bachelor of Business Administration degree but I do software engineering. My mate has a degree in Art History and she sells upcycled toys for a living.

I'm hoping, once we do move to Quebec, I'll be able to enroll in a Master's program for Computer Science.

Last edited:
Engineering degree, but work in the death/funeral industry, as well as freight shipping on the side.

This sort of thing is quite common. See it all the time. Why you curious? You obviously have seen it happening with people for years... I'm intrigued why you ask? Just bored.. ? Or maybe this girl is of special interest? Really I think many people have no idea what direction to take and as a result end up with all sorts of situations 🤔.. like someone likes history but is advised to get law degree then has no real desire to pursue.. or simply just randomly takes a degree because its there to take but has no real ambition after...

Oh, I have another colleague! Her Master's degree is in Marine Biology. She's a software engineer. And my current pseudo-boss has a Doctor of Education degree. He's a software engineer, too. My company has amazingly few people who actually have degrees in this field.

I have a cousin who graduated from "opera" (didn't know you could get a degree for opera). She went everywhere. Europe mostly. Then I heard she was finishing her law degree and finally passing the bar exam. I now know she is working for the Biden Administration as a lawyer. And she still sings too.

Reactions: Deleted member 58937 and perlFerret
It's great - the one colleague with the honorary and normal Ph.Ds has his real doctorate in Mathematics (related to engineering) and his honorary in Physics (he wrote a paper on some cool black hole gravity thing that some professors liked). He doesn't use his postnomial letters. Hell, he doesn't even use his real name - he goes by the mangling of first name + first n letters of last name they used for the old UNIX network in the 90s. (e.g. if his name were Jeff Marsden, he'd be jeffmars).

My pseudo-boss (decent engineer / architect, but really full of himself) always used his Ed.D postnomials until a few weeks ago, when he realized that it was really lame and we all made fun of him for it because it's completely unrelated what he does.

Kittyinpink said:
Why you curious? You obviously have seen it happening with people for years... I'm intrigued why you ask? Just bored.. ? Or maybe this girl is of special interest?
I'm just wondering how they ended up working for me. We have a very different group. Some with degrees and some not. (And yes, I do have a special interest. She's really tiny and terminally cute. But alas, I'm here boss).

Reactions: Kittyinpink
This is why I didn't bother with college and started a business after high school.

Reactions: Kittyinpink, perlFerret and Deleted member 57387
greatlake5 said:
I'm just wondering how they ended up working for me. We have a very different group. Some with degrees and some not. (And yes, I do have a special interest. She's really tiny and terminally cute. But alas, I'm here boss).
Love is in the air.🎶🎶🎶.. 🙂🙂..

I have a red seal in marine mechanics
An international diploma in marine surveying
Commercial vessel operation license
Dive certification
And hold a level two insurance adjuster License

I use all my diplomas and training but now work for myself

I have a Bachler's in General Science and an Associate's in Communication ... both degrees have done nothing to help me find employment in my lifetime.
Waste of time and money in my opinion.

Note: I have quite a few certifications in different fields that haven't done much to help my employability either.

Last edited:
KitsuneFox said:
I have a Bachler's in General Science and an Associate's in Communication ... both degrees have done nothing to help me find employment in my lifetime.
Waste of time and money in my opinion.

Note: I have quite a few certifications in different fields that haven't done much to help my employability either.
Remember it's never a waste. I suppose you don't have to go for college and get smart just by going to the library. But college get's you THINKING.

By the time I was 10 years old I knew I wanted to be a church organist which I still am though I'm also my church's music director. I also play in a band. I got my degree in organ performance at WCC, a music conservatory.

I have an electrical engineering degree and I am a software developer. Since EE is such a broad discipline, I do use some of the things I learned in school like programming languages and logical design. Most of my professors told us the most important thing we’d learn in college is how to “think like an engineer” and so far I agree.

Graduated with a BA in English. Got a great job at a grocery store where I remained for 13 years, but quit when the company went to hell. Now I work at a sausage factory. Really interesting job! I'm not very good at it, but been there about a year and probably going to hang out a while longer. The money is great.

In my off time, I read and write fiction.

Back