TPU material - what is it?

sambus

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I've found a Dutch (Netherlands) online shop that seems to be partly medical and partly ABDL called IMWW imww.nl . They sell waterproofs pants made of TPU among other types. Is this some kind of coated nylon like Kleinerts Duralite?

The
sambus said:
I've found a Dutch (Netherlands) online shop that seems to be partly medical and partly ABDL called IMWW imww.nl . They sell waterproofs pants made of TPU among other types. Is this some kind of coated nylon like Kleinerts Duralite?

Thermoplastic Polyurethane.

It is a plastic that is used on almost everything these days from cell phones to hand tools. It's a big fancy name for plastic. Thermoplastic Polyurethane is the full name if TPU.

TPU is a slightly bendable soft plastic (hardness varies per blend), but generally they’re between hard plastic and softer materials such as silicone. Cell phone cases tend to use it as it can absorb shocks but won’t degrade too easily.

that said, I don’t know how that would fit into plastic pants (I’d think they’d be a bit stiff).

Reactions: Paddy2020
eastcoastdl said:
that said, I don’t know how that would fit into plastic pants (I’d think they’d be a bit stiff).
Conveniently, I'm an engineer who works with TPU all the time. :) (Very different application, though--unfortunately!) Like PVC, it's not a single thing, and comes in many formats. Some of those are soft, conformal sheet materials, almost indistinguishable from the PVC/Vinyl sheet materials commonly used to make plastic pants. Put another way: If you've used other plastic pants, TPU pants probably don't have many surprises in store for you. TPU is often described as being a more durable material, but there are so many factors involved in the durability of a final product that I wouldn't assume TPU pants are necessarily better.

sambus said:
Is this some kind of coated nylon like Kleinerts Duralite?
I doubt it, although there are TPU-coated nylon materials out there. I suspect these pants are like the common PVC/Vinyl ones in terms of look and feel. That said, TPU-coated materials are commonly used for diaper covers. When the TPU is laminated onto polyester fabric, you get PUL (PolyUrethane Laminate), a super common material in the world of cloth baby diapers. If they were talking about PUL, though, I expect they'd have said "PUL" and not "TPU."

Try 'em and give us a review! :)

EDIT: Didn't notice you'd put the website in your post. I looked. Seems like they have a few varieties, including some water-clear pants that look extremely wrinkly, though I expect these still have a very soft feel and don't crinkle. (Probably they were wadded up really badly when packed.) Some of the other products talk about "TPU backed" cloth diapers, although it's a little unclear what that means. They do also mention PUL, so I guess "TPU backed" is just a solid-color TPU sheet sewn over the diaper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Belarin, eastcoastdl and Paddy2020
I ordered a pair of White plastic pants from Cuddlz...it was described as TPU material. It a thin shiny crinkly plastic similar to PEVA plastic pants but again thinner. Its very strong considering it being kind of thin. If you like crinkle they are more than less in crinkle department.

MikeDJ said:
I ordered a pair of White plastic pants from Cuddlz...it was described as TPU material. It a thin shiny crinkly plastic similar to PEVA plastic pants but again thinner. Its very strong considering it being kind of thin. If you like crinkle they are more than less in crinkle department.
The website photos look very similar.

Some bad photoshopping, though 🤭

I have a pair of TPU pants I got from Cuddlz a few years ago and they are awesome. They were sold as the stretchy pants, and boy are they stretchy. I ordered size XL and they're about the size of my protex large pants, but they stretch with the dip as it gets bigger. They're not really "poofy" like pvc pants can get, as the material sort of sags instead of being stiff. They're incredibly thin, very soft and surprisingly loud. The best way I can describe the feel of the material would be "Swishy".

Reactions: binkyb
I was given some TPU pants from the Kirk St. Moritz site.The film doesn't seem particularly thin, probably 4 mil. They are very crackly...I won't even wear them to go out and get the mail.

Cottontail said:
Conveniently, I'm an engineer who works with TPU all the time. :) (Very different application, though--unfortunately!) Like PVC, it's not a single thing, and comes in many formats. Some of those are soft, conformal sheet materials, almost indistinguishable from the PVC/Vinyl sheet materials commonly used to make plastic pants. Put another way: If you've used other plastic pants, TPU pants probably don't have many surprises in store for you. TPU is often described as being a more durable material, but there are so many factors involved in the durability of a final product that I wouldn't assume TPU pants are necessarily better.

I doubt it, although there are TPU-coated nylon materials out there. I suspect these pants are like the common PVC/Vinyl ones in terms of look and feel. That said, TPU-coated materials are commonly used for diaper covers. When the TPU is laminated onto polyester fabric, you get PUL (PolyUrethane Laminate), a super common material in the world of cloth baby diapers. If they were talking about PUL, though, I expect they'd have said "PUL" and not "TPU."

Try 'em and give us a review! :)

EDIT: Didn't notice you'd put the website in your post. I looked. Seems like they have a few varieties, including some water-clear pants that look extremely wrinkly, though I expect these still have a very soft feel and don't crinkle. (Probably they were wadded up really badly when packed.) Some of the other products talk about "TPU backed" cloth diapers, although it's a little unclear what that means. They do also mention PUL, so I guess "TPU backed" is just a solid-color TPU sheet sewn over the diaper.

A perfect description, I have however seen some places that probably don't really understand the difference selling PUL and listing them as TPU pants.

tpu seams a good alterative to pvc which get hard and perishes

Back