What age did you stop wearing diapers as a child?

patrick1776

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
  5. Carer
What age were you when you stopped wearing protection at night?

Did you stay padded for only a few days after you stopped wetting the bed? A few weeks? Was anyone padded for months or even years after they stopped regularly wetting the bed just in case, or because of the occasional accident?

For those that wet the bed and were not padded, at what age did your parents ditch the diapers and decide to let you wake up with wet sheets? This one confuses me, because unless you completely outgrew all readily available diapers, why would your parents ditch them if you were still having accidents? Was it because you turned a certain age, hit a milestone like starting kindergarten, or were the night diapers ditched as soon as the daytime ones were not needed?

For me, I continued to wear a diaper or pull up to bed for a few months after potty training was done, and an emergency supply was kept but not regularly used for about a year after. They were only used if I refused to go potty before bed or I fell asleep in the car, and they couldn't make sure I went potty one last time before falling asleep. I have no memory of ever waking up in a diaper as a child because all of this was done and gone before I turned 4. By my fourth birthday diapers and pull ups were long gone from our house.

I had friends/neighbors that wet the bed as kids but I never really knew much about it as bedwetting was much more taboo back in the early 90s than it is today. I remember their bedrooms smelling very strongly of urine and a few memories of them getting yelled at in the morning for having an accident. For them, I'm pretty sure that diapers were ditched at night once daytime potty training was done and pretty much overnight, wetting the bed was a punishable offence. I even remember them admitted to getting beaten pretty badly for wetting the bed when they were a bit older but still grammar school aged.

I can't understand at all why diapers would be so taboo as to stop using them if the child clearly needs them. If I had continued to wet the bed after the age of 4, I'm pretty sure my parents might have kept me in diapers longer and not made a big deal about it. Once I turned 5 though or at the latest once I started kindergarten, I think they would have ditched them and I might have gotten in real trouble (aka spanked, but definitely not beaten) for wetting the bed.

Reactions: ogdlv and Cottontail
Good question! I don’t ever recall wetting the bed but I did have a moment of shock that I do remember. I was in ski school in Austria when my ski instructor left me to go get my parents, leaving me with no supervision whatsoever. For a 4 year old autistic kid that was a terrible idea and in my panic, I did wet myself.

To answer your initial question, I would estimate around 2.5 years old when I stopped wearing diapers based on old slide photos that my father scanned on to a thumb drive.

I would guess 24-30 months. I know I was 100% out of diapers before I turned 3, I was in disposable diapers (Pampers).

Believe it or not but I can recall at least two moments when I asked my mother where my diapers were and that I wanted one. I was very unhappy and stressed that they were gone. That was the end of diapers for a very long time.

ABedWetter said:
My parents were always very liberal, so diapers and baby bottles were commonplace for me for many years. As I suffered from bedwetting, I wore diapers overnight until I was 10, when bed wetting became an occasional thing. At 14, I had problems at night again, so going back to diapers was a natural thing. Over time, wearing diapers became conditioned to my anxiety problems: when I had a crisis, I would wet the bed for a week. So, I never stopped wearing diapers, with the full support of my parents. At 23, I started wearing 24/7, and that's how it is to this day.

How long did you get baby bottles for?

As for me, I was in night diapers until I was 6. My dad, especially, didn't want me to damage the mattresses.

I seem to think it was around 3 and a half....I was going to be starting Pre K by age 4 So my mom wanted to make sure I was ready and trained by then. I was put in training pants for a good while, well into age 4 or 5 but it was mostly nights for that "just in case " protection. I actually didnt miss the diapers too much because i liked putting those training pants on at night. They were big and poofy flannel ones with a nice white vinyl cover on them. This was the 70s before Pull ups.

3 to 4 in daytime and 8+ at night. I was a typical bedwetter.

Was ~18 when I quit wetting every night so I wore diapers till then. In my early 20s I had it happen again for a few years but I've been a DL as long as I can remember so I already had diapers to deal with it.
Still have accidents from time to time but it's not a regular occurrence.

Sometime shortly before I turned 4. That was in the late 1970's. I can remember lying in bed and having my bedtime cloth diapers pinned on. No Pull-Ups or GoodNites for this bunny! Mom kept an extensive diary of my babyhood, so at some point I'll probably have all the details. She shared some of them with me long ago, and I believe I wet the bed for 3-4 months after I was daytime-trained. I have no idea how long I was kept in bedtime diapers after I stopped wetting. If I had to guess, I'd say a week or two. I only had one full-on bedwetting accident after that, and that happened when I was 7 or 8 years old--truly a bolt from the blue.

Last edited:
well, never...

Never have been fry at night, somewhat urgent daytime forever, currently, got like 2 mins to get to a bathroom.

Did hide it for a bit and was praised for it, i just started getting my own diapers from local pharmacy before i was even driving on my bike, right or wrong, dad would get pissed off if say we had to go get diapers when at the cabin or alike. So when i was able to financially (sold gum, toothpicks, and grades later even bought my own computers, which were not cheap in the 80's).

So, never is the answer.

For me i was 17 years old was when i stopped wearing diapers lol , i was a bedwetter till late teens till about 16 so its diapers every night before bed or anywhere that i might fall asleep so that includes traveling on holidays , school camps etc. I actually stopped wetting at 16 but i continued to wear diapers at night just in case for a year after especially when traveling because of the limited clothes we are already bringing with us , diapers are kinda mandatory for me plus im used to wearing it anyway. It was a bit weird that a person my age would still be wearing diapers and i even wore 24/7 on all my trips overseas . I visited some countries and even the US but most if not all of the customs people were professional about it , no one really did ask much or laughed at me , i was kinda afraid when visiting the US about the strip search and all but nope , i had once got flagged and being a teen at the time about 16 , i was a bit afraid and when patted i told them i was a bedwetter wore diapers and went to a more private area and they did their thing and i was cleared after no issues .

I have no memory of it, but I was told I trained at 3. I was never told of any bedwetting so if it happened it was very short time frame during potty training. At some point I need to try get more data from my mom on my early days.

Reactions: MetalDan86 and Napincolove
Just before 10 when I got bowel control but my love for nappies had been ingrained by my lovely auntie and her care of me when I had encopresis

I would need to ask my mom, but I think it might be a weird question and she might get suspicious about that, as many years ago she found my well-used diaper in trash can. :rolleyes:

But I suppose it was somewhere between my 2nd and 3rd birthday, as I remember at least one "diaper situation" - my dad somehow incorrectly fastened my diaper on me, so that one tape put uncomfortable pressure on my skin, so after a while after I was changed, I asked him to change me again. This is a very strong memory, I get flashbacks every time some diaper tape cuts into my skin. 😁

I do not remember any bed wetting accidents, so I think I stopped wearing diapers both daytime and at night about the same time.

Last edited:
Daytime 7. Nighttime 13.

Reactions: Andy86 and ogdlv
Like some others here I was a bedwetter well into my teens (17). I wore terry nappies and rubber and plastic pants. Daytime I was out of them before starting school.

my Mom put me in a diaper every night till I was almost 10. I stopped wetting the bed at 9 but she had me stay in them “just in case”. I missed the attention so I started wetting my bed on purpose a few months ago and now she put me back in diapers. I’m so happy. My little brother wets his bed and in diapered every night as well.

Reactions: Andy86, ogdlv, Lyric and 2 others
3 years old but then I wouldn't stop playing to go to bathroom and have accidents. So back in diapers I went for another year to year and half.

Reactions: RothwellBC
Back