Sweet and burnt plastic smell in full diapers

Canadianfalls

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Curious if this is just me or something common... after a few hours (maybe 3-6) in a fairly saturated diaper, do you ever notice a sweet and almost sugary smell? I get this a lot with the Prevail 360 diapers, and sometimes with a BetterDry... though after long wearing an M4 or BetterDry I usually smell what I can only describe as burnt plastic...

do you think you might be diabetic?

todderhr said:
do you think you might be diabetic?
Sure hope not. I'm young, active and have no symptoms at all. Always eat healthy (big gym guy).

Reactions: todderhr
Canadianfalls said:
Sure hope not. I'm young, active and have no symptoms at all. Always eat healthy (big gym guy).
probably just a reaction with urine and the SAP in the diapers.

Reactions: Jorelaxed and Canadianfalls
Canadianfalls said:
Curious if this is just me or something common... after a few hours (maybe 3-6) in a fairly saturated diaper, do you ever notice a sweet and almost sugary smell? I get this a lot with the Prevail 360 diapers, and sometimes with a BetterDry... though after long wearing an M4 or BetterDry I usually smell what I can only describe as burnt plastic...
I also have this happen with Prevail diapers, they do not smell like others when they are wet.

Reactions: Canadianfalls
LukeTheDeersky said:
I also have this happen with Prevail diapers, they do not smell like others when they are wet.
Ah, I'm glad it isn't just me then haha. Unfortunately had a pair really badly leak overnight (the 360s really aren't meant for bed, despite their claims) and woke up with my sheets and clothes smelling weirdly sweet. The smell really lingers, even after a shower too!
Question for you, since you also use Prevail. Are the overnights actually good over-night? Are the air plus and other similar variations of the 360s any better with absorbency?
I'm male, and appreciate the padding up front, but the 360 doesn't do me justice when lying down as it seems most of the absorbency is targeted in a certain strip of absorbent padding mostly up front. Thinking about trying the overnight Prevails over the summer since the Betterdry and M4s get hot and I don't always need the absorbency when I watch my fluids.

Thanks!

I’ve noticed certain brands smell different when wet. I’m guessing it’s whatever they use for odor control. Also depending on what I eat, it’ll smell differently too

Blue2006 said:
I’ve noticed certain brands smell different when wet. I’m guessing it’s whatever they use for odor control. Also depending on what I eat, it’ll smell differently too
Whatever prevail does is certainly odd then. BetterDry too, it's almost like at a certain wet point, the odor control just washes away and stops completely.

Rather disappointing when wearing for long periods like at work.

Canadianfalls said:
Ah, I'm glad it isn't just me then haha. Unfortunately had a pair really badly leak overnight (the 360s really aren't meant for bed, despite their claims) and woke up with my sheets and clothes smelling weirdly sweet. The smell really lingers, even after a shower too!
Question for you, since you also use Prevail. Are the overnights actually good over-night? Are the air plus and other similar variations of the 360s any better with absorbency?
I'm male, and appreciate the padding up front, but the 360 doesn't do me justice when lying down as it seems most of the absorbency is targeted in a certain strip of absorbent padding mostly up front. Thinking about trying the overnight Prevails over the summer since the Betterdry and M4s get hot and I don't always need the absorbency when I watch my fluids.

Thanks!
The only time I will use anything by prevail is when I know I am going to be wearing for a short time, and never lying down. I would not recommend anything from them for a lying down position, as their is essentially no waistband.

Back