Uncomfortable nocturnal issue ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

weethepeople

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
For those of us that frequently suffer from Enuresis how many of you have had bouts of urinary scalding /nappy rash and how do you handle it ? First up as you'd guess I do have this happen to me at times . It comes out of nowhere too more often than not but with careful handling usually clears up quickly ..

About seven years ago I had to have a work related general health assessment done. During the genital part/rear end part the doctor (older female) noted inflammation rash that was healing but still there that day and she noted on my file my bladder control records. She didn't say much except suggesting I keep an eye on it if it persists too long . I ended up discussing it with my continence advisor (nurse ) once too and she talked with me about the ointments and steroid creams I'd used and anti bacterial measures and such .

No medical practitioner over the years I have consulted with has ever mentioned to me having a clean shaved pubic area to help drying thoroughly the scalding irritating the skin but online I have seen it mentioned . I have big doubts it matters because pre pubescent children still have nappy rash without pubic hair being an issue ..Does anybody here believe otherwise ? It'd be interesting to know .. Thanks all ...Cheers..

Reactions: Diprs2
I think you first have to distinguish what kind of skin irritation you are talking about. You are talking about skin irritation from urine and diaper rash. The first is caused by ammonia and the second mostly by yeast.

Skin irritation from urine can always occur if you don't change often enough - especially if you use reusable products because the ammonia builds up faster.

Fungal infections are often caused by a defective acid mantle of the skin. This can be destroyed (besides a late change) e.g. by washing with bad soaps or also by too frequent washing.

Hair plays only a minor role in all these causes. In principle, shaving offers some advantages in cleaning - especially if you are also affected by fecal incontinence. However, it is also the case that shaving can cause new problems, because it increases the risk of hair roots being inflamed by the irritation.

Reactions: Pino, weethepeople, Jorelaxed and 2 others
When I started reading this I thought yesterday a well ,
Get your self a tube of athletes foot cream like Canisten and use , my rash cleared up in a week and never seen again

• Wow
Reactions: Jorelaxed
Sudocrem for my barrier cream everytime and bepanthaneum cream if I get symptoms
If sore or red in groins and little red spots then I try canister cream and then sudocrem barrier over the top
Also I change my terry nappy more often

Lots of Vaseline or Desitin or Sudocrem or whatever works for you. Things that are good for lil kiddos are good for big kiddos, even if you're not into ABDL stuff 🤪

I have been double incontinent for years and wear diapers 24/7. I have been very successful at avoiding diaper dermatitis (diaper rash). Here is what I do.

Air out the diaper area daily. I do this for about an hour. Try sitting on an absorbent pad or an open diaper, just in case.

Have a hand mirror on hand for self-inspection. This will help to identify pre-rash irritation before a real rash sets in.

Wash at every diaper change. Do not scrub the irritated skin. Rather, just gently pat it dry. Note that soap can be irritating to sensitive irritated areas. You may wish to use it only once a day when you shower.

Then apply a barrier cream. Almost any barrier can help. Coconut oil is a good light barrier and is inexpensive. Desitin is a thicker barrier. Other brands also are good - it often is just a matter of preference. The very thick barriers are mostly for fecal incontinence.

Consider wearing a breathable diaper until rash symptoms improve.

If you do not see improvement within a week please see your physician.

Reactions: Teddy02, hbic60 and Diprs2
I use Johnsons Baby Lotion at each change and it does seem to help prevent any skin rashes. It also helps neutralise the urine smell. If I get a bad nappy rash then I too use Sudocreme or Bepanthen but they do seem to affect the elastic in the leak guards.

I'm only bladder incontinent, but have to wear 24/7. I never shaved down there and have a lot of hair (much more than on m head :) ). I do not use any cream or powder and had never any problem with skin irritation or rashes.
I drink a reasonable amount of water during the day, so my urine is mostly clear and not concentrated in any way. Second thing, with every change I'm washing, with PH-neutral soap, and drying completely - as well with a towel as also using sometimes a hairdryer (of course in low heat setting...). And, last not least, I'm only using high quality CF diapers, so although diapered my skin still has a chance to breath!

Of course first thing you have to do is getting rid of your current nappy rash - and then try carefully what others told you in this thread!

I've been in diapers for nearly 29 years and never had serious diaper rash. The first sense of things not being right I switch to a light cloth-like diaper that forces me to change often. I use aloe vera wipes to blot the skin during a change and reapply Desitin. I will shower only once a day (I always use a natural soap) and then wear cotton boxer briefs and sit on a bed pad for 2 hours to let the skin air out. The heat is always gone within 24-36 hours.

I have never shaved down there, but I do trim with scissors now, not because of diapers, but because of a shortened and retracting penis due to prostate removal. Not comfortable when hair gets caught and pulled in - ouch. TMI, sorry.

Reactions: Diprs2 and jdinvirginia
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back