Thought.

CPDude

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
Is calling when you wet or mess your islet an accident the right term when you wear 24/7 and never use a toilet?

Reactions: Diprs2
I call it an accident since I don’t intentionally pee or poop myself. I am totally bladder and bowel incontinent and can’t control when or where I wet or mess my diaper.

Reactions: Diprs2, ParaRomeo and Belarin
in·con·ti·nence
noun
lack of voluntary control over urination or defecation: causes of urinary incontinence.

An accident is the rare occurrence that happens to someone who is continent. What I experience is incontinence, not an accident. That's the reason I tend to use medically acceptable terms such as dribble, void, defecate, bowel movement, bodily function, etc. Dribble tends to be associated with incontinence. The rest are continence/incontinence neutral terms.

Reactions: Diprs2, ParaRomeo, Pino and 2 others
CPDude said:
Is calling when you wet or mess your islet an accident the right term when you wear 24/7 and never use a toilet?
Most people call it that

I'm with Tundra and Cheshirecat here, if you do it on purpose and knowingly it is not an accident and if it happens through incontinence it's not really an accident as it is an expected event.

If you are normally full continent and end up peeing/soiling a nappy or pants unexpectedly and uncontrollably then it is an accident though It could be argued that if you are continent and choose to wear a diaper knowing that at some point you'll use it then it is always expected thus not an accident but there is still the "uncontrollable" part.

CPDude said:
Yes, you can still say, "oops," even when you prepare for it with protection.

That's how I interpret your question. Do I have it right? Stupid Dragon!

Remember telling me about getting into your wheelchair from your car, and having a bowel moment without warning, before you could even get seated? Without a doubt, there are more convenient places and times for bowel movements, therefore, oops.

You can call it an accident.
CheshireCat said:
in·con·ti·nence
noun
lack of voluntary control over urination or defecation: causes of urinary incontinence.

An accident is the rare occurrence that happens to someone who is continent. What I experience is incontinence, not an accident. That's the reason I tend to use medically acceptable terms such as dribble, void, defecate, bowel movement, bodily function, etc. Dribble tends to be associated with incontinence. The rest are continence/incontinence neutral terms.
He knows! That cerebral palsy hangs on.

I would call them accidents, but I can make it to the toilet most of the time depending on the day and situation . And sometimes it happens without warning. and then there are the times I'm just lazy

CPDude said:
Well, i like the definition of @CheshireCat. I do still call my unwanted voiding an accident, because i do have some control left, still my condition "Neurogenic Bladder - Terminal Detrusor Dysfunction" is called incontinence for sure. This condition means, as long as i go to the toilet before reaching the maximum capacity (250ml in my case) i will be able to control it and loose control really fast when reaching the 250ml (round about).

I think it's fine to call wetting or popping in a diaper, or somewhere else that's not a toilet, whatever feels best for you. I don't think there are any established rules.

Back