BubbaBoy95

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Other
Hey everyone!

Was just wondering who else on here is into Railways! I'm a Little (AB) from Sussex and would like to expand my friendship's with both Railways and AB.

If anyone else is on here from the UK, drop me a message on the post and (Post-Lockdown) would love to organize something

M

Reactions: SAPexpanded and perlFerret
You folks in Britain have a lot more passenger rail travel it seems than we do here, especially where I live in the midwestern United States. When I was about 12 mom took me on a rail trip for my birthday before as they were becoming nearly non existent. Amtrak has some nice trips yet, especially throughout the mountain ranges, but as far as routine rail travel it’s pretty rare anywhere apart from the east coast. Are your passenger trains very crowded? Stay padded, I’ll bet those rail workers from the old days wished that passenger were wearing, from what I understand the toilets dropped right on the rail bed in the old days!

Reactions: perlFerret and BubbaBoy95
I think because of Thomas The Tank Engine (Thomas and Friends is too woke IMO) there are a good amount of UK recreational nappy-wearers into steam trains ...for the other side of lockdown (not just UK lockdown 2 but flat-out post-vaccine (hopefully in the Spring)) I've already seen the steam railway in Tenterden (?) Kent and the steam line in Loughborough suggested as places for a meet-up.
-
GISW

Last edited:
BubbaBoy95 said:
Hey everyone!

Was just wondering who else on here is into Railways! I'm a Little (AB) from Sussex and would like to expand my friendship's with both Railways and AB.

If anyone else is on here from the UK, drop me a message on the post and (Post-Lockdown) would love to organize something

M
You're either from South London or Sussex! 😉
The capital's closest mainline steam line is at Princess Risborough.
-
GISW

Last edited:
Reactions: SAPexpanded
Hi @BubbaBoy95!

I had a certain fondness for train travel! I'm more interested in the history of the lines themselves rather than the locomotives or rolling stock, but I've always enjoyed my visits to heritage railways, and I can't deny that there is something about the smell of a steam engine that I like!

In general, I prefer to get around by train whenever possible, and I find it very relaxing. My parents tell me that I was very 'into' trains when I was a small child. I don't really remember, but there's a photo of a trip to the West Somerset Railway which apparently sparked my interest. It's a photo where my nappy is clearly visible, so it's evocative for two reasons. :)

Reactions: BubbaBoy95
My daddy/fiancee lives in the UK and LOVES trains :D!

Reactions: BubbaBoy95
I had a model train layout when I was very young and an H.O. layout when in high school. I had it set up as a married adult until we needed the room....sigh. I remember when I was very young we only had one car so when my mom needed the car, she would drive my dad to and from work. There was a railroad station adjacent to his work and while we waited for him to leave work, I'd watch the freight trains come and go. Many of them were steam engines and they almost all had cabooses. The steam age was wonderful. This was in the 1950s.

Reactions: BubbaBoy95 and abrich
dogboy said:
I had a model train layout when I was very young and an H.O. layout when in high school. I had it set up as a married adult until we needed the room....sigh. I remember when I was very young we only had one car so when my mom needed the car, she would drive my dad to and from work. There was a railroad station adjacent to his work and while we waited for him to leave work, I'd watch the freight trains come and go. Many of them were steam engines and they almost all had cabooses. The steam age was wonderful. This was in the 1950s.
I had a model railway when I was younger too, and if I had the time and space I'd probably get something set-up again. That being said, I do enjoy the Brio wooden railway, and that would be easy to set-up and store.

It sounds like you have some lovely memories there! I never knew the steam age, but I still find rail travel very evocative.

Reactions: dogboy
I'm ex-pilot. Mostly used cz machines, but I know one version of Italian ETR 470.

Actually completely out of this stuff.

GO3SBOTHWAY5 said:
-
GISW
Haha i recently moved to Sussex and havent updated my profile yet :p

GO3SBOTHWAY5 said:
I think because of Thomas The Tank Engine (Thomas and Friends is too woke IMO) there are a good amount of UK recreational nappy-wearers into steam trains ...for the other side of lockdown (not just UK lockdown 2 but flat-out post-vaccine (hopefully in the Spring)) I've already seen the steam railway in Tenterden (?) Kent and the steam line in Loughborough suggested as places for a meet-up.
-
GISW
I work on a heritage railway down where I live :p i yet to visit either of those railways yet but would like to have a go at both :)

abrich said:
Hi @BubbaBoy95!

I had a certain fondness for train travel! I'm more interested in the history of the lines themselves rather than the locomotives or rolling stock, but I've always enjoyed my visits to heritage railways, and I can't deny that there is something about the smell of a steam engine that I like!

In general, I prefer to get around by train whenever possible, and I find it very relaxing. My parents tell me that I was very 'into' trains when I was a small child. I don't really remember, but there's a photo of a trip to the West Somerset Railway which apparently sparked my interest. It's a photo where my nappy is clearly visible, so it's evocative for two reasons. :)
I could probably tell you the type of engine AND the type of nappy! Lol!

I’m very fond of steam trains.

By American standards I think the UK would seem like a small island that’s just packed with railways. You’re never very far from one.

Until the 1960s nearly every small village in the UK was served with a railway line and a station. There was a big closure programme of underused lines back then, almost at the same time as steam trains were got rid of, but many of the lines were taken over by enthusiasts and reopened as steam operated heritage railways.

They operate most weekends and often daily during the summer. Again, you’re rarely far from one in the UK.

Reactions: SAPexpanded and abrich
Well, as one can see, trains and railways are an integral part of british experience.

Our 'village' was only referred to in such a french manner after the railway yards occupying the low part of the village were pulled up; prior to that, we were a fully fledged English town, and photos from the first half of the twentieth century show as much. In fact, it's hard to recognize it as the same place.
After the cull, we were left with two tracks serving a greater circuit which covered east and south lancs. Eventually, the second track was pulled up, leaving us with a limited reach. Of course, by that point, the internal combustion engine was the prince of the day and pandered to accordingly.
Nowadays, the train-track is given over to the nasty tram, transporting it's scum about and born of similarly scummy folk who purposely ran the local areas into the ground in order to gain funding from national and eu bodies, and pocketing cash in the process.....not that I'm biased.

The next village down (which is geographically north, but topographically down, but still sounds paradoxical) has the transpennine line.
The neat thing about that line is that it highlights the heights; that is, the express train to scumchester flies down, largely under gravity, whilst the trains from scumchester labour their way uphill.

Back when we still had the working line, the freight trains used to rumble through, mostly at night, and, as our house is on a hillside overlooking-but-not-with-sight of the tracks, I used to mark the end of my day by the sound of the rumbling wagons.

My dad used to be a fireman 😁
For the kids, that's not what it sounds like: a fireman on a steam engine tends the fire, both in what it burns and what it's burned.
My grandad (mum's dad) was also a stoker (more or less another name for fireman) on ships and then mills (after WW2 submarine service, which must've seemed like paradise) and I've often wondered if my dad and my grandad having similar work helped soften the blow to my mum's mum for mum having married a Protestant?

Last edited:
PCS said:
I could probably tell you the type of engine AND the type of nappy! Lol!
Lol!:ROFLMAO: I'll see if I can dig up the photo, although if memory servers, I think I was in a terry nappy that day!

GO3SBOTHWAY5 said:
-
GISW
Epping to Onger is closer I think 😊

Reactions: chrischrischris
I am what the railroad crews call a "Foamer"; That is a model railroader that stand by the tracks and foam at the mouth when the see 12 in to the foot scale trains. I have railroad memorabilia in my china cabinet and Had an HO gauge layout b.m. (Before Marriage). My then Fiance, took my layout down one day, she was like a cruise director helping you off the ship "thank you for your service, don't expect to ever come back!" I stil talk about getting my trains out of the attic and setting up a layout some day, s o o n , m a y b e .

Reactions: perlFerret and SAPexpanded
SAPexpanded said:
Epping to Onger is closer I think 😊
The Princess Risborough line has regular steam though, I know they made some claim about closeness to The Capital.
-
GISW

GO3SBOTHWAY5 said:
The Princess Risborough line has regular steam though, I know they made some claim about closeness to The Capital.
-
GISW
There are certainly several that can be reached by direct train from the capital, only a change of platform necessary for the steam line:

Mid Hants Railway (SWR from Waterloo to Alton)

Chinnor & Princes Risborough (Chiltern Railways from Marylebone to PR)

Bluebell Railway (Southern Railway from Victoria to East Grinstead)

Cholsey & Wallingford (GWR Paddington to Oxford stopper)

Didcot Railway Centre (many GWR services ex-Paddington to Didcot)

Paignton & Dartmouth (GWR Paddington to Paignton).

Severn Valley Railway (Chiltern Railways Marylebone to Kidderminster).

Also, do LNER serve Keighley by direct train from London at all? I remember GNER used to. If so, you can add the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway.

There may be more, come to think of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SAPexpanded
There are others that can be reached direct from the capital in theory but have no direct services to an interchange eg the West Somerset Railway where a physical rail connection exists but annoyingly you have to get a bus from Taunton to Bishops Lydeard to pick up the steam train to Minehead.

Last edited:
The advertising boards of these lines just like putting possible facts in the flyers I suppose!
-
GISW

Back