Tabletop Role Playing Games like D&D, Call of Cthulhu, Star Wars

WanderingToddler said:
Awesome. I did something similar once. The players were separated and fought constructs of each other. The damage they really was done to the other players. Told of fun. I've been known to do custom monsters to through players for a loop. My favorite was the cloud troll in the rental plane if air. Took them forever to learn what is weeknesses were.

Nice to see another abdl gamer!
I haven't played since university although the fond memories were never forgotten. After graduating from 1st ed D&D I most played with custom rules mainly because I wanted more realism in physical combat. My recollection was that AD&D lacked such realism but still seemed to get mired in lots of detail on everything else. I've lost touch with the contemporary RPG field. What's the 'standard' for fantasy RPG rules that combine playability with good simulation of combat?

Last edited:
DylanLewis said:
I haven't played since university although the fond memories were never forgotten. After graduating from 1st ed D&D I most played with custom rules mainly because I wanted more realism in physical combat. My recollection was that AD&D lacked such realism but still seemed to get mired in lots of detail on everything else. I've lost touch with the contemporary RPG field. What's the 'standard' for fantasy RPG rules that combine playability with good simulation of combat?
I'm not sure what the standard is but most are not realistic. I am developing a be system which is more realistic while still simple. I warned them that combat was deadly but it took the first company to bring players to their senses. The character got the drop in three enemies and too them out while only taking one hit. That one hit almost killed him. He was shocked. Players have been much more cautious about combat now and plan much better also.

I’m currently creating a Fallout DnD from scratch, it’s really fun and I’ll be play testing it with friends soon.

Beowulf said:
I’m currently creating a Fallout DnD from scratch, it’s really fun and I’ll be play testing it with friends soon.
That sounds awesome. I am working in on my own game system in my limited spare time. Dnd is quite adaptable, so it should fit into fallout nicely with some tweaks.

It is nice to see another abdl gamer!

If you have any interest in a very slow moving pop game your welcome into my abdl game. Currently just one player, but it is starting out nicely. Pbp is always slow though.

Reactions: Beowulf
Back