wearing Diapers till 15 . Is this more common today?

Dandelion

PMD Dribbler
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
While we were out shopping in a super store yesterday I took a closer look at the diapers /pull-ups etc.
Some packs were labelled up to 9- to 15 year olds.
I wore nappies till I was nearly 6 back in the early 70s and it made me wonder that if 9-15 year old size nappies
are a normal sales item nowadays , then is wetting into teenage years more common than we would think?
I also notice that adult incontinence products in some shops are starting to end up on the same isle as the baby products
where before this was not so.
Is the human race becoming more in continent or is it just becoming less hidden?

Last edited:
  • Thinking
Reactions: Diprs2, sport1, Rezzu and 2 others
The ones labelled as being for up to 15 are pull-ups for night-time. There have always been kids who had accidents at night.

Reactions: Diprs2, Elhon and Danee599
I feel like the amount of people with the problem has always been the same there is just alot more products easily available these day

Reactions: Diprs2, puravidadip, lilbabyjooce and 1 other person
I think teens where just being put in baby diapers/adult diapers before. You didn't notice because you assumed if someone was buying baby diapers they would be for a baby

Reactions: Diprs2 and babyamelia
In the US, I seem to remember the larger size Goodnites, and many off brands, have been marketed at that 8-14 age group since early 2000s. Must be sales are pretty good!

One could argue some parents are more liberal in their tolerance and acceptance of things kids do that may have been more frowned upon even a couple decades ago. So is there more nocturnal enuresis now than then? Unknown, but Goodnites are marketed more for bedwetting so it could be more of a nurture versus nature thing. I certainly don’t think there’s tangible evidence to support an evolutionary (genetic of you prefer) change in 10-20 years. But, I’m open to facts to support the contrary.

My parents would have been more concerned about fixing the problem (bedwetting) than throwing me in diapers for bedwetting when I was in that age range. Socially it would not have been acceptable either, at least where I grew up.

Reactions: Diprs2, Zeke, swirrll and 3 others
Dandelion said:
While we were out shopping in a super store yesterday I took a closer look at the diapers /pull-ups etc.
I wore nappies till I was nearly 6 back in the early 70s and it made me wonder that if 9-15 year old size nappies
are a normal sales item nowadays , then is wetting into teenage years more common than we would think?
I also notice that adult incontinence products in some shops are starting to end up on the same isle as the baby products
Is the human race becoming more in continent or is it just becoming less hidden?
There is a whole lot more people in the world today then there was in the 60s-70s, Makes sense that the % would still be the same or close, it's just a hire number as also hire population.

Reactions: Diprs2, Zeke, iatec779 and 1 other person
I think another part is the ease of use disposables brought, since it is less of a hassle to deal with many parents just aren't bothered as much to get their kids out of diapers as soon as possible.

But when you had to wash a lot more and deal with everything so manually it was a priority to get the process over.

Reactions: Diprs2, Zeke and tiron101
Yeah I’m going to go with what people have said. I don’t think there are more teens that need them I think companies just realized there was a market that would buy specialized products.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Zeke
Dandelion said:
They're for bedwetting. I needed those until I was 12.

Reactions: disabledinconben
I know I wore goodnites til I was 15 for bed wetting and I wasn't the only one I knew that did. I don't know anything about the statistics of teens wearing at that age but for me personally I was super happy to wake up in a wet goodnites versus a soaked, cold smelly bed! This was back in the mid 90's.

Reactions: Zeke, TheDideeboy and disabledinconben
Possibly some of both. More people including incontinent ones. And because there are more people, there are more products, which brings it into plain view instead of being a closet problem.
zion said:
I think another part is the ease of use disposables brought, since it is less of a hassle to deal with many parents just aren't bothered as much to get their kids out of diapers as soon as possible.

But when you had to wash a lot more and deal with everything so manually it was a priority to get the process over.
That's a really good take. Maybe because it's easier to deal with it, there's less urgency to rush the process, which usually doesn't work anyway. So instead of dealing with the washing, they just buy what's available and wait it out.

products for bedwetting have been around a lot longer than Goodnites they were not as well known

Attachments

• 348_StayDry_Panties.jpg
    348_StayDry_Panties.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 831d226c57eff13ff96c405385.jpg
    831d226c57eff13ff96c405385.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 954682_508435272538699_551200980_n.jpg
    954682_508435272538699_551200980_n.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 157
Reactions: sport1, Deleted member 59082, LinkDL and 6 others
The further the continents move away from each other, the less continent we are.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: diapeybabybrian, EcoIncon, huggiesthick and 2 others
Like others have said I do wonder if companies are aware of needs or have a target range, but also want parents to know they offer products for older kids. Being IC and paralyzed I do often meet and talk with others with disabilities and often especially with special needs parents even though they are very smart and educated many don't know various ic products available. So like last year I was cleaning out some older products I finally came to terms likely hood of me fitting into them again is probably not going to happen (we all know diapers are expensive so I had few cases of Abena, Molicare few others in Medium) but remember one of the times I ordered Med Tranquility ATN they sent me smalls I know someone with a special needs teen and asked if they had need or knew of someone. They did express how unhappy they were state provided ones. I did go extra mile(sometimes like to do good things or pass it forward) so I not only had the case of ATN's but also picked up a pack of NS, Abena, and NS Boosters. When I met with the mother I explained what they were & mentioned I get with disabilities things get expensive the NS/Abena maybe good options for special use but the boosters are great affordable option to extend use of what they currently get provided. They were super appreciative they heard of the ATN's but didn't know about others and have told them about other brands as well one thing she mentioned was this topic isn't something many don't talk about even medical providers which I understand that frustration and why I like to advocate or provide advice because I wouldn't want someone in similar situation have to go through what I did.

That family I donated diapers to have since started getting better ones for special use and earlier this year they were so happy because they were able to go to a family party without issues.

So from experience I don't think it's totally new problem, I do think there maybe more kids/people diagnosed under special needs umbrella because access to care has gotten better, I think parents more aware of disabilities, and think there is more support. Even go back say 10yrs sometimes if the docs didn't know some kids were misdiagnosised as add/ADHD and might of been ASD or something else. But even with diagnosis I do think incontinence in older kids was also misunderstood like it being a legit medical issue vs psych issue also in the world of acceptance it does feel like or seem with as many products geared towards say bed wetting even that's accepted where even though I don't have best memory when I was a kid many were shamed and punished or it wasn't understood most kids weren't doing it on purpose. Also as I mentioned I do think companies are realizing many people don't know there are other options so they increase marketing

Reactions: MaxxH, CptKirk and disabledinconben
For me i wore diapers till i was about 17 years old for wetting issues and it was in the early 2000s , i didn't notice a lot of diapers for 15 year old at the time except for goodnites . I wore those medical style diapers as abdl diapers are rare at the time .

I was thinking another thought is they normally sell adult diapers in a different section of most store and I get in one way it's so the person doesn't feel like a baby but same token if you have a parent that has a child or teen that needs diapers for an older child they may not know there is bigger diapers so if they put certain sizes for youth and teens where most diapers are located there easier to find like say not special needs a youth starts bed wetting and parent may go to the diaper section not knowing about incontinence before doing research also does seem that even though the need may not be new but also know from way I used to shop in used to stroll down every isle and if a parent does that they may happen to see them.

ParaRomeo said:
I was thinking another thought is they normally sell adult diapers in a different section of most store and I get in one way it's so the person doesn't feel like a baby but same token if you have a parent that has a child or teen that needs diapers for an older child they may not know there is bigger diapers so if they put certain sizes for youth and teens where most diapers are located there easier to find like say not special needs a youth starts bed wetting and parent may go to the diaper section not knowing about incontinence before doing research also does seem that even though the need may not be new but also know from way I used to shop in used to stroll down every isle and if a parent does that they may happen to see them.
back when Goodnites came out with their Boxer Style I remember reading that they were suggesting placing them in different locations including children's underwear aisles and the aisle where they sold bed sheets and protectors and even the laundry aisle to avoid placing them with baby diapers

I also remember they had some packaged in cans to put in those aisles

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: patrick1776 and ParaRomeo
Dandelion said:
Not sure but more "adaptive" clothes and everything are more widely available, so maybe it's becoming more marketable to include these groups.

I’m guessing that they advertise to age 15 because kids are getting bigger. So while a normal sized 15 year old could fit them, more likely it’s being worn by a larger 12 year old.

I always find it odd that they advertise as being specifically for up to age 15. I don't think there's usually a big height difference between somebody at 15-years-old and at 16/17 etc years old, especially with girls who have usually reached their adult height by 15 (it can be a year or so later in boys). There can also be a huge height and weight difference between a group of 14/ 15 year old teens, some 14-year-olds are definitely going to be too big to properly fit into Drynites whilst others will still fit them into their early twenties (I definitely could still wear them comfortably and functionally for several years past the age of 15) so it seems odd to have a specific age range on them. Especially considering that baby/ toddler nappies and pull-ups tend only to have the weight range labelled; I can only assume they put the age on Drynites so that parents don't bypass them in the store because they assume nothing is available past pre-school age. But who decided specifically that 15 would be the cut off? I feel like they could just as accurately say 9-14 or 9-16, is there any research that bedwetting rates have a steep drop-off after 15 or something?

Last edited:
Back