Things that have surprised you?

padded1989

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
I have been starting to wear diaps a lot more lately, and am wondering what have been some things that have surprised you while embracing it more? Daytime use has mostly felt like a fun addition of more time in them for me.

Since began wearing and using every night surprised I less and less often wake for the bathroom.

Reactions: skylanderpamp
When I joined this community way back 20+ years ago, you had only medical diapers. Abena and Molicare were the high capacity diapers then. The Nuk 5 was the pacifier of choice and most people used modified baby bottles.

Now we have at least 5 major companies producing ABDL themed diapers and handfuls of smaller entities doing smaller runs too! I never thought that we'd get so far.

Reactions: espectro, jamiejamie and Sealander
How much better I sleep at night.
Whilst I always wake when needing a pee it’s easier to go back to sleep if I am able to just release without leaving the warm comfy bed to use the bathroom

• Love
Reactions: JoeMusic1976, Soggytyke11, littledub1955 and 1 other person
Speaking from an IC perspective, a few things have surprised me:

-the number of brands on the market (at first I thought there was 2 or maybe 3)
-that wearing protection is much less of a “thing” and also a lot less negative than I initially expected
-that I would develop a positive association between the feel of a diaper and being protected (in other words, that I would come to a point of actually liking wearing them)
-how expensive quality diapers are
-as odd as this will sound (and I know it will), I was a little surprised, at first, that ”adult diapers” are precisely that. For some crazy reason I thought they would be “diaper-ish” or “sort of like diapers”. Perhaps because I had seen adverts as a kid for “Depend undergarments“ with belts and such. But when I got that first bag of diapers and pulled one out, I remember saying to myself, “well ok then - these really are just big diapers”.

• Haha
Reactions: GoodnitesXL21, skylanderpamp, sinceiwassmall and 4 others
Also from an IC perspective, I've noted:
  • How quickly I got used to wearing protection when required. The incontinence means that I don't have to explain why, if it becomes discovered.
  • However, there can still be surprises! I can still vividly see the surprised little girl's face after she pounded me in my butt with both of her little fists in a fast food place. I am certain she was wondering why there was so much padding there. I was equally surprised why she felt that she needed to do that (did she think I was grandpa?)
  • What works and what doesn't work. I started out with some very absorbent pull-ups and quickly discovered how those can puff out the front so much.
  • How I have been able to adjust to wearing plastic (vinyl) pants when needed. At first I was sweltering in them. Over time, I've seemed to have adjusted, except for very hot summer days.
  • My own acceptance of the need to wear diapers.
  • My wife's general acceptance. I just need her to stop calling my plastic pants as "baby pants".

• Love
Reactions: skylanderpamp, padded1989 and littledub1955
Although I’ve denied any interest in the AB side of this kink, I AM surprised that I find myself being curious about baby/toddler diaper prints and styles. I’ve also rediscovered sucking my thumb. I have no recollection of wearing diapers as a child but surely I must have. I beginning to consider seeing a therapist as I’m suspecting some long suppressed emotions. I wonder if there are therapists who specialize in counseling ABDLs and as to how I would find one.

Reactions: littledub1955 and theancientmariner
For context: My wife's been accepting, but I don't wear diapers around her or our kids. I work from home though, so I spend most of my workdays diapered. Summer vacation is my downtime because I have family around me 24/7. In short, my "diaper season" is September through mid June, and then I spend a couple of months pretending to be a big kid.

The "surprise" (obvious in hindsight) is how quickly I become accustomed to wetting at the slightest sense of fullness. I pee a lot more frequently when I'm in diapers. Unfortunately, the further I get into my "diaper season," the less comfortable I am in underwear. I'll start to fixate on my inability to simply let go, even if I'm not particularly full, and trips to the bathroom become steadily more frequent. That's especially annoying at night, as I don't wear diapers to bed.

But then summer comes around, I'm mostly diaperless for a couple of months, and by September I'm fully potty-trained and ready to undo it again. :) I do feel a bit conflicted about it. Part of me wishes I could just wear diapers 24/7 and not go through these yearly transitions, but another part of me is glad for the excuse to recondition my bladder. Anyway... I generally view my time in diapers as positive, but it does have drawbacks.

Reactions: Sealander
padded1989 said:
I have been starting to wear diaps a lot more lately, and am wondering what have been some things that have surprised you while embracing it more? Daytime use has mostly felt like a fun addition of more time in them for me.
My friends not noticing

Reactions: chamberpot and CLPP
slimjiminy said:
However, there can still be surprises! I can still vividly see the surprised little girl's face after she pounded me in my butt with both of her little fists in a fast food place. I am certain she was wondering why there was so much padding there. I was equally surprised why she felt that she needed to do that (did she think I was grandpa?)
How old was she? Hopefully the little girl's parents were there to witness that and to tell her that is not okay.

Reactions: theancientmariner
I was surprised when it became so easy to use my diapers without thinking about it because when I first started wearing them, I could only go if I went to the bathroom and squatted down and even then I had to really focus and keep telling myself it wasn’t a bad thing to use my diapers. Now I can be talking to someone and just let it happen lol or sitting down on the couch, etc.

Reactions: KindaOlde and BlueFazeButDL
How much better your life is when you let go of shame.

Reactions: xkirke and KindaOlde
Subtlerustle said:
How much better your life is when you let go of shame.
You’re right, I’ve had a strong attraction to plastic pants as far back as I can remember. When I got into puberty I found a whole new use for them bringing on the sexual guilt to accompanying any guilt that I may have been getting from longing to wear “baby pants”. The one time that I included a cotton pullup diaper and a cotton prefold, in my AC Medical order for plastic pants, my experience with them was brief and they were the victims of a guilt purge cycle. Then when I became dual ic, and had to begin wearing 24/7, I had a medical reason to wear and within a year I noticed that the shame about wear plastic pants or diapers had diminished to where it’s seldom felt. I’m not totally against shame though as it’s kept me from making even a bigger fool of myself on several occasions throughout my life.

HalMidLife said:
-as odd as this will sound (and I know it will), I was a little surprised, at first, that ”adult diapers” are precisely that. For some crazy reason I thought they would be “diaper-ish” or “sort of like diapers”. Perhaps because I had seen adverts as a kid for “Depend undergarments“ with belts and such. But when I got that first bag of diapers and pulled one out, I remember saying to myself, “well ok then - these really are just big diapers”.

"Belted undergarments" were what I carried around with me to places like work, back in the day. Attends existed at the time, but the belted undergarments came in a gigantic package, vs the much smaller number of Attends you got in a package. It was a compromise that I needed to make, at the time. The belted ones were the things that I wore inside my underpants so that at least I had some sort of fighting chance of getting through the day without my butt or crotch becoming one big wet patch. I still had to do my best to get as much of my pee as I could into the urinal...

Something that has surprised me in getting used to wearing frequently/all the time is the real comfort of diapers, once you really are conditioned to them and used to the feeling of them.

Wetting just feels warm at a certain point. With a bit of wetness already in the diaper, a light wetting barely even changes anything. You start to really understand what a lot of the marketing hype around diapers means...with all the talk and verbiage around dryness, sometimes you really do feel dry and quite comfortable even in a well-used diaper.

• Love
Reactions: GoodnitesXL21, Soggytyke11 and (deleted member)
I was surprised of how comfy nappies can be and that I like wearing them to chill. I hadn't realized how much I like them before I started wearing them for the first time, I originally wanted them to go #2 only 😯

What surprises me the most is just how many people Diaper/Nappy lovers there are.
I have always known ic was potentially not that unusual from comments my parents made and an old lady who lived locally always had adult sized cloth Nappies out on the line although originally I thought they were just towels out to dry until one day there was a pair of Brown rubber pants on the line too !

ArgentBuffalo said:
Something that has surprised me in getting used to wearing frequently/all the time is the real comfort of diapers, once you really are conditioned to them and used to the feeling of them.
Although our reasoning is different (based on our profiles), I agree that I was surprised with how quickly the balance tipped from “this feels really odd, but I’m protected so it’s ok” to “I’m protected and I actually like how these feel to wear”. At this point in life, I really dislike times when I’m not able to wear a taped diaper and have to use a pull-up instead (sometimes I have to travel very light and can’t bring enough diapers for every day)

Back