"Trusting" your Diapers

pugglesmuggles

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hello- I just wanted to know if anyone else has gone through this little psychological development. My b/s: I'm male/31, mostly UIC, and wear diapers 24/7 to manage it, and I've been this way for about 3 years since starting to lose bladder control over that time. I also went through several steps of protection, from finally admitting I needed to wear something (started with Depend underwear), to realizing that wasn't enough (tried a few brands and settled on Abena M-4's), to now with Abena's new Slip rebrand, I've settled on Northshore's MegaMax diapers.
Anyway, for the longest time, even though I was protected, I was terrified of leaks (I still am nervous about them) and just didn't really "trust" that my diaper would hold it, especially when sitting. In the office, if I pee while seated, I get that terror-sweat thing going and am afraid some will have leaked out. It's gotten a lot better- actually, since I started wearing the MegaMax diapers, I've got a lot of my old confidence back. But the nervous feeling is still there- I wonder if it ever actually goes away?
Earlier on in my UIC journey I would change my diaper after every wetting, anxious about leaks. When I started wearing the Abena M-4's, I convinced myself to push changes back to after 2 wettings, just to not have to change so often (it takes time!! Plus, I was carrying a lot of diapers with me which took up space).
Now, with the plastic-backed MegaMax diapers, on a typical day I travel outside the house with only 2 spare diapers and supplies in my backpack. But it took me a long time to get to that point, and I'm still nervous about leaks. I have told myself that at basically $4.50 a pop, I need to wait for 3 wettings before changing my diapers now. When I do they don't feel like they're at capacity at all, but I just can't bring myself to push it any further.

What are your thoughts on trusting your diapers?

pugglesmuggles said:
Hello- I just wanted to know if anyone else has gone through this little psychological development. My b/s: I'm male/31, mostly UIC, and wear diapers 24/7 to manage it, and I've been this way for about 3 years since starting to lose bladder control over that time. I also went through several steps of protection, from finally admitting I needed to wear something (started with Depend underwear), to realizing that wasn't enough (tried a few brands and settled on Abena M-4's), to now with Abena's new Slip rebrand, I've settled on Northshore's MegaMax diapers.
Anyway, for the longest time, even though I was protected, I was terrified of leaks (I still am nervous about them) and just didn't really "trust" that my diaper would hold it, especially when sitting. In the office, if I pee while seated, I get that terror-sweat thing going and am afraid some will have leaked out. It's gotten a lot better- actually, since I started wearing the MegaMax diapers, I've got a lot of my old confidence back. But the nervous feeling is still there- I wonder if it ever actually goes away?
Earlier on in my UIC journey I would change my diaper after every wetting, anxious about leaks. When I started wearing the Abena M-4's, I convinced myself to push changes back to after 2 wettings, just to not have to change so often (it takes time!! Plus, I was carrying a lot of diapers with me which took up space).
Now, with the plastic-backed MegaMax diapers, on a typical day I travel outside the house with only 2 spare diapers and supplies in my backpack. But it took me a long time to get to that point, and I'm still nervous about leaks. I have told myself that at basically $4.50 a pop, I need to wait for 3 wettings before changing my diapers now. When I do they don't feel like they're at capacity at all, but I just can't bring myself to push it any further.

What are your thoughts on trusting your diapers?
You are not alone, Puggles. Learning to trust your diapers is a big issue for many of us and the anxiety increases when the concern is staying dry in public (as opposed to bed). To my knowledge you have found the two most absorbent diapers on the market but others may have additional suggestions. I don't know of anything that you could be doing in addition to what you are doing now. Hopefully others will.

Maybe do a practice run one day spent at home, and see for yourself how much your diapers will hold before leaking. This will help you understand their capacity when you go out

Reactions: Pee75250, Jonnythepony, AJFan2020 and 1 other person
Whenever I change to a different brand of diapers, I will test the new brand out for a week before I leave home in a different diaper brand. Luckily, I haven’t had to try different brands in the last 5 years because I found a brand that really works for me.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and Deleted member 74558
BoyPawz said:
Maybe do a practice run one day spent at home, and see for yourself how much your diapers will hold before leaking. This will help you understand their capacity when you go out
Being able to do this is important because if you don’t trust the diaper you might actually be more likely to leak. This can happen because urinating into a disposable diaper too slowly can cause the urine to run along the fluid-repelling top sheet and out the leg openings long before the product truly reaches capacity. I find that avoiding this issue involves urinating into the diaper at least medium speed.

Reactions: Deleted member 74558 and Rusher
I just started to wear the Megamax brand full time. I battled bladder issues went to depends meds etc. it can be scary having leaks. While only using Mega’s a short time my bladder output is very heavy at night. No leaking so far. During the day I do try to keep a steady flow when I need to go. It hits at times so suddenly that you can’t always do this.

I’ve read post of massive amounts in the Mega’s without leaks. I would even though they are more expensive do a test so you know for your own body. Since we all all different. I am sure more will add to this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: AttilaThePun
loves megamax.. day i wear betterdry 7 and night crinkles, which is betterdry 10 with pictures... and learn to trust is a thing yes.. buut since wearing 24/7 and late changes at home did learn me. last weekend mommy put me in double crinkles and double soakers... resulted in very wet diaper in the mornings.. like both soaked, so they sure hold a lot.

I think you'll eventually get there. It all takes time to truly trust your diapers. But what I can tell you is, unless you're absolutely flooding the Megamax in those 3 wettings, which isn't usually an issue with IC, then you can go considerably longer with a Megamax before it leaks.

I do agree with the others who said to test at home. I also always do that. I will usually go until it leaks to see how far it can go. Also will see how they bulge with different clothes. Once you get a feel for them, like how many wettings they can go, it will make everything much easier.

When my problems first started I was very similar to you. I wore as thin as humanly possible and changed before I needed to. After a while, I switched to megamax for same reasons as you. It felt better knowing it would never leak, even if it overkill. The stress from worrying about leaks was worse than the stress of hiding the megamax, so it made sense. I know I can completely trust it, which is great for stress and anxiety.

Of course, lately I have been going with the Megamax AirLock Lites. I feel like I can trust them as much, though I will have to change a bit more often. But it is nice to not wear something as think and better for the Miami humidity and not worry about the usual cloth-backed issues.

megamax airlockes is like tena with cloth backing ? don't like those, but would switch from betterdry to megamax if a thinner day diaper is available.

Back