Winnie the Pooh

Rainbow

Formerly RainbowConnection/ Kenopsia
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Other
So I just finished watching the 2018 Christopher Robin movie (not the documentary). I recently began rewatching some of the old Winnie the Pooh movies, too, and all of them just... click with me. You see, I absolutely love stuffed animals. I have been adding more and more to my family ever since I can remember. Each one has a role, a personality, a name. Each one is a part of me. And that hasn't changed in the 19 years I've been on this Earth. For many, I'm sure I just seem childish. But my stuffies are just as alive to me as Pooh and his friends are in the animations. They are real, and only lose their liveliness when I begin losing myself and stop imagining/ loving. They are my childhood friends. They might be my only friends. They are family, and I cannot bear to think of losing one of them. I mourn the ones I have.

Some will say that I sound delusional or dramatic when I say all of that. But it is the truth. My favorite is a Teddy bear my sister gave me when I was three. I named him Teddy (I was never very clever with names). He is the respected and compassionate leader of the secret agency of Puff Island, an organization who protects the Isle from the evil Doctor Black Bear and his army of Monkeybots (originally the main villain was a hovering shark named Sharky, but he befriended Teddy and settled down to raise his family). There's also the threat of a business owner chameleon named Mr. Chromworx, but he hasn't revealed himself too much yet (he's a new addition to my family since 2020). I love all of them, though, "evil" or not. At the end of the day, they're all just playing. They're all parts of me.

Sorry to go on a rant there. I could talk about my stuffed animals for hours. But the reason I'm making this post is because of the scene where Christopher Robin yells at Pooh, and then Pooh disappears. I bawled my eyes out at that scene, and I think it's because I imagined myself saying the same to Teddy. I think it's because someday, I fear I'll lose him, or the world will make me get rid of him, or I will get rid of him. It would be like casting out part of myself, my inner child. And that's why that scene got to me.

I'm not sure how most people saw that scene, but for me, it held a special kind of weight. I think the entire franchise does. I know I won't get rid of my bear. Soon I'll be off on my own "expotition" to college, and I fully intend to bring Teddy and his closest friends with me. I know I might sound silly, but this is who I am. Those who feel similarly will understand. My wise bear tells me I'm not alone.

Thank you for reading, and please take care.

Reactions: Lightstreak2553
Back