To bring to therapist or to not?

Harut said:
So the title is pretty self explanatory. I have currently started going to therapy about 2 months ago and have worked with her very hard to grow a relationship and repore with her. We have talked through anxiety depression and all kinds of issues and how to use coping skills to work through them. Should I bring up that me being a Dl and that being a comfort to me and so on and so forth is beneficial or should I just let it lay. And if so how do I go about bringing it up? Thank you. And as always stay padded!
Yes, any good therapist will be supportive and helpful to this situation

Reactions: TigerDL, Harut and Edgewater
Harut said:
So just wanted to give an update since I started this thread and many have commented and liked it. Went and started our session like we always do and then the therapist did something different. She asked that I talk for a bit to start of. About whatever I wanted. I told her that what I was going to talk about was very secretive and less than 5 people knew. I asked if she knew about ABDL and at first she stated she didn’t know but once I explained what the acronym stood for she understood well. She was very receptive, supportive, encouraging, and kind about it all. She asked questions and I answered the best I could. She asked that I give her till next session for her to do some more specific research. I told her about doctor rhoada and she knew her work well and I gave her the name of the book I used for me and my wife. Overall I feel like a weight has been lifted off my chest. Like I can breath and be who I am especially in therapy. There are no more secrets and that is a relief. Hope this helps someone else if they are ever in the same shoes.
Good on you!! You have opened a door the will service you well as you move forward in life!!

Aby said:
Yes, any good therapist will be supportive and helpful to this situation
She was all of this! Thank you!

Reactions: Aby and Edgewater
Edgewater said:
Good on you!! You have opened a door the will service you well as you move forward in life!!
Thank you for your support in this. Your words of encouragement helped me face the fear and own it’s I’m glad I did. Thank you.

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater
Harut said:
So just wanted to give an update since I started this thread and many have commented and liked it. Went and started our session like we always do and then the therapist did something different. She asked that I talk for a bit to start of. About whatever I wanted. I told her that what I was going to talk about was very secretive and less than 5 people knew. I asked if she knew about ABDL and at first she stated she didn’t know but once I explained what the acronym stood for she understood well. She was very receptive, supportive, encouraging, and kind about it all. She asked questions and I answered the best I could. She asked that I give her till next session for her to do some more specific research. I told her about doctor rhoada and she knew her work well and I gave her the name of the book I used for me and my wife. Overall I feel like a weight has been lifted off my chest. Like I can breath and be who I am especially in therapy. There are no more secrets and that is a relief. Hope this helps someone else if they are ever in the same shoes.
I am so happy to hear you had the courage to open up and that your therapist was so open and receptive. Even better to hear that she was willing to educate herself on the topic. Glad you feel more comfortable and relaxed with yourself.

Reactions: Harut and Edgewater
Jamison86 said:
I am so happy to hear you had the courage to open up and that your therapist was so open and receptive. Even better to hear that she was willing to educate herself on the topic. Glad you feel more comfortable and relaxed with yourself.
Thank you. Me to. It’s a relief almost to just be honest with one myself but two to my therapist who is helping me improve my life.

Reactions: TeeMousy, Aby, Edgewater and 1 other person
Therapists only care if it is something you find harmful and want to stop. If it not pathological, they just tell you to enjoy it and don’t worrry.

Reactions: Edgewater and Harut
Back