Toys R Us Super Toddler Diapers

XLdiapers

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Does anyone remember the Toys R Us Extra Large diaper called Super Toddler? These were from around 1987-1989. Does anyone have any packages or loose diapers?

Attachments

• 1987_ToysRUs_Super_T.jpg
    1987_ToysRUs_Super_T.jpg
    871.2 KB · Views: 221
  • Love
Reactions: BoysandBoyz12A, Deleted member 56273 and BobbiSueEllen
Looks like it may be similar to the Pathmark you posted about. I got hold of a bag of some with similar packaging in the late 90's. No idea where from. Honestly they were awful. Designed more like an adult diaper and just couldn't hold up to their own SAP capacity. They worked great as doublers in my Tena Supers though.

-edit-

Noticed those are fan fold diapers. The packaging does look similar to the ones I purchased. What was inside my package was more like the Pathmark diaper. Might have been from the same manufacturer/supplier. Would be interesting if they were. And if they were how long the SuperToddler thing lasted.

Last edited:
Late on this topic, but here is a scan of an old advertisement from the late 80's.

toysRus-supertoddler.jpg

Blue Biggle

• Love
Reactions: LittleCollector96, XLdiapers, BobbiSueEllen and 1 other person
Now that’s interesting.

Why would the XL toddler size be fanfold while the other sizes are all form-fitting?

Oh man I thought I was done collecting vintage diapers. Would love to find some of these.

Reactions: Deleted member 56273, BobbiSueEllen and theancientmariner
PCS said:
Now that’s interesting.

Why would the XL toddler size be fanfold while the other sizes are all form-fitting?
That's something that I've thought about a little. Perhaps the machines for fanfold diapers were better at making a wider range of sizes than the machines for hourglass shape diapers. Fanfold diapers seem like they would be easier to cut and assemble due to the rectangular shape, so making adjustments for larger sizes would not require a lot of expensive retooling or adjustments.

Pampers from that time would specify a large size as being something like over 23 lbs. or 20 to 35 lbs. The Toys R Us package says 'for 27 lbs. & over', 'fits up to 24" waist', and '1/3 larger than a regular toddler.'

Blue Biggle

Reactions: Deleted member 56273 and BobbiSueEllen
I remember these days . I had worked there as a teen and the diaper aisle was loaded with tons of thick plastic diapers and the Toys r Us brand were no exception.

Reactions: Angelapinks, BobbiSueEllen and (deleted member)
MikeDJ said:
I remember these days . I had worked there as a teen and the diaper aisle was loaded with tons of thick plastic diapers and the Toys r Us brand were no exception.
How many times you buy some after work lol. I wouldn't have been able to resist

Reactions: Angelapinks
I've been trying to find a diaper called "especially for baby" that was sold at toys-r-us during the mid to late 90's
it had muppet babies on the front tapes. I have an early memory associated with them, and finding the empty box in the attic confirmed it (no longer have it) I just want to find images of them.

Reactions: LittleCollector96
Diaperedlife13 said:
How many times you buy some after work lol. I wouldn't have been able to resist
I did actually think of that . I was a teenager and was sort of embarrassed going up to the register buying a big bag of diapers but I so wanted to.! I did eventually muster up enough courage to buy a whole bunch of packs of Gerber plastic pants. They still had the popular type plastic Gerbers on the rack in 90 still. So I bought several pairs and sewed together two pairs to make 1 nice big one so I could wear it. I still though wished I got some of those thick toddler diapers packs.

Reactions: Angelapinks, BoysandBoyz12A and (deleted member)
BlueBiggle said:
Late on this topic, but here is a scan of an old advertisement from the late 80's.

View attachment 119650

Blue Biggle
Hi. Do you happen to have any original flyers or advertisements with the Super Toddler diaper that you would be willing to sell or trade? Does anyone have a package of these or the other Supermarket Brands with "Super Toddler" size they would be willing to sell or trade? Would love to get one of these for my collection. I am sure they are super hard to find as I never found any available in the past 20 years or so. I collect Vintage 1980s and 1990s diaper advertising, store signage, packaging, packages, etc.

BlueBiggle said:

View attachment 119650

Blue Biggle
Wow I worked in Toys R Us way back when. I loved that big diaper aisle. These certainly were stacked in the aisle! That aisle was something diaper bags stacked to the ceiling, that wonderful babyish diaper aroma. They were all those thick plastic white diapers I love nowadays. I wish there were some replicas made today of those. Diaper aisles today are just not the same.

Back