Waking up to pee at night

I used to try really hard not to pee in a diaper unless it was a genuine accident. Like @Pino , getting up more than 4 times a night was literally killing me. So I surrendered and starting using the diaper. I really don't ever completely wake up at night anymore and it's extremely rare that I ever use the toilet after I go to bed.

All of that said, at one point it was super important to me not to have accidents... Find a nighttime diaper with velcro closures or a very reliable plastic landing zone (let us know if you need suggestions). You really only need to remove one tape to use the toilet effectively. I also used to keep a roll of packing tape behind the commode so that if I screwed up and ripped the tape, I'd just add a piece of packing tape to secure the diaper till morning.

Good luck with this. I honor your struggle.

• Thinking
Reactions: hbic60, Diprs2 and Pino
UnderTheRadar said:
Wait? Fitbit knows when you wet the bed?
Hi UnderTheRadar
I am making a fairly logical assumption about my fit bit, as on the sleep breakdown I can see many short moments of awareness throughout the entire night and know that at least two or three are me peeing , so my assumption is all of those moments of awareness (possibly 15 or more) must be me peeing as my Nappy will not be swimming from just three or four wettings but in the morning it is full to overflowing.
I hope this answers your question.

• Thinking
Reactions: Diprs2, UnderTheRadar and Pino
Napincolove said:
I would just suggest that peeing in your Nappy is perfectly acceptable especially if it is already wet, when you are woken by the urge just try to forget it and go back to sleep as getting up will destroy your quality of sleep !
I pee my Nappy maybe 15 times or more a night (shown by my fitbit) but for a vast majority of those times it is only a few seconds of semi conscious awareness and the rest I have no memory of at all giving me a much better sleep.
This may not be for you as everyone is different and you must find what works for you and go with the flow !
Good luck in your discovery and really do not worry about nightime wetting.
How are you tracking it with your Fitbit?

Reactions: Diprs2
It's a personal preference but think about capacity an defently talk it over with your better half last thing you want is her waking up in "your mess!". Now in my case I don't have a choice it's limit fluids before bed, an for when I was sick we made a bassinet for our room. Though I did work with her to make a nursery that was more for play time. But we were a husband and wife first an that came first, always. She needs to be comfortable with this.make sure she's fine with this!

Reactions: dogboy, Diprs2 and UnderTheRadar
OmiOMy said:
How are you tracking it with your Fitbit?
I go to the sleep part on my tablet and look at the detailed sleep section that shows REM, DEEP, Light sleep and waking, the awake parts are shown by very fine red lines sticking up into the awake part of the graph, I hope that makes sense?

It's understandable that you're looking for a convenient solution. While it might save time and hassle, intentionally wetting the diaper could feel uncomfortable to you. Consider your comfort level and personal preference in this situation. If you're finding it difficult to manage tape diapers, you could explore alternatives like all-in-one styles. It's normal to wonder about the absorbency, but everyone's body is different. Finding the right balance between convenience and personal comfort is key.

Reactions: Angelapinks and Diprs2
I wake up several times for a pee in the night. I all ways know straight away weather or not I'm wearing a nappy. if I'm not I have to get up and go to the bathroom. normally dribbling a little on the way, to be cleaned up later, and use the loo. if I am wearing, which i much prefer i can just lay in bed, let go and clean up in the morning. same applies if I need to do number 2.

Reactions: cantwait, Angelapinks and Diprs2
UnderTheRadar said:
So I only have incontinence at night when I'm sleeping... But sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night, and I've already wet the diaper.. But the diaper has plenty more capacity left...

Anyways so sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night and I need to go pee... But I feel kind of weird about the idea of intentionally peeing in the diaper even if it's already wet... So I get up and go to the restroom... The problem is I prefer a plastic backed tape diaper... And sometimes it can be kind of hard to do my business... Either have to take the diaper off and try to retape it which may or may not work... Or I have to take the diaper off and change which is kind of hard to do without accidentally waking my wife up... And I would rather not wake her up

So I guess my question is, if I've already peed in the diaper... Is it wrong to just pee in the diaper? I've never done it but it seems like it would be much more convenient than going to the restroom in the middle of the night and trying to fight diaper tapes...

Not to mention I feel like if I end up having to put a second diaper on in the middle of the night because The tapes rip the plastic, that just ends up doubling my cost of diapers for the night...

Not to mention, I found it kind of hard to go back to sleep after having to figure out how to use the restroom with a tape diaper on in the middle of the night...

But at the same time it just seems weird and kind of dirty to me to pee on purpose... Even though I feel like it would save money and definitely time

(Also on a comical note comical note, how is it that diaper can soak up so much pee, but then I wake up and still ha
ve to pee?)
I pinned myself in to my night time diaper at ten last night and then went to bed. I woke up about three this morning. I was wet. I vaguely remember the warm wet flood or at least think I do. I just rolled over and went back to sleep and woke up about half an hour ago sopping wet. I think I may have peed several times after going back to sleep. I am changed now and in a dry diaper and clean plastic pants for the day or at least hopefully for most of the morning. I hope I don't wet too much today.

Reactions: Angelapinks, Wetshisbed and Diprs2
In addition to the great points you mentioned, I think an important thing to consider in whether to actively 'use' a night diaper or not is quality-of-life.

For me anyways, getting up 1-3x night to use the bathroom was hardly noticeable in my mood and energy...for a few weeks.

But after 3-6 months, a year or more, the long term fatigue and energy drain can really begin to stack up from regular sleep disruption.

When I finally made the decision to just use the bedtime diapers after they were on for the night (whether I was awake or not), I gradually stopped waking up as much in the middle of the night, and now I sleep all night and have a lot less brain fog and a lot more energy during the day.

This hasn't caused me any additional daytime bladder weakness or incontinence (beyond what has already been present), and ultimately I think the better sleep quality is one of the few factors I do have real control over for how well my body can function and repair itself.

Apologies for the length! I'm all-in for night diapers lol🙂, and I hope you can work out something that is a good solution for you.

Reactions: Diprs2, hbic60, chamberpot and 1 other person
UnderTheRadar said:
Yeah I just feel like it gross or lazy... I know a lot of you guys do it but it weirds me out

I asked my wife about it and it was a quick "no... Just go for the bathroom"

I honestly don't know if I could even intentionally pee in the diaper... I am very gun shy... I have trouble peeing in a public restroom even if I'm in the stall... It was drilled in my head when I was a little kid that "potty time is your time" and that, "We only pee pee in the potty"

I mean I have trouble peeing if my wife walks into the bathroom...

I definitely know that I would not do it, even if it makes my sleep schedule better and makes me more comfortable, unless my wife was okay with it... And it seems like she's not but I'm not sure how to explain the idea or sell the idea?
It's a very honorable thing that you are asking your wife somehow for "permission" to use your diaper, but - in the end - it should be your decision.

As I already told in this thread, I also discussed with my wife about that issue, but in opposite to your wife she understood quite well my need of finding a good deep sleep. She had to live for a certain time with back and hip pain which made her waking up quite often in the nights and had a vivid memory what a lack of sleep feels like and means for the health . So, yes, she could follow the logics behind my decision instead of:
waking up with an urge - getting up - rushing half asleep to the bathroom - fiddling with the tapes - often disappointment that meanwhile my pee already starts to flow - meanwhile being fully awoke - coming back to bed - needing half an hour to find back to sleep - several times each night
I preferred rather: waking up with an urge - roll on my back - release - come back to sleep in more or less a very few minutes.

After some time I didn't wake up completely any more with an urge, it became maximum half-sleep, and meanwhile I even can't tell in the morning how often in the night I wet at all. Sometimes I wake up thinking that I used my diaper only once or twice, but anyhow it's fully saturated and if I have a look on the sleep phases of my Apple smartwatch I can clearly identify much more phases where I switch from deep sleep to light sleep...
Believe me, over the time I simply got used to use my diapers without any issue with my wife just lying besides me, sometimes even in her arms.

I won't think about "how to sell the idea" - you don't have to sell anything to your wife but to explain you thoughts, feelings and the options you have. For us it was quite easy, my wife and me are both working since decades in natural science jobs (she in chemistry, myself in IT), so following some logic is quite natural for both of us!

• Thinking
Reactions: Diprs2 and Pino
I agree with everybody on this blog. Yes, I wake up sometimes with the urge to pee and just roll over and go ahead and pee and back to sleep. Yes, back when I was in denial and using Pull-Ups that leaked at the drop of the hat. That is what got me into diapers full-time. Thinking back before my OAB that was noticed in a hospital visit. I was getting up 2-3 times a night now I am more rested.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Napincolove
fredy552 said:
I agree with everybody on this blog. Yes, I wake up sometimes with the urge to pee and just roll over and go ahead and pee and back to sleep. Yes, back when I was in denial and using Pull-Ups that leaked at the drop of the hat. That is what got me into diapers full-time. Thinking back before my OAB that was noticed in a hospital visit. I was getting up 2-3 times a night now I am more rested.
Oh yes absolutely. I sleep soundly now. I would rather be a bedwetter and get a decent nights sleep.

Reactions: Diprs2, Deleted member 39574, Napincolove and 1 other person
I wake up when I have to pee but can never be laying down so I have to get out of bed stand up pee my diaper then crawl bck into bed and go back to sleep

• Thinking
  • Sad
Reactions: Diprs2, Napincolove and Angelapinks
littledreamers333 said:
I wake up when I have to pee but can never be laying down so I have to get out of bed stand up pee my diaper then crawl bck into bed and go back to sleep
I honestly don't think I could pee unless I am sitting on or standing over a toilet

Reactions: littledreamers333 and Diprs2
Well last night woke midflow and it was a big pee , finished peeing and back to sleep quite quickly and slept Ed for another 4 hours

Reactions: Diprs2, Deleted member 39574, chamberpot and 1 other person
UnderTheRadar said:
I honestly don't think I could pee unless I am sitting on or standing over a toilet
Practice my friends that’s all it takes

Reactions: Diprs2 and chamberpot
parcelboy2 said:
Practice my friends that’s all it takes
I guess my concern is won't that lead to more bladder problems?

Well I chatted with my wife about this subject again... I basically explained that if I've already wet the diaper and I wake up and need to pee that I will not want to put it back on even if I could after going to the bathroom in the toilet

And if this unfortunately means I would need to use another one that night which doubles the cost

The other possibility is that I figure out a way to get my man parts out of the diaper maybe removing a tape or two... Or even maybe shimmying it down somehow... But my hips are wider than my waist so that is not necessarily the easiest thing to do

I've tried taking the diaper off, peeing in the toilet and then putting the diaper back on... But it proved to be quite a challenge especially for somebody that was only half awake... And it was met with limited success... Suppose times I tried at the end result was essentially being fully awake by the end of it with my mind running... And, wasting a second diaper

She agreed that she definitely would not want to put a wet diaper back on

Explain that from my perspective, if I've already peed in the diaper... It just makes sense to go ahead and use it... And just go back to sleep

But my wife pointed out that she doesn't think she would be able to do that, because she can barely pee in a cup if the doctor needs to take a urine sample

Admittedly I have trouble with doing things like that as well, so it may not even be realistic

But long story short she said she doesn't think there's a Right or wrong way to do it... She's perfectly fine with whatever I choose, and she thinks I'm overthinking it

So more I think about it the more I think it would just make sense that if I wake up to just go ahead, relax and try to pee in the diaper... If that works it would probably be a super easy way and I wouldn't have to waste a second diaper I wouldn't be awake for a long period of time...

If I can just stay laying down and pee then it seems like it would be the most restful option overall

PS:
My wife had mentioned that her biggest concern with intentionally paying in the diaper is that she worries that it will just make the condition worse... Ie, many times in my life when I've been extremely stressed it has triggered bedwetting... Her concern is that doing this might just reinforce on a psychological level at the bedwetting is okay...

I told her I disagree with that because the bed winning is unconscious and if I choose to do this intentionally it would be conscious so those two are not linked in that way

UnderTheRadar said:
PS:
My wife had mentioned that her biggest concern with intentionally paying in the diaper is that she worries that it will just make the condition worse... Ie, many times in my life when I've been extremely stressed it has triggered bedwetting... Her concern is that doing this might just reinforce on a psychological level at the bedwetting is okay...

I told herI disagree with that because the bed winning is unconscious and if I choose to do this intentionally it would be conscious so those two are not linked in that way
Congrats to your successful chat! If in the end she's fine whatever you choose to do you've reached an important goal. It's your body, it's your IC, so it's you who should decide what's best for you (in best case of course with agreement and acceptance of your wife)!

I fully understand the concerns your wife has that simply using your diaper could make the condition worse, that's something my wife also pointed out as I switched from the pull-up style to full diapers in the night and my belt type diapers for daytime use. But, as my GP told me, I should be prepared to the fact that my IC will be more or less a permanent condition, in very best case minimum a long term one. So in my thoughts - after accepting myself being IC - is the primary goal how to have the best quality of life. If I would feel happy and fine with using my protection as less as possible and always trying to sprint to the bathroom, I would do so. But that's not me. I don't want to arrange my life around my IC, I want to live my "normal", active and social life in the same way than before - without interrupting every talk or social activity with the excuse for the toilet, without missing long bicycle tours and hiking through the nature or weekend trips with our camper. Of course I still continue with exercising sometimes to hold in if an urge hits in order to keep my bladder capacity, for sure I still use the toilet if an urge hits, I'm not deep into something and I'm nearby the bathroom, I use the toilet always for #2, but otherwise it got normal for me not only to wear but also to use freely my diapers without hesitation or any kind of shame or embarrassment if it's needed or sometimes even if it is only more convenient!

• Thinking
Do what’s best for you. You’re a grown up, and don’t need acceptance from anyone, let alone your wife. If it’s easier to just use your diaper regardless of it being dry or wet before, then do it. It’s much better to get decent sleep, than worrying about whether it’s wrong of you do use your diaper, or go to the bathroom.

Reactions: Diprs2 and iatec779
Back