Urology appointment getting closer

lilshelly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
As my urodynamics test gets closer. The more I am trying to figure out what could be the cause of my problem. I am embarrassed to have to do this test. Which is the reason I will sit here and try to analyze it myself.
I have Cerebral Palsy which while that can be a contributing factor.(one of the reasons the doctor wants to run the test.) I don't see that as being an issue. Having had lived with this disability for my whole life. I have never had issues in the past. I figured that when I was unable to walk and wheelchair bound ok I could understand.
There are just things about this that I don't understand. I can feel like I have to go. Not run to the bathroom but feel like I need to go. I will go to the bathroom and not go much at all. If I feel said need but wait, my bladder fills up more. Then there are instances where I have gone to the bathroom emptied my bladder. Then put on a fresh diaper and five minutes later wet the diaper.
One example tonight. I got out of my diaper for the night and immediately sat on the toilet. I did go but not much.
I don't wear diapers all the time which makes it hard for me to understand what is going on. I don't want to have them do this test and write me off as a nut case. I am very confused and afraid.

I think the last thing they'll do is tell you you're a 'nutcase'.
There can be many causes for these kind of problems, mentally, and physically.
I've had some problems myself in the past, but that was because of overactive pelvic floor muscles. That really was the last thing on my mind :)

Hopefully the procedure will clear things up for you.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and Edgewater
No reason to be afraid! Keep in mind that your urologist is not your judge who gives you permission to wear diapers or forbids it or is god-like deciding what happens to you! Every doc is for me only a (hopefully very qualified) expert adviser for health issues. He/she has to find out and explain my situation, give me treatment options, explaining pros and cons, but the only one who decides what happens to me and what I do is simply one person: myself.

So, you can do whatever feels best for you, you are not in the hand of your doc, he only has to give you qualified advice so that you are able to decide what happens and what not!

• Love
Reactions: AttilaThePun and Edgewater
When I first saw the urologist. He was very matter of fact. He arranged various tests which were done by the nurses. Then I was refered to the continence nurse for practical help in managing my problem.

Reactions: Edgewater
I too have a urology appointment coming up. Interested to see what the cause of my pmd could be.

I got a scare when I had my last procedure appointment. The nurse asked all the usual questions including the surprising one "are you in for a TURP?" "Ah... no!" I said. I was just getting an incision to widen a stricture (with a catheter for a few days after). Else I would have came out of there more IC than I am already.

• Wow
Reactions: Edgewater
@lilshelly , At your appointment explain what you are having issues with, just as stated in your post.

Reactions: lilshelly and Edgewater
try not to create a worse case scenario in your head on how your appointment will go. don't over think it. your body and how it functions changes especially as you get older. explain what you are experiencing and let the doctor check thing out. engage with your doctor ask questions make sure you have a clear understanding of what your doctor's thoughts are. it may help to have someone go with you as support and a second pair of ears to listen to what your doctor says.

Back