The "pee dream" - who does not wet the bed but unintentionally during daytime?

Pino

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Usually these days i do sleep without protection, only bed cover, because i do wake up for urge very secure. Most times my pelvic floor will be cramped and it will take time to pee when reaching the toilet. No accidents for a longer time now.

Last night i had the "pee dream", very intense, when that happens i will have got a wet bed from it usually and last night it took really long to wake up.
I was surprised to find out i was still dry, instead of a wet bed i had a rock hard erection, and that is something that happens VERY rarely these days, my testosterone is very low (due to POTS). I think i was just lucky my body reacted this way.

My urologist and neurologist were very surprised when i told them i do not have accidents at night, only during daytime usually.

Are there others with OAB / NDO that have mostly no bedwetting, but problems during daytime?

I need to confess i had more problems when i drank more fluids in the evening, i am restricting now in the afternoon and try not to drink higher amounts after 18:00 or 6 p.m.

Reactions: ianwee, abcdef, EcoIncon and 1 other person
@Pino I needed to stay hydrated to avoid a lot of cervical issues consequently, it increases night time wetting. Yes, if I restrict fluids, it just lowers the probability of bed wetting but, it is a non-zero chance I would not. During the day, like you, I have no choice in the matter.

How has this been working for you? Do you find restricting at night affects your daily health issues?

I would rather have to wear diapers, wet the bed, and be pain free than not.

Reactions: EcoIncon and Pino
I’m am the other way I have nighttime accidents but not during the day, but because I sleep in diaper sometimes I dream that I’m peeing my diaper and wake up middle stream to it

Last edited:
Reactions: ianwee and craigd1341
Hi Pino,
for me it's the same. I rarely have nighttime accidents. The neurourologist had the hypothesesis that it have to do with the pressure on the spine - how ever I have an other suspect. My impression is that if my bladder is realy full it is not able anymore to build up such a high pressure.
When I straighten up, it usually goes off - presumably because this increases the pressure. If I reach for the bed bottle while lying down, it works 90% of the time. That I actually wet myself in my sleep and wake up from it happens maybe once a year. The 10% of cases where it goes wrong are due to the problem that I wasn't quick enough with the bed bottle or moved awkwardly.
During the day it's not really much different - the triggers are always movement - in particular getting up from a chair, walking, etc. except that the bladder isn't quite as full and the whole thing only rarely announces itself with abdominal pressure. Even if I feel abdominal pressure, I can't be sure whether it's the urge to urinate or the urge to defecate because I only feel the bladder indirectly via the abdominal pressure as long as it's not cramping.

daylight said:
How has this been working for you? Do you find restricting at night affects your daily health issues?

I would rather have to wear diapers, wet the bed, and be pain free than not.
I am O.K. with restricting most time, getting to low in the evening is not option as i will wake up not for the bladder but for thirst, happened for example last night. In the morning i need to drink some more, which has got an effect on my accidents when outside the house in the morning, the time between voids or cramps is down to 30 minutes than sometimes. That is to short for many occasions.

When drinking "normal" in the evening, or even more at parties, i will wake up to pee about three, four or more times a night, what is terrible.
The chance of wetting the bed increases either. My wife is not really happy about myself wearing at night when (obviously) not really necessary, i need to confess, when not for her, i would go diapered and use it perhaps, just to get more sleep.
The "bed-bottle" solution* does not really work for me, i tried ISC with a bag. which worked O.K., but when done with that i am as woken up as when using the toilet. No point in that for me.

*I will not (be able to) pee laying on my back, only when laying on my stomach, not matter while sleeping or fully awake.

• Sad
Reactions: EcoIncon
Pino said:
Usually these days i do sleep without protection, only bed cover, because i do wake up for urge very secure. Most times my pelvic floor will be cramped and it will take time to pee when reaching the toilet. No accidents for a longer time now.

Last night i had the "pee dream", very intense, when that happens i will have got a wet bed from it usually and last night it took really long to wake up.
I was surprised to find out i was still dry, instead of a wet bed i had a rock hard erection, and that is something that happens VERY rarely these days, my testosterone is very low (due to POTS). I think i was just lucky my body reacted this way.

My urologist and neurologist were very surprised when i told them i do not have accidents at night, only during daytime usually.

Are there others with OAB / NDO that have mostly no bedwetting, but problems during daytime?

I need to confess i had more problems when i drank more fluids in the evening, i am restricting now in the afternoon and try not to drink higher amounts after 18:00 or 6 p.m.
I have peeing dreams but I have never wet the bed.
My urge incontinence is confined to the day, the mornings being the 'busiest', especially if cold. I also have issues with getting up after being seated for a period of time or if I am in the vicinity of running water.
Some days I am barely bothered by issues; some days I barely reach the loo, leaking and spurting before ready.
I have cut out drinking coffee which I believe helps somewhat...(but not much).
There seems to be no pattern to my incontinence so I lurch from pullups to full daiper/plastic pants depending on my bladder's mood and my plans for the day.

Reactions: Pino and EcoIncon
Pino said:
My wife is not really happy about myself wearing at night when (obviously) not really necessary, i need to confess, when not for her, i would go diapered and use it perhaps, just to get more sleep.
@Pino I do think you need to discuss this with your wife. Years ago I would wake up to pee in the middle of the night at least 5 times a night (sometimes as many as 10). It was turning me into a zombie with no night where I would get more than a few minutes of deep/rem sleep. It was literally killing me. I trained myself to not fully wake (I think I even sometimes go now without waking at all) and just use a diaper and I actually get good sleep now. It has improved my health overall and even helped me with daytime continence somewhat. What difference does it make to wear a diaper to bed? No one but your wife sees it!

• Thinking
Reactions: Pino, hbic60 and daylight
@Pino thanks for the comments. I hope you find a balance. Sleep is important as @EcoIncon pointed out. If it is affecting you negatively, pop a message to your PCP for their input.

Pino said:
When drinking "normal" in the evening, or even more at parties, i will wake up to pee about three, four or more times a night, what is terrible.
The chance of wetting the bed increases either. My wife is not really happy about myself wearing at night when (obviously) not really necessary, i need to confess, when not for her, i would go diapered and use it perhaps, just to get more sleep.
3-4 times is terrible. The thing is that if there is real risk of wetting the bed then there's really no choice. You have to protect against the worst case, especially if you share the same bed. Your wife will not like a wet bed, guaranteed.

I have pee dreams and rare pooping dreams too. But I usually wake up dry after them, and never poopy. Now that I wear diapers to bed more often I wake up just enough to relieve myself. About 3 weeks ago I had a pee dream and woke up wet. It was my first full bladder void probably since childhood. Oh well. It’s what kids my age do! :)

EcoIncon said:
@Pino I do think you need to discuss this with your wife. Years ago I would wake up to pee in the middle of the night at least 5 times a night (sometimes as many as 10). It was turning me into a zombie with no night where I would get more than a few minutes of deep/rem sleep. It was literally killing me. I trained myself to not fully wake (I think I even sometimes go now without waking at all) and just use a diaper and I actually get good sleep now. It has improved my health overall and even helped me with daytime continence somewhat. What difference does it make to wear a diaper to bed? No one but your wife sees it!
For now it is O.K., the combination with some fluid restriction and the "salt-water" during the day is working so i only wake up one or two times a night, what is mostly O.K. for me. The next Botox injection may this push ever higher in success.

I just had two days with only 8 to 12 voids and about 3200ml intake, which is pretty good for me.

Like @Lethdale said, my urge incontinence is varying a lot either.

I talked about that with my wife already some time ago, when i had more problems at night. It is difficult.

Reactions: EcoIncon and Lethdale
Back