Why are people so Toxic these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
It seems like 95% of the time, instead of Healthy, Positive interactions; you get Unhealthy, Toxic, Negative ones online.

Is it really so hard to not be a Toxic, Negative asshat to others simply because of some Real (or otherwise perceived) differences?

I'm more likely to want to connect and help someone out (if I can) if we have a Shared hobby and someone wasn't Negative towards me and didn't try to take advantage of me.

Like, I collect Trading Cards, and I'm more likely to wanna cut someone a deal or give cards away if someone isn't being Terrible to me.

If someone is gonna be Negative, Toxic, and Slander my name, I'm not even gonna entertain talking to those people anymore.

That just makes me wanna Quit a hobby and not even try to find any common ground.

I'm certainly not gonna be "Less Greedy" or give things away to people that never wanted a fair deal (a lot of people only seem to "Care" about a Hobby if they can buy the stuff. Flip it, and 10x their money).

Last edited:
Reactions: Angelapinks, Diprs2, ShippoFox and 5 others
The problem with the Internet and social media, is that some people believe that it's anonymity gives them the opportunity to say things they would never dare say in person.

People will continue to be toxic and negative, because there are no consequences for behaving badly. Nastiness goes unpunished.

But that is the thing I like about this forum- We all have different tastes and opinions, and sometimes disagree with each other, but don't let things degenerate into abuse. That's how things should be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pelusos, Diprs2, lilbabyjooce and 1 other person
Sissyleslie said:
The problem with the Internet and social media, is that some people believe that it's anonymity gives them the opportunity to say things they would never dare say in person.

People will continue to be toxic and negative, because there are no consequences for behaving badly. Nastiness goes unpunished.

But that is the thing I like about this forum- We all have different tastes and opinions, and sometimes disagree with each other, but don't let things degenerate into abuse. That's how things should be.
Entitlement is definitely right. Entitlement to what I have, Entitlement to make an easy Profit (flipping stuff they try to buy off me) with no work involved at all, Entitlement to Spread rumors and lie to the Community when I'm not letting myself be taken advantage of.

It's just all so sickening that instead of moving on, people have to sow seeds of Division and Toxicity and try to ruin someone's Reputation in any community that will Listen.

I rather let someone keep their Opinion and try to spread lies about me without me even giving a Response to them. Because simply even responding is more than likely to do a lot more Bad than Good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2 and Kirisin
BabyTyrant said:
Entitlement is definitely right. Entitlement to what I have, Entitlement to make an easy Profit (flipping stuff they try to buy off me) with no work involved at all, Entitlement to Spread rumors and lie to the Community when I'm not letting myself be taken advantage of.

It's just all so sickening that instead of moving on, people have to sow seeds of Division and Toxicity and try to ruin someone's Reputation in any community that will Listen.

I rather let someone keep their Opinion and try to spread lies about me without me even giving a Response to them. Because simply even responding is more than likely to do a lot more Bad than Good.
True. Sometimes people enjoy being provocative and get a response.

Reactions: Diprs2, Kirisin and Jorelaxed
Sissyleslie said:
Not going to put all the blame on newer generations, for sure. Never the less, I think another part of it is that younger people today don't know a life before wide use of the internet. After seeing seeing people lash out with anonymity so much I think people started to think those behaviors as normal and then it carried over into interactions in person.

Sissyleslie said:
True. Sometimes people enjoy being provocative and get a response.
True, some people prey off of rilling up another person, they try to fish that person in.

I also think that the popularity of YouTube and streaming didn't help either. For the same reason, for some folks it normalized less favorable behavior.

Because aparently being a miserable human being is trendy.

People will get more likes and views with that attitude. Which is something I don't and never understand.

Also, there are lots of "honest people" whom will tell what they think regardless you wanted or asked for it as an excuse for being bad people.

Me, I like being positive, say nice things to the barrender, my coworkers, friends, family my SO, you will always have better results in life being nice and having Empathy.

Reactions: Diprs2, lilbabyjooce and Kirisin
like that old saying "misery loves company"

Reactions: littledinogoesrawr, Diprs2, lilbabyjooce and 1 other person
We live in a very tribal world right now, and everyone is out to beat everyone else. Really sucks sometimes.

MudPuppy said:
We live in a very tribal world right now, and everyone is out to beat everyone else. Really sucks sometimes.
agree 100%

Simply put there is a lot of hate and disrespect in the world today. There is no courtesy or compassion. It is more of what's in it for me then what can I do to help.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Jorelaxed
Courtesy and helpfulness are rare in todays world.

I frequently use a term "asocial nets." Because is net of asocials.

Reactions: Diprs2
i think its more the platform.. ITs easy to be a troll and a ass online.. Ther rest of the world really does not give a shit one way or the other and has better things to do than post online trash.. Also social media pay per click thrives on it by making reels and posts that are begging for comments. If you want a happy world then log off and enter society. IF you look for good you will see good. If you look for bad you will see it.

Reactions: DinoFrant, Pelusos and Diprs2
BengieG said:
i think its more the platform.. ITs easy to be a troll and a ass online.. Ther rest of the world really does not give a shit one way or the other and has better things to do than post online trash.. Also social media pay per click thrives on it by making reels and posts that are begging for comments. If you want a happy world then log off and enter society. IF you look for good you will see good. If you look for bad you will see it.
I agree with most of what you said. The internet just seems to provide an easy way for people to be a-holes. Some sites, even if the TOS is against it, the ways the sites work encourage people to be toxic. drama is like a magnet, i guess, for a lot of people.

I agree until the last two lines. I met all my best friends online and they're all too far away. But society has always been scary. My social anxiety is off the charts, I've been seriously wondering if I am undiagnosed austistic, and I don't have a lot in common with the average person. But maybe the advice works for people that aren't all screwed up like me 😕 Especially good advice for outgoing people, which I am not.

Reactions: Diprs2
just my own view of it
People can very easily be toxic online with virtually no consequence
that spills into real life interactions

I also think there is a group of people that generally have a good life but are guilt laden that their life is good so they make it their mission to either make other people miserable or be offended & angry on other people's behalf and this leads to becoming a toxic person very quickly as they can't regulate their emotions

BabyTyrant said:
It seems like 95% of the time, instead of Healthy, Positive interactions; you get Unhealthy, Toxic, Negative ones online.

Is it really so hard to not be a Toxic, Negative asshat to others simply because of some Real (or otherwise perceived) differences?

I'm more likely to want to connect and help someone out (if I can) if we have a Shared hobby and someone wasn't Negative towards me and didn't try to take advantage of me.

Like, I collect Trading Cards, and I'm more likely to wanna cut someone a deal or give cards away if someone isn't being Terrible to me.

If someone is gonna be Negative, Toxic, and Slander my name, I'm not even gonna entertain talking to those people anymore.

That just makes me wanna Quit a hobby and not even try to find any common ground.

I'm certainly not gonna be "Less Greedy" or give things away to people that never wanted a fair deal (a lot of people only seem to "Care" about a Hobby if they can buy the stuff. Flip it, and 10x their money).
I am finding that people seem to be more toxic or on edge since Covid. There seems to be no courtesy anymore with just simple things like saying please and thank you or opening doors for people while shopping or even helping elderly carry groceries to their cars. Talking to people on the phone is becoming a nightmare and it seems like if they can't see you in person they don't need to be nice. Not sure what else has changed but the short tempered people one encounters everyday is getting to be too much even in Canada where we have a bit of a reputation for being nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back