Why are people against adding "easy mode" to some games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Any time an Article mentions a developer looking into adding an Easy Mode into a game to be more inclusive of Casual gamers, there are always some Gamers that throw a fit

"I will stop playing that Series if they add in an Easy Mode"

I don't get it because

1. Nobody says you will have to play on Easy Mode

2. It would be just like what they do to make "Hard Mode" and higher level difficulties in video games, only instead of higher Stats, the enemies would get lower Stats

For example, take an Enemy with 1000HP, 500 ATK, 500 Def

Take their stats down by 50% HP, and 20% ATK and 20% Defense

Now you have a game that plays exactly the same, but the enemy has 500HP, 400ATK and 400DEF

Making it easier, and ensuring someone can enjoy it on the lower difficulty setting, without changing a Damn thing to make it any different for the people that want it to be the "Ultimate Challenge"

Last edited:
Reactions: CutieProtector, Kittyinpink and ThePaddedTurtle
I agree that certain peoples reaction are a little over the top, i.e. boycotting a game series just for the mere idea of an easy mode.
And I certainly agree that having a "Easy mode" is not a huge issue as nobody is forcing anyone to use them.
It is why I am a big fan of the inclusivity options in "The Last of Us Part 2". Say what you will about that game, but simply having more options to make the game "easier" or more convenient or helping players with vision problems n such is a great thing.

Now the literal method of making a "easy mode" obviously differs from game to game. And personally, I feel there should be more interesting ways to help players rather than just halving stats n such. For example, guidance systems where there are normally none, certain tips, etc.
I don't really agree with the idea that tweaking and lowering the states "doesn't change anything major about the game". Obviously it differs from game to game but for example, certain games will have crafted encounters with selected enemies to test various skills. If you just lower that enemies stats, it may not challenge the player at all and will ruin its intended effect.

Honestly, I realise that this topic is just really difficult discuss because there are so many personal aspects and differences on both sides of the argument. I don't think you can just simplify the solution for a player's desire to have an easy mode to just be, half health, double damage, or whatever, as that might not even be the issue they are having.
Instead, I think games should just include individual gameplay mechanic tweaks that can be turned on or off so a player can craft their own difficulty setting, like the recent Assassin's creed games and LOU2 does. Rather than just have a blanket easy mode that just cuts the statistics of the game.

Reactions: CutieProtector
Gamers are, unfortunatey, fickle things. I don't care how people play as long as they're having fun. Especially with single player games where it has no effect on how I'm playing. No one is forcing a difficulty there anyway. But yeah, people often throw fits over the stupidest things that devs do. They cannot be kept happy for long, no matter what. :/

Reactions: KrankyPants
BabyTyrant said:
Any time an Article mentions a developer looking into adding an Easy Mode into a game to be more inclusive of Casual gamers, there are always some Gamers that throw a fit

I don't get it because

1. Nobody says you will have to play on Easy Mode

2. It would be just like what they do to make "Hard Mode" and higher level difficulties in video games, only instead of higher Stats, the enemies would get lower Stats

For example, take an Enemy with 1000HP, 500 ATK, 500 Def

Take their stats down by 50% HP, and 20% ATK and 20% Defense

Now you have a game that plays exactly the same, but the enemy has 500HP, 400ATK and 400DEF

Making it easier, and ensuring someone can enjoy it on the lower difficulty setting, without changing a Damn thing to make it any different for the people that want it to be the "Ultimate Challenge"
Sometimes I had given up on some games because I got frustrated.. when I realized the 'easy mode' I thougherly enjoyed the games and sometimes went back and played the 'hard' version.

Reactions: KrankyPants
This is how I feel about Tomb Raider. It's very difficult even on the leisure setting sometimes.

Honestly, its just people over reacting because they feel that more accessibility means that their 'elite status' is diminished some how. They have lost sight that games are meant to be enjoyed, and the 'get good n00b' culture doesn't really help. Basically its the difference between the toxic elitism and the larger 'every man' casual audience that has cropped up to ruin so many communities. Remember, casual is now a dirty word to many.

I can think of a few games where I would love an easy mode so I could experience the actual story and not just frustration as the game I bought is locked to me within five minutes because of the first boss. I'M LOOKING AT YOU DARK SOULS! Sadly, I just can't stumble through or master those games at all, even after trying countless hours on each.

Adding easy mode, sounds like Nocturne HD Remaster to me XD
I mean not everyone can enjoy things like Furi, Soulsborne series, Darkest Dungeon, or even Shin Megami Tensei series(the mainline and DDS) because of the label "hard" is on them so adding some easy mode could attracted people who could see some of the games i mention above entertaining to play but finds it too hard for them to started playing and then could play the harder difficulty once they get good at it, what i mean is more people would buy this game and it's a good thing for the community overall i think, because once again as OP said it's not mandatory

I'm not at all a gamer - I'm an avid fan of PC point-and-click adventure games, not that that's on the same level - but occasionally I'm interested in checking out certain titles if the story seems particularly compelling and if it just seems like fun to play. An "easy mode" is therefore ideal for someone like me who wants to experience the game from an artistic perspective rather than for challenging gameplay.

I know I'm in a minority, but the market for both casual gamers and younger gamers is vast and I don't see why you wouldn't support the inclusion of an "easy mode". Everyone in this thread makes excellent points, though I feel I have to side the most with Azie, especially in regard to people who'd actually boycott a series over it. Some gamers have an extreme sense of entitlement and just can't accept letting everybody into their exclusive little elite club.

I used to game a lot, but since becoming a dad and loads of work, I no longer have time for these challenging games. I'm mostly interested in the stories so I now always choose the Easy mode when I can, so i can experience the story without waisting all my time dying/starting over.

Reactions: Babyman1224 and KrankyPants
BabyTyrant said:

I don't get it because
The biggest factor is elitism - "I'm totally skilled at this thing, I earned The Stuff. It's not fair if people get The Stuff without having to be good like me." And I get that, it took me a lot of time, effort, and work to get my Halo ranks up to 40, 45. Last time I checked, I'd clocked somewhere close to 1000 hours in campaign alone grinding achievements. I can take a certain amount of pride in that, even if it's been years since then.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to "easy mode" for games; actually, I support it. And for a few reasons, starting with many gamers no longer have anything like the amount of free time they had 30 years ago. Let's add that getting the new generation of gamers into gaming requires not leaving them horribly disappointed and/or frustrated with nigh every session of play.
Rock Band had a No-Fail mode, which was great for not only teaching new players or practicing hard tracks, but also for letting younger children get involved. It's No-Fail, who cares if little Amy is only hitting every fifth note accurately? We'll still finish the song, and she can only get better with more practice right? I know she's 6, I wasn't expecting her to perfect combo hard mode, but she had fun, and so did I.
Easy Mode also tends to overlap with accessibility options, something I think needs to be more common in games. Is it fair to prevent gamers with actual, physical issues from accessing game content? After all, no one asks to be colorblind or have motor control issues. Frankly, I prefer to have subtitles in my games - my hearing's just fine, last audiogram indicated it's noticably better than expected for my age. I just find it easier to follow along if dialogue is also on-screen.

While I don't care if they add easy mode into games, there is a huge issue right now were I could see people getting frustrated towards it. Its probaby a mix of miscommunication and misunderstanding ontop of the current state of gaming.

The old crowd the has gotten really good at games is now the minority due to the explosion of "normies" getting into gaming.

The new gen gaming crowd does not have the same experience as the older players so it has lead a bunch of developers to making games easier for that crowd.

The issue is they have all forgotten about the old crowd that actually gave them money and cared about their series. This has lead to the older crowd not having anything to play because they are only catering towards one segment.

In a ideal world if the devs catered to both I am sure not many would care if they added a easy mode, but with the narrative right now being to make more and more games easier to play for a crowd that never learned the experience the older ones did, its can come off like a big middle finger.

To top it all off the publishers care more about money than gameplay so they will force the dev team to cater more towards the newgens because they can rehash a same concept for like no work and make big bucks. They also try and hide behind PC culture and act like they are doing this "for the good of the people" when in reality they could care less. Then you have the gaming community fighting against itself when we should be fighting against the publishers that are bringing gaming down as a whole and making the market way more stagnant with non interesting ideas.

Like maybe stop jumping to conclusions and assuming players just hate you and are anti PC or whatever BS. The people taking the moral high ground without listneing to logic and facts are just afraid of how the public wil view them. Plus people are les slikely to have a normal conversation when you just jump to assuming bs about them and starting a arguement. I've never seen anyone get into a arguement and then just willing change sides. It doesn't work that way, if you want to change someones opinion you wouldn't be trying to make them look like a idoit, you are just trying to get brownie points for taking down a anti PC cultist or whatever.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally some games are just designed to be hard and adding a "easy mode" can ruin the point of them.

I think it be better for those players ,of games like that , to just play another title. Like if you are gonna get mad at Rust, Conan, or Ark maybe just load up minecraft with mods.

Trying to make those games have EZ modes would defeat the purpose of a survival game.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One final thing. A lot of the people who commented have only looked at the noob side and ignored the fact that the players at the top skill brackets are getting the short end of the stick right now. There are countless games for anyone to go to right now that have EZ modes.

Do you not understand the frustration of just being naturally competent at a game only for every game you play to be a boring mess that doesn't challenge you.

There is a chart for this that analyzes difficulty and fun levels.
Like I said I am not against EZ mode being added, but you have to keep in mind its changing the narrative right now to not make difficult games.

Last edited:
kratox said:
While I don't care if they add easy mode into games, there is a huge issue right now were I could see people getting frustrated towards it. Its probaby a mix of miscommunication and misunderstanding ontop of the current state of gaming.

The old crowd the has gotten really good at games is now the minority due to the explosion of "normies" getting into gaming.

The new gen gaming crowd does not have the same experience as the older players so it has lead a bunch of developers to making games easier for that crowd.

The issue is they have all forgotten about the old crowd that actually gave them money and cared about their series. This has lead to the older crowd not having anything to play because they are only catering towards one segment.

In a ideal world if the devs catered to both I am sure not many would care if they added a easy mode, but with the narrative right now being to make more and more games easier to play for a crowd that never learned the experience the older ones did, its can come off like a big middle finger.

To top it all off the publishers care more about money than gameplay so they will force the dev team to cater more towards the newgens because they can rehash a same concept for like no work and make big bucks. They also try and hide behind PC culture and act like they are doing this "for the good of the people" when in reality they could care less. Then you have the gaming community fighting against itself when we should be fighting against the publishers that are bringing gaming down as a whole and making the market way more stagnant with non interesting ideas.

Like maybe stop jumping to conclusions and assuming players just hate you and are anti PC or whatever BS. The people taking the moral high ground without listneing to logic and facts are just afraid of how the public wil view them. Plus people are les slikely to have a normal conversation when you just jump to assuming bs about them and starting a arguement. I've never seen anyone get into a arguement and then just willing change sides. It doesn't work that way, if you want to change someones opinion you wouldn't be trying to make them look like a idoit, you are just trying to get brownie points for taking down a anti PC cultist or whatever.
Finally some games are just designed to be hard and adding a "easy mode" can ruin the point of them.

I think it be better for those players ,of games like that , to just play another title. Like if you are gonna get mad at Rust, Conan, or Ark maybe just load up minecraft with mods.

Trying to make those games have EZ modes would defeat the purpose of a survival game.

One final thing. A lot of the people who commented have only looked at the noob side and ignored the fact that the players at the top skill brackets are getting the short end of the stick right now. There are countless games for anyone to go to right now that have EZ modes.

Do you not understand the frustration of just being naturally competent at a game only for every game you play to be a boring mess that doesn't challenge you.

There is a chart for this that analyzes difficulty and fun levels.
Like I said I am not against EZ mode being added, but you have to keep in mind its changing the narrative right now to not make difficult games.
Idk what games you are playing, but most games I played have a difficulty setting either at the very beginning of the game, or you start on Normal difficulty and work your way towards Harder difficulty settings once you beat the game and unlock additional Difficulties Settings

Nobody is saying you have to play on Easy Mode and that's that's and you have to accept it

People just want to be able to play games and enjoy themselves

If you want to die a Million times in a video game or "Git Gud" fine by you, select Normal or Hard at the beginning, and allow people to Select "Easy" if they just want to play the game without Dying 1 Million times

There is literally no down side for anybody

But I guess it's like most people have said, it's all about Elitism

The "I'm the best gamer ever Bruh" crowd wants it to mean you are an insanely skilled Gamer just for beating a Souls Like

They don't care that it's not about feeling "Accomplished" for some people

Last edited:
BabyTyrant said:
Idk what games you are playing, but most games I played have a difficulty setting either at the very beginning of the game, or you start on Normal difficulty and work your way towards Harder difficulty settings once you beat the game and unlock additional Difficulties Settings

Nobody is saying you have to play on Easy Mode and that's that's and you have to accept it

People just want to be able to play games and enjoy themselves

If you want to die a Million times in a video game or "Git Gud" fine by you, select Normal or Hard at the beginning, and allow people to Select "Easy" if they just want to play the game without Dying 1 Million times

There is literally no down side for anybody

But I guess it's like most people have said, it's all about Elitism

The "I'm the best gamer ever Bruh" crowd wants it to mean you are an insanely skilled Gamer just for beating a Souls Like

They don't care that it's not about feeling "Accomplished" for some peoplee
The fact that you didn't read a single thing I said and just jumped to assumptions, just shows you how biased and out of touch you actually are.

Also you are blowing this issue up like its same mass pandemic when it literally isn't. Get off of twitter, reddit, gamespot, or whatever service you are using, because it is clearly distorting your perspective on the gaming world.

kratox said:
The fact that you didn't read a single thing I said and just jumped to assumptions, just shows you how biased and out of touch you actually are.

Also you are blowing this issue up like its same mass pandemic when it literally isn't. Get off of twitter, reddit, gamespot, or whatever service you are using, because it is clearly distorting your perspective on the gaming world.
You said they are making Games too easy these days

I'm asking, how are these games being made too easy when 999/1000 times YOU can choose your difficulty from the Beginning

Or you get to up the difficulty as much as you want after beating the game the first time around?

I can't think of a single game I've played in the last 25 years that wasn't either challenging enough on Normal, had various difficulty Settings, or was never meant to be Challenging to begin with (like Animal Crossing isn't a difficult Game because it isn't meant to be)

I play the vast majority of the games I play on Normal or Harder settings, just saying why can't both sides have their cake?

Don't like Easy Games? Don't choose Easy Mode

Simple as that

Again, nobody is saying to force everyone to play Easy Mode, people just want it Added on

It really depends on the game, like Dark Souls is meant to be the really hard soul crushing game where you need to memorize everything about it to get good

DiscreetDL said:
It really depends on the game, like Dark Souls is meant to be the really hard soul crushing game where you need to memorize everything about it to get good

Like I said though, it's not like it would make it any worse for the people that prefer to play the game on the Original difficulty

Only difference is, the people that just want to enjoy the GamePlay without dying 30 times an hour get to have an easier experience at their own pace

BabyTyrant said:
You said they are making Games too easy these days

I'm asking, how are these games being made too easy when 999/1000 times YOU can choose your difficulty from the Beginning

Or you get to up the difficulty as much as you want after beating the game the first time around?

I can't think of a single game I've played in the last 25 years that wasn't either challenging enough on Normal, had various difficulty Settings, or was never meant to be Challenging to begin with (like Animal Crossing isn't a difficult Game because it isn't meant to be)

I play the vast majority of the games I play on Normal or Harder settings, just saying why can't both sides have their cake?

Don't like Easy Games? Don't choose Easy Mode

Simple as that

Again, nobody is saying to force everyone to play Easy Mode, people just want it Added on
Read what i said again because you are just skimming over what I said.

Also stop trying to put words in peoples mouth. I literally said I have no problem with them adding EZ mode in-games.

Stop trying to spin the narrative to put someone in bad light.

Finally to ignore the fact that adding EZ mode to certain games would ruin the whole point of them is ludicrous. I gave you not 1 not 2 but 3 games on that list that can't add EZ modes. The whole point of those games is the struggle. If you don't want to struggle go play minecraft there exist games for those audiences.

Have you never heard the phrase "its the journey that counts not the destination"??????

kratox said:
Read what i said again because you are just skimming over what I said.

Also stop trying to put words in peoples mouth. I literally said I have no problem with them adding EZ mode in-games.

Stop trying to spin the narrative to put someone in bad light.

Finally to ignore the fact that adding EZ mode to certain games would ruin the whole point of them is ludicrous. I gave you not 1 not 2 but 3 games on that list that can't add EZ modes. The whole point of those games is the struggle. If you don't want to struggle go play minecraft there exist games for those audiences.

Have you never heard the phrase "its the journey that counts not the destination"??????
They can add Easy Modes, it's as simple as making enemies easier to kill so your Gameplay is exactly the same, but Casual players wouldn't die so much and end up Quitting out of frustration

The only point of NOT adding easy mode is to keep acting like you are a Member of Gaming's "Elite" because

"I play Souls Games on the difficulty they are meant to be played on"

That's the ONLY angle your camp has when you say "the Game isn't meant to be Easy"

You can have your Accomplishment without trying to deny others fun via taking away some of the Frustration

Elitism and Tribalism are a Plague on Gaming

We should drop the Elitism, Realize both Camps can have their Fun

And Stop hating people just for playing on a different Platform (not saying you specifically do BTW)

The point of any Game, even a Souls; is to have fun

Who gives a fudge if your fun is different than others fun? You like to dodge or Die millions of times on your games? Fine

Some want to play a Game, make progress and move on

They can add an optional easy mode and both sides can have their enjoyment

How is it so hard to understand that, maybe people want to experience a game with less frustration?

Last edited:
BabyTyrant said:
They can add Easy Modes, it's as simple as making enemies easier to kill so your Gameplay is exactly the same, but Casual players wouldn't die so much and end up Quitting out of frustration

The only point of NOT adding easy mode is to keep acting like you are a Member of Gaming's "Elite" because

"I play Souls Games on the difficulty they are meant to be played on"

That's the ONLY angle your camp has when you say "the Game isn't meant to be Easy"

You can have your Accomplishment without trying to deny others fun via taking away some of the Frustration

Elitism and Tribalism are a Plague on Gaming

We should drop the Elitism, Realize both Camps can have their Fun

And Stop hating people just for playing on a different Platform (not saying you specifically do BTW)

The point of any Game, even a Souls; is to have fun

Who gives a fudge if your fun is different than others fun? You like to dodge or Die millions of times on your games? Fine

Some want to play a Game, make progress and move on

They can add an optional easy mode and both sides can have their enjoyment

How is it so hard to understand that, maybe people want to experience a game with less frustration?
Okay so, I agree that developers should strive to add more difficulty settings so players can tweak their own gameplay experiences to suit them, whether that be a easier experience, a difficult experience, or even any level of difficult but just with added convenience options. It is all dependent on the player and personally I feel the method of just having "Easy, medium or hard" difficulty settings alone are sort of outdated, by themselves. While this method might work for the majority, I often feel with certain games (For example bethesda games) that the difficulty setting never feel quite right, medium might not prove enough of an engaging challenge for me personally, but "hard" mode makes the game a chore with overly spongy enemies, etc.
That is why I am more in favour of individual difficulty values that the player can tweak themselves rather than just a set mode that cannot be tweaked by the player, that way it benefits everyone as players can individually tweak various values (differing from game to game) to craft their experience.

But ultimately, as kratox explained, this issue differs greatly from game to game due to the difference in gameplay mechanics, theme and of course developer intention. Thus, I would not agree with you point "They can add Easy Modes, it's as simple as making enemies easier to kill so your Gameplay is exactly the same" because as I previously explained, this would not necessarily fix the issue which is obviously a problem if we are talking about making games more inclusive and dropping the "elitism" which certainly exists in certain gaming communities. Which brings me to that:

I agree with you, we should drop the toxic elitism which attempts to make some people feel "superior" to others because they completed Dark Souls 3 with no deaths or whatever the hell. Just let others play the game how they want at their own pace, with or without help at their own behest.
However, a point I do not agree with you with is that the only point against "Easy modes" is that elitism. That straight up isn't true. I agree that it is a factor for some rather deluded players will through a hissyfit if anyone dares suggest that a certain game series should perhaps be tweaked, screaming that "that is the way the game is supposed to be!". But a major point you seem to be missing is on the developer side, that being developer intent. This ties into something else you said about that games are supposed to be "fun". Ultimately, a developer is creating a specific experience that is meant to invoke certain the feelings and reactions in the player. For example, satisfaction, challenge, horror, mystery, intrigue, curiosity, and even frustration. You can summarise these different feelings/reactions that will be tied to different games and genres as the game being "fun". But that is a subjective term, what is fun to me will likely be very different to what you find fun, and vice versa. And game developers cannot appeal to everyone's sense of "fun". That is why genres are formed, why different people have different tastes in games which they find interesting and engaging.

So, simply applying a blanket statement that developers should just add easy modes does not hold much water, as it will likely affect developer intention and it is not always in the interest of the developer to appeal to everyone, thus adding a "Easy mode" for certain games might never be in their interest.
And of course there is the point that kratox brought up, that being certain games are near impossible to make "easier" without changing the base mechanics. For a personal example to me, I suck at platforming games, for example Celeste and games like that. So, how do we make that easier? Well...we could make it so it does the platforming for me? But then what is the point of the game as I will not be developing the skills to platform well within the game. Or how about we change the level layout? But then, it wouldn't necessarily be easier, or harder, or more or less fun, it would just be different.

In the end, this debate of whether games should have an easy mode should, in my opinion, be taken on a case by case basis. As you never really get anywhere trying to apply this as a blanket rule across the whole of gaming.

Reactions: CutieProtector
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back