Were you put in nappies or pull ups for days out or long trips after potty training?

Did you wear nappies past potty training when out

• Total voters
(Puts on American Southern Belle accent)
Aw, yes ahh did!

Seriously though, my parents did exactly that, for long drives at least. I guess that is preferable to having piss all over their seats šŸ˜…
I remember my dad one time laying me down, cause we were driving somewhere really far away, and he put a nappy on me for the drive. I was 3 years old then.
I don't know what brand that nappy was, but it was I think fabricky-backed with a purple landing strip

Reactions: Davvyboy, Diprs2 and LittleScotty
dogboy said:
When I'd go on long trips with my parents when I was very young, my mom would bring a glass bottle with a lid and I'd have to pee into the bottle, something I hated.
Lucky for you that boys have a built in hose.

I had to manage the old fashion way.
I'd pray to the sphincter gods to keep me shut.

The gods did listen to me, I seldom wet myself, but I was very uncomfortable while waiting for a toilet break.
Luckily we seldom did any longer trips.
But it was still good bladder practice though...

Reactions: Diprs2 and dogboy
Despite being potty trained at around two years old when I was four years old I starting developing issues with using the toilet. Essentially I didn't like using them, it was a psychological thing. As a result I used to try and hold it as long as possible until the inevitable happened. As a result I wore nappies and pull ups until I was 10 years old. I'd always wear nappies for long car journeys and days out where a pull up wouldn't suffice.
My parents would stop at every service station on the way to wherever we were going and encourage me to use the toilet (I tried, but couldn't) so I'd usually just end up wetting my nappy as soon as we got back into the car and have to changed when we next stopped.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Lyric
My mother used to put me in nappies for long car journeys as I might fall asleep and wet my self.

Reactions: Diprs2, Lyric and bdale
Not as a small child but from aged 13 when my bedwetting got worse and I was in goodnites at night, I was allowed to wear one for long journeys where there was a risk I might fall asleep. Mostly after I wet myself (in my sleep) in the car on a long trip. I can forcibly remember an 8 or so hour plane journey when I was 14 or so because it was so thrilling for me to be allowed to be wearing goodnites in public. I soaked them 3 times in 8hrs. All on purpose pretending to be asleep haha.

Other than night time, long journeys are one of the few times you can pretty much guarantee I'm heavily padded even now. I took a trip to Vegas last year (11hr flight) and wore a tykables overnight so I wouldn't have to try and change my nappy on the plane in those tiny bathrooms. Not discrete, especially given I was absolutely soaked through by the time we landed, but worth it to not have to worry about wetting a plane seat.

Reactions: Diprs2, TigerDL, gobphus and 1 other person
dreamdreamer84 said:
Not as a small child but from aged 13 when my bedwetting got worse and I was in goodnites at night, I was allowed to wear one for long journeys where there was a risk I might fall asleep. Mostly after I wet myself (in my sleep) in the car on a long trip. I can forcibly remember an 8 or so hour plane journey when I was 14 or so because it was so thrilling for me to be allowed to be wearing goodnites in public. I soaked them 3 times in 8hrs. All on purpose pretending to be asleep haha.

Other than night time, long journeys are one of the few times you can pretty much guarantee I'm heavily padded even now. I took a trip to Vegas last year (11hr flight) and wore a tykables overnight so I wouldn't have to try and change my nappy on the plane in those tiny bathrooms. Not discrete, especially given I was absolutely soaked through by the time we landed, but worth it to not have to worry about wetting a plane seat.
I like your matter-of-fact, let's-enjoy-ourselves attitude toward nappies and wetting. Tykables Overnights are probably my favorite ABDL diaper. However, I'm not wearing the less expensive Adventure Puffs from kitnitiative.com. They seems just as good as the big-name brands like NorthShore and Rearz. For long trips I favor NorthShore GoSupreme pull-ups but I do try to use the available toilets, rather than soaking my protection, which I save for true emergencies. You're bolder than I am in that regard.

Reactions: Diprs2
When I was 7 or. 8 years old, I fell asleep on a trip and peed on the back seat of my uncle's new Packard car. After that, I was required to wear a diaper whenever I rode in his car.

• Wow
Reactions: Diprs2 and gobphus
Nope. I wore pull-ups/Goodnites for bedwetting but not road trips. I had some accidents as a kid but not on road trips.

Reactions: Diprs2 and BwBunny
I wet the bed until I was 16, so if I was going to sleep in the car Iā€™d wear goodnites. Over the years this meant quite a few diaper changes at rest stops and gas stations. The goodnites also came in handy a couple of times when we were stuck in traffic. There were also a number of times when I used the goodnite without even sleeping which led to some awkward situations when we stopped and I needed to change because I was wet. (On one trip I even ran out of goodnites so we had to go to the store to buy more.) Sometime in elementary school I started changing myself so it wasnā€™t too embarrassing to actually change.

Reactions: Lyric, BwBunny, Diprs2 and 1 other person
I wasn't a bedwetter as a child, I was potty trained day and night before I was two. But my elder sister (2 years older than I) wet the bed until she was about 8 and, if I recall correctly, wore supermarket brand tape-on nappies.

When we drove to see my grandparents in Malaga (11 hours drive) our parents gave us both the option to wear a nappy in the car until I was probably about 9/10. I don't actually think there was ever a huge risk of us falling asleep in the car either because my Dad hated driving at night so we would set off in the morning around 6am and arrive by about 7pm stopping for lunch half way.

Reactions: TenaciousDL, Diprs2 and gobphus
Yes. I wasn't a good traveller in the car as a kid and I'd often get car sick. I found the best way to avoid this was to close my eyes, which meant I'd usually fall asleep really quickly. And this meant wetting accidents were quite likely. It didn't help that most of the long car trips would start straight after getting home from school, with my dad driving well into the night until we either arrived at our destination or a motel for an overnight break.
When I got home from school, I'd get out of my school clothes and then mum would diaper me. I'd usually put on my pyjamas and then get into the car. Although I changed from diapers to DryNites around 6 years of age for my bedwetting, for car trips mum insisted on proper diapers. I wasn't too worried about having to wear diapers in the car as no one could see me and they were so much better than wet pants and a wet car seat (and very irate parents). Mum would check my diaper whenever we stopped and change me on the back seat of the car (or back of the station wagon) if needed.
I can remember wearing DryNites/Pull-ups to the zoo and to the Royal Easter Show (like a huge State Fair in the US I guess) when I was 8 or 9.

Reactions: TenaciousDL
DLBeth said:
I'm incontinent so not been out of nappies really,

When I was younger mum would have me wear a drynite when we were travelling so to keep from stopping so often but usually ended up changing my pull up for one of my night nappies when we arrived at our destination for the rest of the day
I assume your nighttime protection was different in some way. Was it also a pull-up type or was it nappy with tabs?

A little bit, not very often though

BwBunny said:
I assume your nighttime protection was different in some way. Was it also a pull-up type or was it nappy with tabs?
My nighttime protection was nappy with tabs

Reactions: Andy86 and gobphus
Yeah my mother was very I guess cautious and kept me diapered outside a lot such as going outside in trips or the like. Honestly probably where this originates.

Reactions: AJFan2020
We used pull-ups for our two kids ā€¦ great backups just in case. When I was a kid in the seventies we didnā€™t have that option and my parents would handle us a pickle jar. Way more embarrassing than a diaper in front of your siblings ā€¦. You had to ask for the jar and if you werenā€™t the first then you had to add to your brothers / sisters pee šŸ˜¢

• Wow
Reactions: gobphus
I'm surprised so many people were put in diapers out of caution. I guess my parents wanted my brother and I potty trained as quickly as possible.

Reactions: AJFan2020
I was potty trained when I was 11 or 12 years old and that was only for secondary school. But I still wanted to wear diapers so I was aloud them at home

craigd1341 said:
We used pull-ups for our two kids ā€¦ great backups just in case. When I was a kid in the seventies we didnā€™t have that option and my parents would handle us a pickle jar. Way more embarrassing than a diaper in front of your siblings ā€¦. You had to ask for the jar and if you werenā€™t the first then you had to add to your brothers / sisters pee šŸ˜¢
I forgot about the ā€œpee canā€ my parents often had for my brothers and me, also in the 70s. It was a Maxwell house coffee can with plastic snap-on lid. It was impossible to hide that you were using it with the loud sound from the stream hitting the metal, especially if you were the first to have to go. We used pull-ups with our kid - modern child car seats all but make the pee can method impossible without stopping and completely unbuckling. By age 4, he had a bladder of steel and could probably hold it longer than my wife and I, anyway, so they werenā€™t much needed unless traveling at night and he was asleep.

Reactions: AJFan2020 and craigd1341
I was potty trained somewhere between 18 months and two years of age in 1964. There were no pull-ups or even disposable diapers, I believe. I was never put back in diapers, even after I started wetting the bed, infrequently, between ages 6 and 11. I think I would have felt great shame if I had been put back in diapers, even though I had a secret desire to wear them again.

Back