The Death Of Saturday Morning Cartoons

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't that it wasn't there in the 90's but it certainly wasn't as diagnosed as it is today.

Today nearly every kid I have met has either add or ADHD and as far as I can tell they're just normal kids. Kids are supposed to be hyper and when I was a kid it was normal for us to be outside after school until dark running that energy off.

Now, that's not nearly as normal. Either due to kids being so used to the overstimulation that telivision as video games provides them as thusly being unable to just be a kid and use their imagination or due to severely over protective parents who refuse to let their children out of their sight long enough to do anything.

I've babysat more than a few kids Who weren't used to the concept of being let outside to play on their own at all and to me that is just sad.

It Probobly does have a lot to do with the fact that kids aren't allowed to run it out an are expected to sit for way longer than any kid actually can an do boring crap. I wod get anxious and act out to.

Another issue I've noticed is if you lad up your kids with sugar, processed crap and caffeine they are going to react to those chemicals.

I hate seeing kids come into my resteraunt and sit down with a 32 ounce coke. That is so not healthy and it does not do their little bodies and brains any good.

I nannied for one kid who was diagnosed with ADHD and aspurgers and his doctor had him on three different pills including respiradone, a hardcore antipsychotic, he was 4 and on a. Drug they give schizophrenics and his dad had enough.
We changed his diet and took out all of the processed crap, got him hooked on water and got him outside playing instead of eating pizza pockets and watching tv all day.

He lost weight, his grades skyrocketed, his temper tantrums stopped and his concentration got so much better we were able to ween him off of the drugs and he did fine for a solid year.

His mom took back custody and stopped feedin him properly and threw him front if the tv again and all of his problems came back. Last I heard he was managing straight D's were he once had A's and his behavioral issues are back to the point where his school is fed up.

I'm not saying that ADD or aspurgers are fake or anything but I think they're over diagnosed. In this kid I don't think he had either disorder I think he was reacting to his environment in the way any nutritionally starved and overly stimulated child would.

It just makes me wonder how many kids out there aren't really sick but are actually just in the same situation he was. What happened with him leads me to belive that ADHD and aspurgers aren't as big of a problem as we think it is.

Some kids are truly sick and others just have parents who either don't have time or can't be bothered and instead of working at the roots throw a pill at it in hopes that it goes away.

Penny said:
It wasn't that it wasn't there in the 90's but it certainly wasn't as diagnosed as it is today.

Today nearly every kid I have met has either add or ADHD and as far as I can tell they're just normal kids. Kids are supposed to be hyper and when I was a kid it was normal for us to be outside after school until dark running that energy off.

Now, that's not nearly as normal. Either due to kids being so used to the overstimulation that telivision as video games provides them as thusly being unable to just be a kid and use their imagination or due to severely over protective parents who refuse to let their children out of their sight long enough to do anything.

I've babysat more than a few kids Who weren't used to the concept of being let outside to play on their own at all and to me that is just sad.

It Probobly does have a lot to do with the fact that kids aren't allowed to run it out an are expected to sit for way longer than any kid actually can an do boring crap. I wod get anxious and act out to.

Another issue I've noticed is if you lad up your kids with sugar, processed crap and caffeine they are going to react to those chemicals.

I hate seeing kids come into my resteraunt and sit down with a 32 ounce coke. That is so not healthy and it does not do their little bodies and brains any good.

I nannied for one kid who was diagnosed with ADHD and aspurgers and his doctor had him on three different pills including respiradone, a hardcore antipsychotic, he was 4 and on a. Drug they give schizophrenics and his dad had enough.
We changed his diet and took out all of the processed crap, got him hooked on water and got him outside playing instead of eating pizza pockets and watching tv all day.

He lost weight, his grades skyrocketed, his temper tantrums stopped and his concentration got so much better we were able to ween him off of the drugs and he did fine for a solid year.

His mom took back custody and stopped feedin him properly and threw him front if the tv again and all of his problems came back. Last I heard he was managing straight D's were he once had A's and his behavioral issues are back to the point where his school is fed up.

I'm not saying that ADD or aspurgers are fake or anything but I think they're over diagnosed. In this kid I don't think he had either disorder I think he was reacting to his environment in the way any nutritionally starved and overly stimulated child would.

It just makes me wonder how many kids out there aren't really sick but are actually just in the same situation he was. What happened with him leads me to belive that ADHD and aspurgers aren't as big of a problem as we think it is.

Some kids are truly sick and others just have parents who either don't have time or can't be bothered and instead of working at the roots throw a pill at it in hopes that it goes away.

I totally agree, there was a period in the 90's where I was falsely diagnosed with aspergers syndrome, it was entirely false and I was just doing things a normal kid did at my age, but my doctor at the time was honestly kinda dumb. Keep in mind, this was the 90's and not much info was known about aspergers, so I was basically treated like a very high functioning autistic child, it was hell. This was also in kindergarten so I would sometimes act out since I was 5, I Was talked down to and coaked out of my action, it was BS.

I'm at a loss to see how playing mindless freemium games is any better or worse than mindlessly watching cartoons for a whole morning. They are both equally ways by which kids fritter away free time doing whatever they enjoy, just tuned to different generational tastes.

I would bet parents 50 years ago complained about their kids watching cartoons all morning instead of going out and playing catch instead.

I am not even sure if I have true ADD but I know I had genuine problems because I was different than other kids. I still played outside, I did not sit in front of the TV all day long, I burned off energy, I ate right because my mom gave us good foods and wouldn't let us eat junk all the time. I went to different doctors and had different labels like language processing disorder, cluttering, dyspraxia, sensory processing disorder (it had another name then) suspected OCD, and anxiety was noted in 5th grade, and they noticed I had very bad social skills but no one knew what was wrong with me. I had all these labels and none of them seemed to work or explain everything. Then Asperger's was brought up and I was never treated like I was disabled. I was treated like me instead of the label.

I do believe doctors are too quick to jump to Asperger's/autism. Yeah some kids have delays but does that make them autistic? Symptoms overlap and it bugs me when everyone jumps to autism conclusion. I was irritated and annoyed when I was reading an article on Dr. Phil about their last episode about an out of control sweet 16 teen who is violent and abusive and has left tons of damage in her parents home and someone said in her comments about her possibly having ASD and I was like "God no, just no, that is so offensive to us, labeling someone that just because they are violent."

My son has some delays but he was never given a diagnoses. Not all doctors will label someone and will focus on what their issues are instead and work in those areas. My son does remind me of me in some ways as a child but I never thought he had anything. My husband thinks he has ADHD because he is like our ADHD nephew when he was little but I think that is too young to say because he is only four and aren't all toddlers hyperactive and rambunctious? They get bored easily but it does seem like other toddlers have no problems with waiting in lines and mine does. That is why I don't take him out much and I try to avoid lines. Then he gets his good days where he seems so fine and I think maybe he is normal after all. He even has a teacher that comes in every two weeks to work with him.

Firstly. One of my favourite memories was getting up on a Saturday morning and running down the hall all rugged up in my blanket to watch Saturday morning cartoons. (because there were no good cartoons during the week)

Personally, I think cartoons today are better designed than cartoons in the 70s. The amount of violence in Loony Toons is crazy. And it's pointless violence. It's violence for the sake of violence. It's violence that has the expectation that children will laugh at it. In modern cartoons there quite often is a meaning behind the violence. However, I say this but I have the view that there is too much violence in children's television. A viewer is more likely to experience death, either direct viewing or assumed death, in a Disney cartoon than in a movie by any other studio. Why can't there not be violence in a few well made children's shows? Take Frozen. The whole movie was AMAZING and it would have been amazing without a bad guy and violence. The battle against winter was a great idea for a conflict. My favourite kids movie is Ponyo because there is no violence and no bad guy. It's just a little boy and girl trying to solve a problem and it is very well written. (The kid also doesn't have to be a genius)

Now, onto yet another rant. I really have to stop this ranting business.

My pet hate. People who say kids today are more violent, misbehaved, uncaring, etc. They are not. In Australia, my generation (25-35 year olds) was the lowest volunteering group of people as teenagers and still are today. In short, my generation is exceptionally selfish. The current generation coming through of 10-20 year olds are the second highest volunteering group in Australia behind pensioners. My favourite stat to show how caring the next generation is. In any given month, 34% of Australian teenagers volunteer their time in some way. This could be through umpiring, coaching, helping a neighbour or giving up their time to assist their school. (86% of Muslim's from the same age group volunteer their time... but that's a religious expectation) Since volunteering contributes more to the Australian economy than our main industry, mining, this bodes well for the future of our country.

Penny said:

Over medication. Yes! As a teacher this is a pet hate of mine and the USA was soooo much worse than Australia in this regard. Australian doctors can't accept bribes or kick backs and have no choice in the brand of medication that gets used when they prescribe a drug. We still over medicate though due to inaccurate expectations of what children should be like and should do. Working at a camp in the USA the line for night and morning meds was so long it was sickening. In my time working with children (At least 10 years if you don't count my volunteering as a teenager) there are 2 kids I'd say had ADHD or ADD. One 7yo couldn't concentrate long enough to feed himself. He would stab his food with his fork and then something would grab his attention and he'd be off. It would never make it to his mouth unless someone constantly passed him the food. This sucked because the medication that helped him concentrate took his appetite. The other boy was 11 and would cry because he wanted to do his work but he couldn't focus. But in any class I would have at least one ADHD medicated kid (except in my desert school.. we didn't have doctors to medicate them)

Sir Ken Robinson, a UK educator knighted for his contributions to our understanding of education and creativity, notes that if you look at ADHD diagnosis that some states seem worse than others in the USA. The further east you move the more ADHD there seems to be.
"What I do know for a fact is that it's not an epidemic. These kids are being medicated as routinely as we had our tonsils taken out and on the same whimsical basis and for the same reason. Medical fashion. Our children are living in the most intensely stimulating period in the history of the Earth. They're being besieged by information form every platform. From computers, from iphones, from advertising and from hundreds of television channels. We're penalising them now for getting distracted. From what? Boring stuff. At school for the most part. It seems to me that it's not a coincidence, totally, that ADHD diagnosis has risen in parallel with the growth of standardised testing. We give them ritalin and adrol and a whole manner of dangerous drugs to get them to focus and calm them down. According to diagnosis, ADHD increases as you move east across the country. People start losing interest in Oklahoma, can hardly think straight in Arkansas and by the time they get to Washington they've lost it completely. It is a fictitious epidemic."

Great talk by Sir Ken Robinson on modern education
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

There was another amazing talk that Ken Robinson did where he discussed this little girl called Gillian Lynn. During her school years her mother took her to a psychiatrist because she wouldn't concentrate. The psych talked to her for a bit then asked the mother to leave the room with him and have a chat. As he left he put on the radio and they went to the obvservation window. Gillian straight away began dancing. He said, "There's nothing wrong with her. She's just a dancer." The mother enrolled her in a dance school and she went on to choreograph the hit musical, Cats, and become a multimillionaire.

When I moved from my very difficult school to my easy suburbia school I was told by some teachers. "You have so many behaviour problems in your class. It will be a hard year." Turns out a 50 year old teacher who has been in an easy school her whole life thinks that fiddling is a behaviour problem. Bad expectations are a big cause of over medication in my opinion. I went a whole week teaching that class and still couldn't point to the behaviour problems they were talking about. The deputy, who also had been to difficult schools, used to laugh constantly with me at the other teachers who complained about kids who wouldn't sit still. But what teachers say about kids today is true. We know kids fidget more today in class than in the 70s. That's a fact. But the currently understood reason why is pretty interesting. It is because of the lack of outdoor activity and physical movement. Children today have critically weak core muscles. Critically because it may cause back problems later in life and it makes it hard for them to learn. Their body, knowing this will be a problem, makes them feel uncomfortable from sitting still and gives them the urge to move around so they can increase the strength in those muscles. Hence, fidgeting. This is why many teachers will contact a child's parents and talk about "behaviour issues." The behaviour issue is the parent doesn't kick their kid outside and give the child the opportunity to develop their core strength. The education system has poor behaviour because it still believes that children should be educated by a factory model system.
In this easy class I had one boy who apparently was a huge behaviour problem and I got a form to fill out from his psychiatrist. They were diagnosing him with ADHD. They asked flat out if I thought he had ADHD and there were lots of questions about his behaviour. I said no, he was just an 8 year old boy who the education system doesn't fit. I then went on to fill out the form with his behaviours, putting notes next to each question about how I changed systems to suit him. I said his behaviour was perfectly acceptable for an 8 year old boy. He was still diagnosed but the psychiatrist refused to give him drugs which was brilliant. The parents were also great and supported my education style as well as taking on the psychs recommendation to spend more time doing things with him. However, his teacher that he was going into last year is a "sit down, shut up" kind of teacher so I think he would have been medicated.

People say "These kids today." That is such a cop out. I say "These parents today" and "Those parents in the 80s." One of the biggest causes of childhood problems today was a badly researched parenting psychology in the 80s. There was this idea that came out that was used to parent children. You should not say no and shouldn't allow them to have negative experiences. I tried and tried to find it but I can't find the research I have in my text book, Child Development by McDevitt and Ormrod, that shows children who were parented in this way back in the 80s interact a lot less with their children and spend more time doing things just for themselves, without their children. They spend more time at the gym, use daycare centres more, their children have more screen time, drink more alcohol and they are more likely to feed their children fast food. In short, there is a significant group of parents today who are bad parents because of bad parenting advice given to THEIR parents when they were children. In short, these parents are more likely to be selfish.

The other big destroyer was also from the 80s and 90s. "Stranger Danger." It destroyed many important childhood experiences by breeding fear into children through their parents and made parents keep their children at home. This fear has been transferred to the current generation of parents even though the police stopped the stranger danger program in the late 90s knowing how misinformed and destructive it was. I was raised in the stranger danger generation but I was lucky that my parents believed my highly protective dog was protection enough when I played on the street or walked to the shop. Today, none of my friends will allow their children to play on the street without supervision. In Australia up until last week it was school holidays but you wouldn't have known it. I saw only 3 kids in a town of 4000 people who were out riding their bikes. This doesn't mean the majority parents aren't giving their children meaningful time outside. They do. They take them to the pool, play with them, take them to sports, let them play in the backyard and many other things. But they don't let them do it by themselves without adults directing what is done. Children have less opportunity to play creatively. Structured play such as play groups and sporting clubs just aren't as beneficial as kids having to make up games and be creative. But free play isn't the only thing important. Having no parents around is also important. Being unsupervised.

Australia is currently conducting the biggest longitudinal study of children ever undertaken in the world. 12,000 children born in 2005 are being tracked through detailed parent surveys and huge numbers of other research tactics including interviewing, videoing and children attending university experience. This study is tracking all aspects of children's lives. From screen time, to interactions, to personalities. All these results are available to all world universities and there's some amazing research that is coming from it. The most important results are made into an Australian documentary every two years and follow around 15 of the kids. If you want to look it up it's Life at 1, Life at 3, Life at 5, Life at 7 and Life at 9. In Life at 9 the children were given a task. They had to walk to the shop by themselves, buy an icecream and walk home. They were shadowed by a TV crew and they wore their own camera. Of the whole group of children, only 1 child made it to the shop. The majority turned back because they were too scared to cross roads or they were scared of some people. The child who made it has a mother who is blind and has a lot of independence. This lack of independence will most likely have negative ramifications for a child as they grow up. It will be interesting to see the results.

Part of this longitudinal study has actually shown that childhood obesity is linked closely to this as well. What is the biggest indicator of childhood obesity? No, it's not screen time, or time exercising, or diet. It's time spent outside. A 5 year old uses more energy fidgeting in a week than in 10 hours of organised physical activity such as team sports. A child who goes outside for two hours will use the same amount of energy because they use a lot more energy from their brain and every part of their body than during organised sports.

Anyway, I'm going to stop there. To sum up. The people who complain about "kids today" seem to be people who were parents in the 80s. There is building evidence that suggest it was their fault that we have these "kids today." But, I think these "kids today" are a great group who will do more than their parents did for society but in a different way.

Also Calico. I agree in 99% of cases completely. Violence is usually due to some underlying issue that isn't a clinical problem and often doesn't need a label. Usually it needs a bullet for the abusive parent and the grandparent who abused that parent. And that 16 year old girl will probably need a bullet as well. (I don't believe in killing people but I do like over the top reactions to hammer home my point) It takes a lot to break a cycle of violence.

End rant.

I don't think the girl was abused, I think the girl lacked structure growing up and she didn't get disciplined properly and they always let her have her way if I remember correctly. Another pet hate of mine, when people keep assuming there is child abuse whenever a kid is violent. A kid can be violent due to some mental illness or because of lack of parenting or because the parent was too strict, too rigid there was no in between so the child felt closed in and tight so they will spring out of control in their adolescence because they feel so closed in, I am not saying all kids will turn violent if you are too strict and too black and white, but I am saying the kid can get out of control if you do that as a parent.

I knew a kid with ODD and boy was he violent and his mother always gave into him because she was afraid of him but yet when the father would be home, he acted better because his dad didn't let him do that shit and his mom let him do it because she was afraid of him. The kid was ten and my therapist considered him to be ill. He was not abused. I also think he could have had conduct disorder since I read that the difference between ODD and conduct disorder is with ODD there is no aggression towards animals and people. The kid was aggressive to get his way because he didn't like to be told no or to be told "later" or to wait. Part of it could have been the mother's fault for giving into him when he was young and she probably didn't know what to do and how to help him since with ODD you can't really do what you can to normal kids. ODDers do not like authority or being told what to do, they need to be in control. But yet whenever I read about a kid having it, they are always aggressive and they are really mean children and bully others to get their way. I read ODD is often a comorbid of ADHD and autism but I read only 40% of people with ASD have ODD.

Well put Calico. I do automatically think of it and look for symptoms of abuse in kids like that but only because statistics show 1 in 3 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be abused before they're 18 and this can influence a range of issues. It's estimated only 50% will report their abuse before the age of 40.

Yep. Another one from that 80s "permissive" parenting style. No boundaries is an issue in violence.

To raise a well balanced kid is pretty simple in the things that's needed. Three things - Genuine affection, consistency and needs met.

I like your use of the word genuine affection. I see a lot of parents who half ass answer there kids or "watch them with one eye" as it were.

Yes dear is not a response its an automatic reaction and kids know that.

I grew up in the stranger danger era and there were some good lessons in it. Don't tell anyone that mom and dad aren't home, dont get into cars with strangers and that kind of thing but I think some people went overboard and it bread paranoia and hostility.

I was talkin to this woman who says that she watches her children like a hawk because pedophiles are everywhere.

I said "okay, I can see your point that you never know and I can admire you being cautious but what about your family?" and she just looke at me like a stunned deer and I asked her again if she watches her daughters around family too and I proceeded to explain to her that this was one case where stranger danger isn't all it's cracked up to be, children are more likely to be abused by a family member or close friend and in fact everyone I know who has been abuse in this way wa abused by usually a cousin or neighbor and she looked as if I slapped her in the face.....which I did not mean at all.

But that's not to say you shouldnt trust anyone. It's quite the opposite, trust people, teach your kids to trust people but also have an open and honest dialogue with your children, teach them no means no, how to protect themselves and how to trust their body when it says something's wrong.

Teach them the buddy system when their out playing and always always always ask them if everything okay, what did you do today and make sure they know they can tell you everything.

My generation breeded a bunch of scared people and you can see it clear as day in the world around us but it isn't impossible to think we can undo it.

As long as the cartoons exist, I've always been confused why it matters if they are on Saturday morning. Kid show networks are still catered to making sure that the kids aren't missing anything with their school hours, keeping their new episodes and such on weekday nights or weekends.

Sure, I have some fond memories of waking up to watch a new episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! on Saturday morning on WB, but I have memories of accidentally oversleeping and being really frustrated and wishing they played it at night instead too.

kitterdafoxy said:
...this has been said for the past decade, but now we can say with absolute certainty that Saturday morning cartoons are completely dead. They have been slowly dying since the late 90's, but there were a few gems amongst the wealth of cheaply animated flash or CGI cartoons. But inevitably there would come a day when the flash cartoons, CGI imports, and streaming services would completely kill Saturday morning cartoons, that day has come. While Saturday morning cartoons may still exist in some countries (Australia and England are still going strong last I knew), in america they have widely been wiped out. Just 20 years ago, children would wake up at 7:00am, run downstairs and get some soda and chips, and then sit for hours on end watching mindless TV until the 12:00pm news came on. Nowadays they sleep till 12:00pm, grab some kale chips or whatever the hell kids eat, and stare at a small screen and watch youtube and play freemium games until their phones run out of charge and quit working. If this is where the american population is heading, I am truly scared for our future, I'm not even joking around.

Especially kids who put on make-up and look like 20 year old's, take selfies and post them on the internet for attention.

APersonThatIsAHuman said:
Especially kids who put on make-up and look like 20 year old's, take selfies and post them on the internet for attention.

Yeah, I don't get why everyone likes selfies, what's next? Asselfies?

Man, there is a lot of judgement in this thread. If I had internet ready devices when I was a kid at super easy accessible.. I would probably be the same way. Kids got all these cool new toys! Mobile gaming is cool.. I did the same thing with the Gameboy. Gawsh, if I was a cute teenager girl I would take tons of pictures of myself too. Taking pictures of yourself is fun! Why all the harshness? Also gawsh, I pretty much just watch Youtube now myself.

Every generation is different with access to different things. My generation isn't "better" then the one currently growing up now, not by a long shot.

kitterdafoxy said:
Yeah, I don't get why everyone likes selfies, what's next? Asselfies?

I can see that coming....

Yeah Penny. Family and friends are the most likely abusers. 13-18 year olds are the most likely to abuse. There's a few important ways you can keep trust without compromising safety too much. Teach young kids that they should never keep a secret... ever... Explain that secrets don't have an end but they can keep surprises since surprises have a date when you tell people. The other important part is calling body parts by their real name. Penis, vagina, etc. Parents often change the name because they are embarrassed by calling it by the scientific term. Giving them the correct terminology helps them to disclose if something does happen. Next is explaining warning signs their body gives them when something is wrong. Then the next is how to stop someone. 5 types of No is one example.

On technology. There was an excellent research project on selfies and photographs in relation to memory. Classes were given a camera to take on a field trip. One third of them took photos of whatever they wanted and had an unlimited number of photos for the day. The second group were given a limit on the number of photos and had to choose memorable, interesting or important things to take photos of. The third group were not given cameras. Of the three groups, the ones who had unlimited photos took a lot of selfies and photos that didn't involve the field trip. They had a poorer recall of the field trip and enjoyed the field trip the least. The second group had the best recall out of the three groups and had the second highest enjoyment. The third group enjoyed the field trip the most and had the second best recall. What it showed is technology is good but it can be detrimental to life experiences if used to the degree that lots of people now use it.

Hehe. I do judge the entertainment industry quite often especially in childrens media. It's very constructed to direct children to marketing. However, I do agree with the only on Saturday morning thing. I never got to watch Saturday morning cartoons because I had hockey at 8am and we were too poor to afford a video recorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back