We're you ever asked "Have you messed yourself?"

immp

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
Although it was quite a common question when I was a teenager, I think I've only ever been asked the question as an adult on two occasions. I have nearly always answered "No" when challenged, but I do remember occasionally admitting it when the question was asked in a more caring way.

In the care home, some helpers were more likely to be angry when asking. Things like "Have you shit your pants" would almost certainly meet with denial. "Did you have an accident", however, would be far more likely to get a nod of the head or a tearful admission of guilt. If asked "Do you need the toilet" I'd always say no.

If you were accused, what words were used? Did you always deny it or were you honest? I guess if punishment was the norm, then the former would have been more likely. If you denied it, would you then quietly change and hide the evidence to avoid getting caught?

What about as an adult? Would you admit it when asked these days?

Reactions: wetaccident
I've been IC since the beginning so having a load in my diaper is quite normal when I was a kid. I hadn't learned how to learn bowel management. When I was a child (~4 -6) and my mom (or sister) would ask if I was dirty. It was easier to just say "yes." Our family was very understanding and I was never punished (unless I was doing something else). As I got older (~6 - 8) I would say "no" because I couldn't be bothered. I didn't like being changed. Even if I had a load in my diaper. When I was in school my teachers or aides would ask if I had an accident. Even if I was embarrassed I would admit it. By the time I learned bowel management I rarely had daytime BM's. Obviously I had been changing myself for years. As a young adult I don't think anyone noticed if I did. I've been using internal deodorants for years (by my doctor's advice). Now I'm in my early 30's. My girlfriend is helpful and understanding. She knows that most of the BM's happen when sleeping. In the morning (when she's here) she says "do you have a dirty diaper?" It doesn't really bother me when she asks. But sometimes in the early morning when she's cuddling next to me she likes to feel my bottom.
She'll say "It looks like you have a big one" and touches my diaper. I just jump out of bed and go strait to the bathroom. I rarely have BM daytime accidents. But when she's here she likes to "diaper checking" me if I might have had one. Most of the time I'm just wet. So if she asks I just say "i'm wet, not dirty."

Last edited:
Reactions: antoniorain789
A few times, when I was younger in a boat seesick picking over the side of The boat and aparintly crapped myself to. Thay turned back to the dock and kicked me off. Telling my mother, he exploded Frome both ends. Knobody asked. After a motersycle acksidant , RNs or CNAs had to ask that question alout buy nover angry or meen

last time someone asked me that I was a child. Been a long long time.

It has happened before... not always easy to hide it when it happens in a small vehicle

immp said:
Although it was quite a common question when I was a teenager, I think I've only ever been asked the question as an adult on two occasions. I have nearly always answered "No" when challenged, but I do remember occasionally admitting it when the question was asked in a more caring way.

In the care home, some helpers were more likely to be angry when asking. Things like "Have you shit your pants" would almost certainly meet with denial. "Did you have an accident", however, would be far more likely to get a nod of the head or a tearful admission of guilt. If asked "Do you need the toilet" I'd always say no.

If you were accused, what words were used? Did you always deny it or were you honest? I guess if punishment was the norm, then the former would have been more likely. If you denied it, would you then quietly change and hide the evidence to avoid getting caught?

What about as an adult? Would you admit it when asked these days?
My caregivers will ask if they smell something or suspect I may have had a BM. I used to always deny it when I was younger. I still sometimes deny it now although they usually can tell anyways.

I popped in my 5t 6t pull up and I did not even know it 2 days ago

Not messing but often asked as a kid if I had wet my self again.

Reactions: wetaccident
Funny thing,my wife actually asked that this morning as she woke me up. I have uic and it's worst at night so I wear tranquity atn with 3 boosters pads. So when I wake up with a soaked diaper my crouch area is pretty uncomfortable anyway and feels pretty squishy. But sometime during the night I had a bit of a case of the runs(diarea). I told her no when she asked, telling I had gas. And after I got out of bed I went to fix a cup of coffee and she walked behind me and again asked if I messed my diaper and before I said no. She grab the back of the diaper and told me she thinks I should shower soon maybe before I drank my coffee. Thank God it was mainly liquid no real mess to clean up.

Yes, I have been asked that by my psychologist who had been told I was incontinent in my referral. She assumed it was total incontinence when it is just urinary, and there was a manure/ septic smell coming through the window during our session which she assumed was me. “I was going to ask you the same question” added some levity to the moment.

I had messier today fist one was in a pull up 5t-6t and my last one was in a size 8 pampers

My mother used to ask “Have you filled your nappy?” It was kinder than asking if I’d messed myself, but no less embarrassing.

Back