Was there one accident that was the last straw, that led you to wearing diapers?

There was no specific accident that made me get diapers, but I've wet myself multiple times while out of the house (thankfully never inside a building or when people were around) and I have close calls on a regular basis because I have a roommate and there's only one bathroom between us. I don't typically need them, but I keep diapers around as a "just in case" kind of thing, especially for days where my bladder is weaker than usual. They're also handy during work on bad days because they keep me from having to go to the bathroom literally every 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: cantwait and Diprs2
Uncomfortable 💩💥💩💥!

I was in the 3rd grade and wet my pants several times and one day I called my mom and she went and brought me some diapers to keep at school so I could be changed by the nurse.

Reactions: Angelapinks and Diprs2
It's funny how these episodes are things we keep coming back to over and over again, and that shape how we think about this stuff.

I don't know how to talk about my own public wet pants incidents. I feel like I really need to talk about some of them, but it's hard because I always feel like it's over-sharing and TMI. And over time the memories fade, and I'm just left with this feeling that I wish there were someone else who knew about "that time when X" but even I don't remember "that time when X" as clearly as I did when the memory was fresh.

We use language like "I didn't make it to the bathroom in time" and it sounds so cliche but -- if you're not wearing a diaper, then yes, that is totally a thing, and it happens, and the details are very messy and very biological, and suddenly it's not cliche anymore, it's "that thing that happened that made me start wearing diapers to work".

Reactions: cantwait
cantwait said:
A couple of years ago my IBS became so unpredictable that I messed myself on the way to work. This led me to finally talking to my doctor, and eventually led me to wearing diapers whenever I leave the house. I’ve had many other accidents, but this was the last straw when I realized I cannot control myself.
My sympathies are with you folks that are experiencing IBS and the other G.I. tract conditions that are so unpredictable. At least my dual ic is every day with very little in the way of surprises for me so I pretty much know what’s going to happen with the aft exhaust port that day. There was a learning curve in the beginning of my journey with ic and some stiff lessons in how to deal with handling it, especially in public. Even when dealing with it at home it took me several months before I decided to try using my bathtub/shower with a handheld shower with a 100” hose for cleanup for diaper change prep at least once a day. Dealing with a mess at home was far easier than doing so out and about in a busy, often filthy, public restroom. This was especially true as I began to accumulate the necessary items for dealing with the mess and the possible aftermath of diaper rash.

julian said:
It's funny how these episodes are things we keep coming back to over and over again, and that shape how we think about this stuff.

I don't know how to talk about my own public wet pants incidents. I feel like I really need to talk about some of them, but it's hard because I always feel like it's over-sharing and TMI. And over time the memories fade, and I'm just left with this feeling that I wish there were someone else who knew about "that time when X" but even I don't remember "that time when X" as clearly as I did when the memory was fresh.

We use language like "I didn't make it to the bathroom in time" and it sounds so cliche but -- if you're not wearing a diaper, then yes, that is totally a thing, and it happens, and the details are very messy and very biological, and suddenly it's not cliche anymore, it's "that thing that happened that made me start wearing diapers to work".
Totally. I was just talking to an ex-girlfriend the other day, and she brought up several instances that I totally forgot about.

Yep! I remember. I was already having some issues. Back then I was doing a long drive from Los Angeles to Sacramento. I made a stop at Starbucks; went to the potty and all was well. After I left and continued my journey, I felt a release. And then a wet spot started to grow and grow. :oops: It didn’t stop! I was so mad. Had to find a local medical supply store and buy diapers. And walking in with a wet marker was not fun.

Reactions: Babynie and cantwait
A few years ago, I started having post urination dribble. After the third time of noticeable wet spots in public I knew I needed to do something. I went to my doctor and was prescribed some medication for BPH and suggested protective underwear or pads. He has also suggested the TURP surgery but with my history he does not think it completely fix the problem and a small possibility that it could make it worse.

Reactions: Angelapinks and Constantlydamp
I started with having urge issues but no leaking, then urges that would come out of nowhere and result in a little tiny squirt here or there, which was also easy enough to ignore, until I wet the bed one night, then the next night. I went and got checked out with no problems, and the symptoms went away. I'd have a few weeks dry, then a few days wet. After a particularly long dry streak of over a month, I was walking home from work one day when I got an urge and a good amount came out, enough to make a palm-sized wet spot on my jeans. I walked the rest of the way home (down a main street) embarrassed that someone might see... only to get home, put the key in the door, and wet myself so much i was standing in a puddle.

I took a shower, put on a diaper, and have been diapered since then. In the mean time, I was diagnosed with LADA (Latent autoimmune diabetes in adults), so that very likely was the cause of it.

Reactions: Lethdale, cantwait and Angelapinks
eastcoastdl said:
.... In the mean time, I was diagnosed with LADA (Latent autoimmune diabetes in adults), so that very likely was the cause of it.
Wow, looking up LADA seems to suggest my situation (and my brother and father). It definitely runs in the family.

I used to only use diapers at night and when I would be away from a toilet because back then it was only bladder and bowel urgency but one day I wet and pooped my pants without any sign I needed to go (I hate nerve damage). After that day I have always wore a diaper because I can't trust I will have time to make it to the toilet.

Reactions: cantwait and Deleted member 74559
bdale said:
A few years ago, I started having post urination dribble. After the third time of noticeable wet spots in public I knew I needed to do something. I went to my doctor and was prescribed some medication for BPH and suggested protective underwear or pads. He has also suggested the TURP surgery but with my history he does not think it completely fix the problem and a small possibility that it could make it worse.
Same with me, my urologist suggested more pills and another systocope which I hated the first time. I have Prostate problems and tend to retain fluid until I don't. I never know when I will leak or even when I need to go to the bathroom due to several back procedures over the last few years. I have injured my back several times over the last 40 years and have to live with the consequences. The doctor told me that retaining excess urine can be harmful so I get a pill that helps me drain it away at night so diapers were the best solution due to dizzy spells at night trying to go to the bathroom. Now I get a great nights sleep but I am totally wet in the morning. Better a diaper than my sheets and mattress though.

Reactions: Napincolove, Constantlydamp, diaperdude and 1 other person
For my first 60 years I considered myself "continent" (whatever that is supposed to mean), despite the fact that I was an ABDL. During these first 60 years as an ABDL, I only gradually accepted the fact that I was an ABDL. When I first "lost my virginity" my desire to wear an occasional diaper went from maybe once a year to once or twice a week! Then I could no longer deny to myself that I was an ABDL.

On my 60th birthday I gave myself a little birthday present. I simply decided to stop feeling guilty or shameful about being an ABDL, and to allow myself enough high quality diapers to generally diaper myself every night from then on, if I wanted. After a few years of this, I gradually became a 365 nights a year person. After a year or so of wearing every night, I started to develop what I will call "functional incontinence," meaning I started wetting myself automatically most nights.

I knew that I was automatically wetting myself when once, after a hard day's work, I went to bed wearing only my regular underwear, but with a pee pad under myself just in case. (It was just easier and faster to get to bed this way.) I woke up later that night to wet underwear and a wet pee pad. Ever since then I've had absolutely no doubt that I am in fact "functionally incontinent," and I just make the best I can with what I've got.

Has anyone else here had anything like this (started as an ABDL but later became incontinent) happen to them? (It almost sounds like it may be a familiar theme here.)

Last edited:
Raven801 said:
For me IBS started out being a rapid building of stomach pain and urgency ....so you eat something and it's like instant diarrhea and the longer you hold it the worse it gets especially pain wise when it first started I'd have 15 or 20 minutes until I would hit pain levels high enough or urgency where a accident might happen.
Now today I even look at a taco bell or fried chicken or a cup of coffee ...sheesh .. ok so if I was to drink a cup of coffee it's almost instant I feel like young Mike Tyson just started going ape on my guts and the pain builds so fast as does the pressure and urgency holding it for merely a minute is too much .... It hurts so bad you honestly don't care you would shit your pants in front of anybody you don't care it hurts so bad and the urgency is extremely over powering and it build soo fast the urge and the pain seem to double every 10 seconds..... It's like a panic inducing anxiety pumping stupid painful gut busting shitty explosion. There that's ibs sounds fun right ? ... Yeah I wear diapers 24-7 for uic and yup when Ibs strikes I generally don't even try to hold it ... Less pain is good...
I know exacly what you're going trough, i've been dealing with Crohn's and the urgency/pain is unbelievable for people that don't know what we are going trough. After an incident at the beginning of the Covid outbreak with all the public restrooms not open i decided to go 24/7 the hell with that!! Way easier to change a messy diaper than getting my truck detailed!

Reactions: cantwait and Raven801
Zeke said:
My sympathies are with you folks that are experiencing IBS and the other G.I. tract conditions that are so unpredictable. At least my dual ic is every day with very little in the way of surprises for me so I pretty much know what’s going to happen with the aft exhaust port that day. There was a learning curve in the beginning of my journey with ic and some stiff lessons in how to deal with handling it, especially in public. Even when dealing with it at home it took me several months before I decided to try using my bathtub/shower with a handheld shower with a 100” hose for cleanup for diaper change prep at least once a day. Dealing with a mess at home was far easier than doing so out and about in a busy, often filthy, public restroom. This was especially true as I began to accumulate the necessary items for dealing with the mess and the possible aftermath of diaper rash.
I'm still having issues when out and about doing some shopping etc... i don't care when i'm either at home or on my way home but having and episode with a full shopping cart is the most embarassing situation i ever had to go trough!! Actually make that the second one, the first is filling my diaper during an Ct-scan that was brutally humiliating!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: cantwait, Zeke, JustMe and 1 other person
slimjiminy said:
Wow, looking up LADA seems to suggest my situation (and my brother and father). It definitely runs in the family.
Yeah, but after a year of insulin, metformin, and lifestyle/diet changes, it went away. So maybe it was type 2? Who knows, I'm no doc haha. The incontinence though, has not gone away.

Last edited:
eastcoastdl said:
Yeah, but after a year of insulin, metformin, and lifestyle/diet changes, it went away. So maybe it was type 2? Who knows, I'm no doc haha. The incontinence though, has not gone away.
My diabetes has definitely gone away. Progressively over the years, it just keeps getting worse.

• Sad
Reactions: eastcoastdl and diaperdude
slimjiminy said:
My diabetes has definitely gone away. Progressively over the years, it just keeps getting worse.
Oops, that should have read:
My diabetes has definitely NOT gone away.

Back