Transcontinental Flight

perlFerret

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
My mate and I are going to Japan (from the US) for our ninth anniversary this October. The longest flight I've done so far has been 9 hours and I did not need to change because I wore diapers that could hold that much pee, but this is a 13 hour flight (each way), so I WILL need to change at least once during it. We'll be on a 787-900 both ways, which should have the larger handicapped restroom available. I don't need assistance changing so that's not an issue, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me?

1. I do have an autism spectrum disorder, so I can use that as a reason that I need to wear a diaper (the real reason is that my mate told me that she does NOT want to put up with my anxiety on a 13 hour flight and diapers really keep that in check).
2. I plan to explain the situation to the airline before the trip (autism and diapers) and make sure that I'd be allowed the use of the larger restroom, despite it likely not being in my cabin (flying Economy+, not first class)
3. Do you think they'd let me bring my backpack into the restroom with me? I'd rather not just carry a diaper to the restroom.
4. I'm assuming that the larger restroom has a larger trash receptacle?

Any other concerns / thoughts?

perlFerret said:
My mate and I are going to Japan (from the US) for our ninth anniversary this October. The longest flight I've done so far has been 9 hours and I did not need to change because I wore diapers that could hold that much pee, but this is a 13 hour flight (each way), so I WILL need to change at least once during it. We'll be on a 787-900 both ways, which should have the larger handicapped restroom available. I don't need assistance changing so that's not an issue, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me?

1. I do have an autism spectrum disorder, so I can use that as a reason that I need to wear a diaper (the real reason is that my mate told me that she does NOT want to put up with my anxiety on a 13 hour flight and diapers really keep that in check).
2. I plan to explain the situation to the airline before the trip (autism and diapers) and make sure that I'd be allowed the use of the larger restroom, despite it likely not being in my cabin (flying Economy+, not first class)
3. Do you think they'd let me bring my backpack into the restroom with me? I'd rather not just carry a diaper to the restroom.
4. I'm assuming that the larger restroom has a larger trash receptacle?

Any other concerns / thoughts?
i travel quite a bit and i am always diapered while traveling. the stress and anxiety associated with travel will cause me to wet heavier than normal. i have never changed on board a flight. if worried you might want to try a premium diaper with a booster added inside to see how long it may last. my wife will change me shortly before boarding so that there is a higher chance of being dry starting out. i think it is a good idea to let the airline know of your special needs. they should not have an issue with you taking a bag into the plane restroom. what i do just in case is place two diapers inside a small draw string bag inside my backpack that way all i have to take with me is the small draw string bag. i also carry a plastic bag to wrap up the used diaper and place that back into the draw string bag to dispose of the sue diaper after the flight. the trash disposal on the plane inside the restroom can be limited. arrive early at the airport so that you have plenty of time to reduce stress. a friend because he notifies the airplane of his special needs gets to check diapers with his other luggage at no charge. the airline will do their best to help as part of customer service but also the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). it never hurts to ask for assistance. have a great trip. by the way i am also on the autism spectrum. planning and plenty of time helps a lot.

Reactions: ILuvDiapers, CptKirk, LiddleBigBoy and 1 other person
I have flown from the US to Japan (and other trans-oceanic flights to Asia and Europe) before and was almost always diapered. Last month I had a 14 hour flight to Asia. Prior to departure and while still in the terminal, I changed into a Trest. Once airborne and prior to trying to get some sleep, I went to the on-board lavatory and changed out of my wet diaper and into a dry and boosted Trest. Many passengers will go to the restroom to change into pajamas for such a long flight. It is common for them to bring a small bag with them into the lav.

On a 787 there is often a larger lav in between first/business and economy plus (same with 777) but that will vary by carrier and configuration of the aircraft.

I do not think you need to notify the airline or request permission of any sort. It will be easy for you to change your diaper mid-flight. I would not be anxious about it. Last month when I was on that 14 hour flight, I just carried my diaper, booster, and a toothbrush into the bathroom—no bag of any sort (other than a plastic one to dispose of the used diaper). It was dark and no one was paying any attention. It simply was not an issue at all.

Enjoy your travels!

Reactions: perlFerret, Subtlerustle, Joeysms and 3 others
I fly to Asia and Europe from the US frequently...in fact, in London at the moment after just flying in from the States...thickly diapered in a Rearz Critter Caboose, of course. If you can wear a thick diaper with a booster or 2 so you don't have to change, that would make things easier, of course. But still, depending on the airline, there should be at least 1 larger restroom, even in Economy. They don't necessarily have larger trash bins, but I still generally am able to squeeze my rolled up diaper into the trash bin when I must change on the plane.

Reactions: perlFerret, Joeysms, ILuvDiapers and 1 other person
Totally with @Pampersmademe on this. Hundreds of transoceanic flights under my belt… with a diaper under my belt too. Just throw a diaper and wipes in your toiletry kit. While you’re in the lavatory brushing your teeth, change your diaper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joeysms, ILuvDiapers and CptKirk
Same as others have said, it’s not a problem at all! Only thing, some bathrooms are small so it can be a bit tight, but even so, never a problem making a change.

I would recommend wearing a onesie under your clothes… I didn’t on our first flight to Europe, I woke up at one point to my shirt riding up and the flap of my dip sticking straight out, fully visible to all waking by. I never fly, even in the states, without a onesie any more!

• Wow
Reactions: ILuvDiapers
I flew from the UK to Australia non stop 16hrs 45min flight with my boyfriend for a 10 day holiday recently. I'm autistic and incontinent, I changed just before the flight, and twice on the flight. My boyfriend who just wears for comfort, also bordered the flight diapered, and changed once.

We never encountered any problems whatsoever, other than being totally washed out after such a long flight. Don't know how flight attendants do that flight regularly? I did inform the airline in advance i was permanently urinary incontinent, and would be diapered throughout the flight. I think the Airline informed the security teams i would be carrying diapers in my hand luggage in advance, as they appeared to have been made aware of this when we went through passport control prior to boarding the aircraft. so neither of us experienced any embarrassing checks.

It's not compulsory to inform the airline in advance, but i don't think it harms to do so. Ultimately that's a decision for you to make? Have a great trip, and I hope you both enjoy Japan. (y):)

Last edited:
Reactions: perlFerret
Back