Unsustainable Diaper Prices (Question for Diaper Suppliers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iam32bit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
All diapers are getting unsustainably expensive. As someone who is Incontinent, we really need a bill that forces Diaper coverage with Private and Medicare. I shouldn't have to drop $200+ a month for something that allows me to live my life. What blows my mind is they will cover a medication that cost double, but won't cover diapers. In my mind a medication is the same as a diaper, it doesn't cure anything just allows for management of one's condition.

Mybetriq = $437 a month
Vessicare = $378 a month
Tovias = $369 a month

Botox injections = $617 a dose

NorthShore Suppreme = $127 for 45, if 3 diapers a day would need 90 diapers which would be $254.

If Medical Diapers from Northshore, BetterDry and XPMedical were covered by insurance, I would be a happy gal

@NorthShoreAdam are there any attempts at lobbing for Insurance Coverage? It seems like something we know is needed, but only Medicaid (Insurance for below poverty) covers them. HSAs and FSAs don't solve the problem as the financial burden is still on the patient for the full amount. Imagine a world where we pay $30 a month for Diapers via Copays. This would help most Medically Incontinent people. I know for myself it would allow me to not ration my diapers and use them more often instead of being chained to the restroom.

My doctor has offered to write a prescription for diapers after I tried multiple medications with minimal improvement. However that prescription is meaningless without Insurance Companies covering them.

• Love
Reactions: Demonbabywearspamps, Eclectic, Fleetwoodmac32192 and 8 others
I agree, diapers medical and abdl alike are getting pretty pricey!, I feel your pain i am32bit, I forcibly have to buy them monthly due to my medical injury.🙁

• Love
Reactions: PaddedRita
There is likely little to gain for manufacturers to lobby the government for coverage. If Medicare (elderly and disabled insurance) began covering incontinence supplies they would likely tell Northshore that they would need to take ~$150 for the supplies you calculated to cost $254 for 30 days and that NS would need to write the other $104 off at a loss if they wanted to have their supplies paid for by Medicare. It may not be that drastic but it would still be a significant discount.

A better idea is to reach out to your House of Representatives rep for your district and ask them to support Medicare covering incontinence supplies. Even if you don't have Medicare and won't qualify for several more decades it is still worthwhile because commercial plans tend to follow Medicare's lead on determining coverage.

Reactions: MamaInHerPajamas, EcoIncon and newt
I had some thoughts on this as well, my insurance will pay Botox injections for me (about 1000Euro) every six month, they will/have to pay for catheters as well in this time, about 4-6 pcs a day, round about 600 Euro a month, but they will only pay 18 Euro a month for diapers.

Reactions: EcoIncon
It's really incredible that insurance companies want to make us believe that with 18 Euro a month a reasonable, complete supply with incontinence products is thinkable! Even with that, the contract suppliers still try to make additional money with the system.
I contacted - with the prescription of my doc - some contract suppliers. They sent me several sample products according my incontinence level - one with 0,- additional charge, other, (better) ones with additional charges.
The free of charge ones were crappy No-Name diapers, lasting max. 2 hours for me, feeling already damp with the first drops - so for sure nothing I could ever wear in long term for my active, daily life. And, magically, the extra charges I would have to pay for the really good (medical) products at the contract provider (with using the prescription of my doc, paid from my insurance company), were even higher as if I buy - exactly the same medical product - without prescription at the cheapest, but reliable online shop. So I skip the whole, complicated process and buy my supplies simply by myself, just with making a short online search for the cheapest supplier before ordering, and all in all I pay not more than with the complete procedure of prescription - contract supplier - insurance company - additional charges.

Reactions: MamaInHerPajamas, Pino, LordDuque and 3 others
hbic60 said:
It's really incredible that insurance companies want to make us believe that with 18 Euro a month a reasonable, complete supply with incontinence products is thinkable! Even with that, the contract suppliers still try to make additional money with the system.
I contacted - with the prescription of my doc - some contract suppliers. They sent me several sample products according my incontinence level - one with 0,- additional charge, other, (better) ones with additional charges.
The free of charge ones were crappy No-Name diapers, lasting max. 2 hours for me, feeling already damp with the first drops - so for sure nothing I could ever wear in long term for my active, daily life. And, magically, the extra charges I would have to pay for the really good (medical) products at the contract provider (with using the prescription of my doc, paid from my insurance company), were even higher as if I buy - exactly the same medical product - without prescription at the cheapest, but reliable online shop. So I skip the whole, complicated process and buy my supplies simply by myself, just with making a short online search for the cheapest supplier before ordering, and all in all I pay not more than with the complete procedure of prescription - contract supplier - insurance company - additional charges.
100%. This is the same reason why I bite the bullet and pay way more than what I technically need to do to manage incontinence. Very strictly speaking, a drug store brand "cloth" backed brief is all I "need" at any given time, at least according to their claimed capacity rating. But when I factor in comfort beyond pure function - like you say, avoiding the feeling of dampness from a few drops - and also avoiding the cheap tapes that barely work, it takes me into another level of cost.

Reactions: MamaInHerPajamas, EcoIncon, Subtlerustle and 1 other person
i think it comes down to the pharmaceutical industry has better lobbying than diaper manufacturers
trillion dollar industry makes a lot of rules.
Up here in Canada doctors have to do everything possible medically (medicine / surgery etc) and after all that it's a long uphill road to get partial diaper coverage.
The logic of meds being more expensive doesn't seem to bother many around here unfortunately. Many people rather do the medicine / surgery route than diapers anyway as the diaper stigma is alive & well

Reactions: MamaInHerPajamas, Neroforte, Eclectic and 2 others
SparkyDog said:
i think it comes down to the pharmaceutical industry has better lobbying than diaper manufacturers
Up here in Canada doctors have to do everything possible medically (medicine / surgery etc) and after all that it's a long uphill road to get partial diaper coverage.
The logic of meds being more expensive doesn't seem to bother many around here unfortunately. Many people rather do the medicine / surgery route than diapers anyway as the diaper stigma is alive & well
I'm new to everything but if meds can fix me and get me out of diapers I would take it. But everything I read says that at best meds can help manage IC but not fix it completely and comes with some pretty nasty side effects.

I'm pretty concerned about surgery as that can cause other complications and isn't guaranteed to be 100% successful. Never really liked the idea of going under the knife.

Since the original question was about cost, has anyone ever done a cost comparison between cloth and disposable that actually accounts for the water/detergent/electricity to wash and dry diapers on a regular basis? I've been thinking about maybe using them at home but worried that an increase in the electric bill and the hassle of storing and cleaning wet cloth diapers isn't worth a slight cost savings.

SparkyDog said:
I remember my GP and I having that conversation. He said he could prescribe something that would mitigate the issue, but given the side effects, and given that I "seemed to be doing ok with using pullups" (including paying for them), he recommended that I simply stay the course as it was the best choice for my health and quality of life.

Reactions: MamaInHerPajamas
HalMidLife said:
I remember my GP and I having that conversation. He said he could prescribe something that would mitigate the issue, but given the side effects, and given that I "seemed to be doing ok with using pullups" (including paying for them), he recommended that I simply stay the course as it was the best choice for my health and quality of life.
did you have coverage for diapers before this meeting?

SparkyDog said:
did you have coverage for diapers before this meeting?
No, nothing. I had been wearing pullups - my own decision - for about two months. He said he wished more of his male patients were like me: less stubborn and use the products they need. I actually was stubborn for a good while until I got tired of feeling wet and realizing I literally smelled bad.

Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192
I hear of people using HSA accounts of their insurance covers it. Is this really a thing? I don’t have an HSA and am not incontinent unless you count pad use for pmd.

Subtlerustle said:
I hear of people using HSA accounts of their insurance covers it. Is this really a thing? I don’t have an HSA and am not incontinent unless you count pad use for pmd.
That is how I buy mine, bit you are still paying for them yourself. The money is just pretax so you don't pay income tax on those dollars.

iam32bit said:
All diapers are getting unsustainably expensive. As someone who is Incontinent, we really need a bill that forces Diaper coverage with Private and Medicare. I shouldn't have to drop $200+ a month for something that allows me to live my life. What blows my mind is they will cover a medication that cost double, but won't cover diapers. In my mind a medication is the same as a diaper, it doesn't cure anything just allows for management of one's condition.

Mybetriq = $437 a month
Vessicare = $378 a month
Tovias = $369 a month

Botox injections = $617 a dose

NorthShore Suppreme = $127 for 45, if 3 diapers a day would need 90 diapers which would be $254.

If Medical Diapers from Northshore, BetterDry and XPMedical were covered by insurance, I would be a happy gal

@NorthShoreAdam are there any attempts at lobbing for Insurance Coverage? It seems like something we know is needed, but only Medicaid (Insurance for below poverty) covers them. HSAs and FSAs don't solve the problem as the financial burden is still on the patient for the full amount. Imagine a world where we pay $30 a month for Diapers via Copays. This would help most Medically Incontinent people. I know for myself it would allow me to not ration my diapers and use them more often instead of being chained to the restroom.

My doctor has offered to write a prescription for diapers after I tried multiple medications with minimal improvement. However that prescription is meaningless without Insurance Companies covering them.
My doctor writes a script for them and then I just submit them myself to Humana (Medicare). Otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford it either let alone washing clothes all the time that also costs us money...

Reactions: MamaInHerPajamas and PaddedRita
HalMidLife said:
100%. This is the same reason why I bite the bullet and pay way more than what I technically need to do to manage incontinence. Very strictly speaking, a drug store brand "cloth" backed brief is all I "need" at any given time, at least according to their claimed capacity rating. But when I factor in comfort beyond pure function - like you say, avoiding the feeling of dampness from a few drops - and also avoiding the cheap tapes that barely work, it takes me into another level of cost.
Yeah... I'd hate to have to live with diapers that my insurance company tells me are "Good enough" for me.

Reactions: MamaInHerPajamas and newt
HalMidLife said:
No, nothing. I had been wearing pullups - my own decision - for about two months. He said he wished more of his male patients were like me: less stubborn and use the products they need. I actually was stubborn for a good while until I got tired of feeling wet and realizing I literally smelled bad.
Sounds like a good doctor
mine isn't pro diaper

I had to pay for my diapers for 20 years but thanks to FINALLY "winning my war" (my medical records *MAGICALLY* vanished after collapsing with a 106 fever + spending roughly 10 days hospitalized) with the Army/VA and after 3 years of only being able to receive products in the VA's formulary I FINALLY am being provided Megamax although I asked for Betterdry. I'm not complaining though. Megamax are awesome!

I'm still buying my own "daytime" diapers, but they don't cost anywhere near as much as a Megamax or even the Betterdry as I'm looking to get 3-4 hours RELIABLY from them and then change as they indeed start to fall apart when active. I truly NEVER want to live through what I experienced when these issues were "new to me" way back in 2004....I was convinced that EVERYONE who could see me would INSTANTLY KNOW I was diapered, so I opted for the "most discreet" diapers available. Yeah, you know what happened! I was out food shopping, by myself as I had spent close to a full month in the hospital and NEEDED to get out for ANY REASON. Regardless, I'm 75% complete with my shopping when I had a catastrophic diaper failure. My pants were DRENCHED, DRIPPING WET with a lake at my feet! There were maybe 4-6 other people in the aisle near me and I left everything where it stood and as fast as a guy who needed a walker (or something else to help support me, AKA shopping cart) possibly can "run" to my van and I became a recluse for most of a year, missing out on everything I should had been able to enjoy. The only times I was out of the house were for Dr appts or when I was hospitalized (well over 200 days in '04-'05 alone).

Today I wear what I have confidence in! If someone is able to tell I'm wearing, good for them! I do however always inspect myself before going ANYWHERE to ensure I'm not "broadcasting" my issues to everyone. I mean, what difference does it make when ALL of your family, friends and countless medical professionals are well aware of ALL of the issues you live with?

If someone were to recognize this and tried to embarrass me or break my balls they'd regret doing so,, one way or another. Honestly WHAT can ANYONE say or do that can possibly hurt you if you need to wear? Nothing I can think of, truthfully. Plus there's always the "young Cpt Kirk" alive in my mind when I was physically and mentally THE guy no one in their right mind wanted a problem with. I admit, I'd probably have my ass handed to me today but still, couldn't back down. Just not me. I probably won't even fight back and allow whoever it is to be arrested and worse. I figure that would be incredibly effective....although as I stated countless times before...NO ONE CARES and 99.9% of people today are glued to their phones continually and wouldn't spot a $100 bill lying on a floor!

Reactions: EcoIncon, LordDuque and newt
CptKirk said:
I had to pay for my diapers for 20 years but thanks to FINALLY "winning my war" (my medical records *MAGICALLY* vanished after collapsing with a 106 fever + spending roughly 10 days hospitalized) with the Army/VA and after 3 years of only being able to receive products in the VA's formulary I FINALLY am being provided Megamax although I asked for Betterdry. I'm not complaining though. Megamax are awesome!

I'm still buying my own "daytime" diapers, but they don't cost anywhere near as much as a Megamax or even the Betterdry as I'm looking to get 3-4 hours RELIABLY from them and then change as they indeed start to fall apart when active. I truly NEVER want to live through what I experienced when these issues were "new to me" way back in 2004....I was convinced that EVERYONE who could see me would INSTANTLY KNOW I was diapered, so I opted for the "most discreet" diapers available. Yeah, you know what happened! I was out food shopping, by myself as I had spent close to a full month in the hospital and NEEDED to get out for ANY REASON. Regardless, I'm 75% complete with my shopping when I had a catastrophic diaper failure. My pants were DRENCHED, DRIPPING WET with a lake at my feet! There were maybe 4-6 other people in the aisle near me and I left everything where it stood and as fast as a guy who needed a walker (or something else to help support me, AKA shopping cart) possibly can "run" to my van and I became a recluse for most of a year, missing out on everything I should had been able to enjoy. The only times I was out of the house were for Dr appts or when I was hospitalized (well over 200 days in '04-'05 alone).

Today I wear what I have confidence in! If someone is able to tell I'm wearing, good for them! I do however always inspect myself before going ANYWHERE to ensure I'm not "broadcasting" my issues to everyone. I mean, what difference does it make when ALL of your family, friends and countless medical professionals are well aware of ALL of the issues you live with?

If someone were to recognize this and tried to embarrass me or break my balls they'd regret doing so,, one way or another. Honestly WHAT can ANYONE say or do that can possibly hurt you if you need to wear? Nothing I can think of, truthfully. Plus there's always the "young Cpt Kirk" alive in my mind when I was physically and mentally THE guy no one in their right mind wanted a problem with. I admit, I'd probably have my ass handed to me today but still, couldn't back down. Just not me. I probably won't even fight back and allow whoever it is to be arrested and worse. I figure that would be incredibly effective....although as I stated countless times before...NO ONE CARES and 99.9% of people today are glued to their phones continually and wouldn't spot a $100 bill lying on a floor!
You went through hell but came out the other side better. You should be proud!

You prove General Patton was right when he said “I don’t measure a man’s success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom.”

Fighting incontinence is hard enough as it is. But having to fight the VA, health problems, and those flimsy diapers while doing it is another level of struggle. I’m glad you won

• Love
Reactions: EcoIncon, LordDuque, Subtlerustle and 1 other person
It sucks that I am stuck having to wear the cheapest "shit diapers" frfom WALMART or RITE AID.

• Sad
Reactions: EcoIncon
newt said:
You went through hell but came out the other side better. You should be proud!

You prove General Patton was right when he said “I don’t measure a man’s success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom.”

Fighting incontinence is hard enough as it is. But having to fight the VA, health problems, and those flimsy diapers while doing it is another level of struggle. I’m glad you won
Thank you!

I also did that while STRUGGLING TO SURVIVE on SSDI, which ironically enough, was $48.00/month TOO MUCH INCOME to qualify for Medicaid, food stamps, healthcare etc. I asked them to reduce my payment by $48.01 and got laughed at as "that's not how it works"!

Perhaps the WORST of this was my marriage ending just as fast as my old life died. NEVER would have envisioned just how shallow, conceited, narcissistic, and downright fucking EVIL my not yet EX turned out to be! The INSTANT the incredible money stopped and the build began to have extra pounds added (gained 40lbs in the 1st 3 months, was up as much as 80 but have been hanging between 35-50lbs over what I used to weigh) everything between us changed. Prior to this, we were literally like rabbits! Three, 4, 5 times a day was NORMAL! Never had a single intimate moment together again after Jan 18, 2004 which is when I woke up with a 106 fever physically incapable of moving! Coming home from a 5 week hospital stay to find that I no longer slept in the same room but now slept in the basement INFURIATED me to no end. I stayed though as women ALWAYS get custody of the kids and I would not be among the living today IF I couldn't be there to raise my kids (and do everything possible with & for them) so I suffered, but I was ALWAYS a part of my sons' lives!

I also had to sell the business I spent most of my life helping to build and that still hurts. Not a thing I could do about it though. IF I would had been receiving VA disability I would had been able to keep the garage but that didn't happen until 5+ years after I sold. I still attend schools/classes/seminars though as I'm as obsessed with the automotive/truck/equipment industry as much now as I was when I was 10 or so and started working on lawn mowers (self taught) to make a few bucks here and there. I do still command top dollar as well, making no less than $60/hour (CASH ONLY!) but averaging closer to $90/hour and as much as $150/hour though that's VERY RARE. I'm without a doubt within the top 1/2 of 1% of the best mechanics/technicians on the planet and I am proud of that. Too bad my body won't cooperate as much as I'd like it to!

I admit, I'm surprised I came through the "other side" to be 100% honest! I was originally convinced I'd be dead well before 40 as no one had a clue WTF was happening to my body as I went from being amongst the strongest men on Earth, in incredible shape, excellent health with every goal I had set for myself YEARS before either met or more likely FAR exceeded to SHIT in a flash! I've also PRAYED to drop dead more times than I can count too, but no one listens or if they do, refuse to act on my wish!

Your comment helps! The past few months have been "tough" for me, and that honestly isn't even scratching the surface of a description on how rough it has been of late.

Anyway, I appreciate the response!

Kirk

Last edited:
Reactions: EcoIncon, LordDuque, Subtlerustle and 1 other person
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back