Thinking of opening a store

shannara6767

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
So I am local to the Charlotte area and thinking of opening a storefront for diapers and AB/DL related items. Was wondering if there is anyone else that has any experience in this endeavor and if so willing to give a quick overview of what you went through getting things up and running.

Thanks

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
i can’t comment on what it takes to get up and running, but I did want to mention for you to pay attention to the zoning regulations for where you build it.

Bawe’d on the issues the both My Inner Baby & Little Kink Boutique have had over their zoning. Nothing worse than getting a business started only to be shutdown by the lo government….

Good luck with it if you do end up doing something like this.

Reactions: messydiaper, dogboy and PadPhilosopher
Zoning and city boards are one consideration, for certain. Here are some others.

A storefront costs money to have, usually thousands a month. If you're paying someone else to help you run it, that cost is even higher. You have to be able to make that in profit just to break even. Consumer goods is a highly competitive, cutthroat world, and you're competing with Amazon, whose economies of scale allow them to buy very low and keep their overhead per piece also extremely low, and you'll deal with endless whining about "I can buy that online for half this price," when you may hace actually paid more for it than that. In many cases it won't be the same thing they're seeing online, and yours will be better quality, but many people can't see past price, and in many cases it will be the same thing, but it's scAmazon, or someone selling out of their basement. The general economics are heavily against any new retail business surviving, and likely to get worse.

That said, the niche nature of what you're proposing to do has some advantages. You will have a small, but dedicated customer base who will seek you out; you won't have to do a ton of advertising--just what it takes so people can find you. They'll come from far and wide to see and touch products that otherwise they can only imagine from a picture. You won't be in competition with big box stores, as most of what you sell, they don't. If you're in an area with a large population in a moderate driving distance, it could work.

Location location location, of course. You probably don't want that highly visible location on that busy street corner. Not only will it be expensive, but you'll have greater pushback from The Powers, and ironically probably less traffic in the end because people feel like they're outing themselves. A cheap building in a quieter part of town is better, as long as it's not so cheap people fear for their safety.

Speak of outed, in many circles you will be labeled as a weirdo, or worse. There will be social consequences, but they won't all be bad. You'll meet a lot of likeminded people who will become good friends, and you'll probably have a lot of fun, if you can manage to keep the business challenges from driving you bananas.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't; you have to do what you believe is for the best. I hope I can help that decision be an informed one.

Reactions: Anemone and Sealander
If you are for reals about this you should contact the good people at My Inner Baby in Indiana and start a dialogue so you don't run into the problems they did.

Make sure it has a medical sounding name. Don't use abdl or anything related to our baby side. My inner baby only got shut down cause they called it an ab/dl store, which the city government said that its then consider a sex shop.

ItsyBitsyBabySara said:
Make sure it has a medical sounding name. Don't use abdl or anything related to our baby side. My inner baby only got shut down cause they called it an ab/dl store, which the city government said that its then consider a sex shop.

Alternatively just zone it as a sex shop and circumvent that vulnerability. Ultimately it doesn't matter what you say it is, only that it is correctly zoned in the view of the authorities, one might as well acquiesce to their inevitable conservatism.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
Back