Work benefits coverage

ryan8710

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
****Plz delete if posted in wrong place or not aloud to talk about*****

This might of been talked about already but just wondering if anyone else have possibly went thought tried to use work benefit coverage to pay for or help with cost of diapers and I'm 60/40 AB/DL with mild night time incontinence and wondering if it possible and worth it

Thanks 👍

Reactions: Edgewater and Subtlerustle
I suffer from urge incontinence. Are you in the U.S.?

In the U.S., I have used a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) to pay for them prior to income tax. Some employers may not offer that. If they do then they are supposed to abide by I.R.S. rules for FSAs. Search the forum, there are several dozen threads on that.

As far as health insurance goes, most insurance plans do not cover diapers in the U.S. If they do, it’s a state by state and insurance by insurance basis. And usually the types they do cover are terrible.

Reactions: diaperdude, Edgewater, LiddleBigBoy and 2 others
Eclectic said:
I suffer from urge incontinence. Are you in the U.S.?

In the U.S., I have used a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) to pay for them prior to income tax. Some employers may not offer that. If they do then they are supposed to abide by I.R.S. rules for FSAs. Search the forum, there are several dozen threads on that.

As far as health insurance goes, most insurance plans do not cover diapers in the U.S. If they do, it’s a state by state and insurance by insurance basis. And usually the types they do cover are terrible.
Thanks 👍 for the reply but I guess I did forget to mention I'm in Canada sorry

Reactions: Edgewater and xux
ryan8710 said:
Yeah, that makes a big difference.

Reactions: Edgewater
LoL, late last year the company I work for had us all select the benefits we wanted for this current year. I was looking into fha, and hsa to see if there was a way to offset some of the diaper costs but I couldn't quite make it work the way I wanted. I wanted to have an HSA and an fsa but I could only choose one. Fsa would be great because you must use it by years end or loose it. Great excuse to get diapers with a tax discount! However the benefits of an HSA are too great for me to ignore.

Reactions: Edgewater and LiddleBigBoy
ryan8710 said:
I use my HSA for diapers. CRA says Incontinence Supplies are valid items to be claimed. Blue Cross has never asked for proof of purchase for my claims. I don't claim printed diapers though - I usually buy plain diapers, however the Critter Caboose has found a home in my stash lately.

Reactions: Subtlerustle and denimchicken
You can get an FSA through your employer which is money you set aside before taxes. With this you’re even able to get ABDL diapers, if asked for a receipt ABU, Tykables, Pretend Again, & Bambino will give you a receipt that just says “Incontinence Briefs” to turn in for the purchase.

I purchase all my diapers with my FSA and wear ABDL diapers 95% of the time

Reactions: denimchicken, Subtlerustle, Edgewater and 2 others
Reminder, the OP lives in Candaa. No HSA or FSA there.

@ryan8710
in Alberta we have Alberta Aids to Daily Living (AADL)
Speak to your doctor & urologist about your IC
If you haven't had tests & exams yet you will go through those then your urologist office will connect you with AADL about coverage on your IC supplies

if you have more questions send me a DM I can walk you through the entire process

Last edited:
SparkyDog said:
@ryan8710
in Alberta we have Alberta Aids to Daily Living (AADL)
Speak to your doctor & urologist about your IC
If you haven't had tests & exams yet you will go through those then your urologist office will connect you with AADL about coverage on your IC supplies

if you have more questions send me a DM I can walk you through the entire process
Oh ok 👍 I was just curious if anyone has try to use the work Healthcare coverage benefits like manulife or another coverage provider to cover them

ryan8710 said:
Oh ok 👍 I was just curious if anyone has try to use the work Healthcare coverage benefits like manulife or another coverage provider to cover them
In Alberta through work insurance you will need to go through many similar steps including the above mentioned doctors / urologists visits. they won't just cover medical diapers just on your request

Sounds good thanks I'll give it more thought 👍

SparkyDog said:
In Alberta through work insurance you will need to go through many similar steps including the above mentioned doctors / urologists visits. they won't just cover medical diapers just on your request

The reality of IC supply /support require one's involvement with doctors / urologists. The reasoning is more to assure properly following the Health of those requesting support products and as a result, to stay ahead of other serious medical /mental problems.

IC is no Joke and not to be wanted, as a result the Medial World as well as the Government /Insurance groups want that assurance that just suppling protection, but monitoring the overall health of the client. Yes, to a degree, it is the pain of paperwork, paperwork and delay, delay!

I am currently working my way thru the US VA system regarding obtaining a higher quality diaper. I have found that they are using. as standard product, a product that was last reviewed 30 years ago. Anyway, step, by step.

Reactions: SparkyDog
ryan8710 said:
I think it really depends on the type of coverage you have. Manulife is the administrator but your firm pays for your coverage.

SparkyDog said:
I’ve looked into using my hsa but my insurance requires a prescription. So ya would need to see doctor to do that

Ryger said:
I’ve looked into using my hsa but my insurance requires a prescription. So ya would need to see doctor to do that
to my knowledge there is no pharmacy or medical supply store that in Alberta that would supply diapers from a prescription
so only way it would work is if you buy them and your work insurance / private insurance reimburses you.
but yes you need to see a doctor who will run tests and send you to a urologist for more tests

Last edited:
PCPilot said:
Reminder, the OP lives in Candaa. No HSA or FSA there.
I'm in Canada - I have an HSA through my employer. Sure it's not a lot (think $1500 a year) that I can use to bump up coverage (for example an eye exam that costs more than the coverage allow, the HSA can be used to top it up so I'm not out of pocket). As I said earlier incontinence supplies are valid items to claim on this account as well.

I have an FSA account they give me $1,000 a year and it's only a small amount pre-tax out of each paycheck and I order from North shore and have had no problems

Back