Uti issues with doctors

babyraggydolls

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
I am female, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong or what is wrong but we think I have a UTI

Since using one of those toilet frames I notice when I go to no2 the poop ends up near my labia, I wipe front to back and get myself clean immediately even using baby wipes. I went to the doctors a month ago, they wanted stool and urine samples, they called me 4 times now each time requesting a new urine sample, informing me that the previous 3 samples come back contained and I’m having to live on antibiotics in the meantime and I’m sick and tired.

The secretary at the doctors told me it’s a common symptom problem with samples which doesn’t give me much confidence in them. The nurse was moody with me and basically blamed me, she said I probably have a tummy upset, when I formed her that I have chronic constipation she didn’t really seem to care and just demanded another sample so I just hung up on her and called the management to make a complaint.

In the years I’ve been alive this is the first time I’ve ever had this issue with any doctors surgery, I’ve been registered with 4 in my lifetime. It seems a bit strange that the issues started when I got the toilet frame because my legs are to weak to bend down to our toilet that is very low down.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Sad
Reactions: Diprs2, BABYTIGERCUB and PadPhilosopher
Have you tried a mid stream sample ?

Another option might be to try and get a sample using the surgery's toilet (if you think the frame is related to contamination).

Reactions: Diprs2 and PadPhilosopher
anonnymouse said:
Have you tried a mid stream sample ?

Another option might be to try and get a sample using the surgery's toilet (if you think the frame is related to contamination).
I do the sample in the shower to make sure everything is clean like my hands and then I catch it mid stream. I’m worried that bacteria gets in my other parts because the frame is very high, when I poop it travels downwards, I’m worried they could cause the bacteria but the doctors don’t even tell me what the contamination is

babyraggydolls said:
I do the sample in the shower to make sure everything is clean like my hands and then I catch it mid stream. I’m worried that bacteria gets in my other parts because the frame is very high, when I poop it travels downwards, I’m worried they could cause the bacteria but the doctors don’t even tell me what the contamination is
Are you leaning so far forward on this high toilet frame that the poop has to travel past your labia instead of a direct drop from your anus to the toilet bowl? If so, you might want to rest your feet on a Squatty Potty so you can sit more upright.

Also, if the toilet frame is a bit too high, is it adjustable downward so the height is still useful but ergonomically better for your position while pooping? I had one that was, after my knee replacement, then used the same one for after my spinal stenosis surgery.

Yeah, I'm wondering if the frame has you positioned too high and things are, uh...working their way downhill... A Squatty Potty or other stool for your feet might be helpful, though you'd once again be bending your knees, unless you can use a stool that's quite high and placed far forward, so you don't have to bend your knees any more than you otherwise would. A typical toilet does indeed seat you so your knees are slightly higher than the seat, and it forces your rear to be extra low, relative to the front... Positioning yourself higher may very well be disrupting that.

Another thing regarding contamination, though. Are you cleaning yourself before collecting your sample? When I've given urine samples, I've always been provided with a disinfecting wipe (not just a baby wipe or equivalent) to clean myself with first, so that any surface contaminants on the skin should be a non-issue. I'm male, so it's easy enough for me to clean things, and there aren't any consequences to worry about... I don't know if cleaning before collecting a sample is standard practice when female anatomy is involved. For female anatomy, I know everything down there is in a delicate balance, and attempts to clean, especially with disinfecting agents, can throw the balance off between fungus and bacteria and lead to an infection of one or the other, so it's entirely possible that they might just take the approach of trying over and over until they get a good sample.

In that case, the contamination they're concerned with could just be standard skin bacteria, or even skin cells... On more detailed urine tests for more complex issues (not sure if your situation would count as such), they can look for the presence and quantity of skin cells (well...epithelial cells would probably be a better term) in the urine, and analyze those skin cells, to get a sense of what's going on inside the urinary tract, so including skin cells from outside the urinary tract might invalidate the test.

As alluded to above, collecting your sample mid-stream, when you already have a strong stream going, that hopefully isn't making any contact with skin, may work better, as opposed to including any initial trickles that might run across your skin. You're already doing that, though, so...I'm not sure what to say...

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, AttilaThePun and PadPhilosopher
I think it must be that the position of things. so I’ve brought a stool to raise my feet up, I brought body cleaner and incontinence wipes and I will get several sample bottles. I’ll wash my whole body in the shower and then use the wipes and then do the sample. It’s growing old but I will keep having to do the tests until they got a good one

Reactions: Jorelaxed, Diprs2, AttilaThePun and 1 other person
Have you tried submitting a sample without tons of cleaning ? As someone mentioned these themselves can contaminate a sample ?
Have you spoken with a nurse at the centre to ask advice to see if there's something obvious that none of us have thought of ?
Sometimes the obvious is so obvious it's invisible lol.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Diprs2 and PadPhilosopher
I think you're on the right track, but do note that the lack of information has hindered you in addressing the issue. If you can learn what the contamination is it will help you get a better sample, and maybe even help you solve the infection. Good guesses and possible mitigation strategies have been discussed here, but knowing for sure would answer a lot of questions, maybe even about why you have this pesky UTI in the first place.

Reactions: Diprs2, AttilaThePun and Edgewater
babyraggydolls said:
I am female, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong or what is wrong but we think I have a UTI

Since using one of those toilet frames I notice when I go to no2 the poop ends up near my labia, I wipe front to back and get myself clean immediately even using baby wipes. I went to the doctors a month ago, they wanted stool and urine samples, they called me 4 times now each time requesting a new urine sample, informing me that the previous 3 samples come back contained and I’m having to live on antibiotics in the meantime and I’m sick and tired.

The secretary at the doctors told me it’s a common symptom problem with samples which doesn’t give me much confidence in them. The nurse was moody with me and basically blamed me, she said I probably have a tummy upset, when I formed her that I have chronic constipation she didn’t really seem to care and just demanded another sample so I just hung up on her and called the management to make a complaint.

In the years I’ve been alive this is the first time I’ve ever had this issue with any doctors surgery, I’ve been registered with 4 in my lifetime. It seems a bit strange that the issues started when I got the toilet frame because my legs are to weak to bend down to our toilet that is very low down.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have the same problem getting a clean sample, so my doctor did a clean sample by doing a sterile catheterization technique they had 2 tech do the prep by cleaning the opening and placing the catheter in with out touching the tissue around the opening took three attempts to do but they finally got a good clean sample they wore looking for microscopic blood in the urine and possible infection, mine was caused by yeast infections from diabetes wish you all the best.

Reactions: Lynnie, Diprs2, AttilaThePun and 1 other person
I am going to do the sample one last time. Cleaning the area and then using wipes, if they call me again to say it’s contaminated then I will be really fed up.

I really don’t cope with this GP Practice their communications are poor, even more so with autistic people. The lack of information is appalling. I tried to register with a new GP and they don’t want me as a patient because I’ve got online issues with my currant GP practice but I’ve tried for two years to resolve the issues with my currant GP, they are mainly legal issues surrounding my personal data and if it doesn’t end up with the Information commissioner, it will end up in court, meanwhile I’m still no closer to knowing what’s causing my issues and also my tummy pain.

When I eat I get nauseous, I always have indigestion and when I eat the food hurts going down. It’s been on going for a long time, they tried me on gluten free, dairy free etc. I also have issues with leaking from my bottom 🫤

• Sad
Reactions: BABYTIGERCUB, Jorelaxed, AttilaThePun and 1 other person
babyraggydolls said:
I am going to do the sample one last time. Cleaning the area and then using wipes, if they call me again to say it’s contaminated then I will be really fed up.

I really don’t cope with this GP Practice their communications are poor, even more so with autistic people. The lack of information is appalling. I tried to register with a new GP and they don’t want me as a patient because I’ve got online issues with my currant GP practice but I’ve tried for two years to resolve the issues with my currant GP, they are mainly legal issues surrounding my personal data and if it doesn’t end up with the Information commissioner, it will end up in court, meanwhile I’m still no closer to knowing what’s causing my issues and also my tummy pain.

When I eat I get nauseous, I always have indigestion and when I eat the food hurts going down. It’s been on going for a long time, they tried me on gluten free, dairy free etc. I also have issues with leaking from my bottom 🫤
I'm not sure if you've been doing this already, but:

If you aren't allergic to Betadine (povidone iodine) or benzalkonium chloride, each of these are usually available as a small packet containing a wipe. If you clean the area around your urinary opening with either of these, then pee a little into the toilet, then stop OR put the sample container into the urine stream, it'll be a "midstream clean catch" urine sample and less likely to be contaminated. If your bottom has been leaking while you've collected your samples, that can be a source of contamination and your doctor needs to know this in case the sample needs to be obtained by catheter.
Otherwise, you might need to stuff a wad of toilet tissue between your buttocks in a crucial spot while you collect your urine sample at home.

I hope you can get your issues with your GP sorted out soon, and the issues with your tummy resolved sooner rather than later.

By the way, if you ever wake up from sleep with acid or stomach contents in your mouth or throat, be sure your doctor knows - you might have esophagitis from gastric reflux, it can cause indigestion, nausea, and painful swallowing. There are medications for this, but elevating the head of your bed 2 or 3 inches using wood, or even hardcover books on a trial basis, can help keep stomach acid from coming up into the esophagus.

Sorry to be so long-winded, just trying to be as helpful as possible. Good luck!

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
Sorry to hear that they are giving you the run-around Babbyraggydolls, are you able to somehow change doctor or person requesting stool sample, if they are not giving you results.
When you do clean down there, try using wipes with out chemical cleaners, ph neutral wipes should help you obtain a clean sample.

Another week passes and another sample contaminated (this is a bit of an update)
I put in a complaint to the NHS trust and they phoned me while I was out grocery shopping and they told me that the doctors should have told me why it was contaminated and how to prevent it. They gave me a number to call for assistance in making a complaint against the doctors.

She said you got to make sure you catch the pee mid stream and ask for a sterile bowl.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and AttilaThePun
Hi babyraggdolls,

I‘m not sure what went wrong with your tests - but it might be maybe a better idea to invest in a pack of combur sticks and do the test by yourself:

The test comes also detailed description how to do the test. Basicaly it‘s colleting the midstream urine in a glass, dip the stick into it for a couple of seconds and read the result after a minute. You can take also a photo of the stick and mail it to your doc in case of quastions.

Normally the doc do nothing else (exept of some special cases where need a dedicated lab if you’re looking for MRSA)

Last edited:
Reactions: PadPhilosopher and AttilaThePun
Back