Stupid things pre ABDL diapers

DownUnderRoo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
What are some of the things you did in the pre ABDL diaper era? I (early 40s) bought Pampers size 6 and staple two of them together, then staple the tabs next to each other to extend it. Completely ridiculous in hindsight. Online availability didn't become a thing until the early 2000s and I just couldn't get over myself to go to a medical supply store in person to ask.

Reactions: Canadianfalls, Lostdiapersboy, Wolfman69 and 2 others
In 1983, I bought a box of Toddler Luvs to see if they would fit me. I had a 27" waist at the time and weighed about 120 pounds. They didn't.

In 1985, my girlfriend diapered me for the first time with a couple of Curity cloth diapers and a pair of snap-on adult-sized plastic pants ... which, as we discovered, didn't come close to handling what I could dish out.

In the fall of 1992, I had my first conversation with a prospective big babysitter, which did not go well. The next one didn't go well either, nor the one after that. At the time, no one had even heard of adult babies.

Suffice it to say ABs and DLs who have come of age in the 21st Century have no idea how lucky they are.

• Haha
Reactions: mbta12, BobbiSueEllen, Lostdiapersboy and 11 others
sbmccue said:
Suffice it to say ABs and DLs who have come of age in the 21st Century have no idea how lucky they are.
I agree. Sometimes we just don’t appreciate the people who developed this community sometimes, myself included.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, Prillprillprill and CuriousFabio
Took 2 of my nephews pampers when he was a kid and selotaped them both to me when i was younger wore them to bed and my mum woke me up i got such a fright i jumped out my bed with the pampers selotaped to me my mum asked why i had them on an why i had them taped to me i told her my bed wetting was back cos i didnt know what else to say then after that she would leave 2 diapers near my room door i never took them at 1st as i didnt know why they wer theyre but then on the 2nd day they wer straight on me and i cant describe how it felt but yeah i didnt know about adult nappies bk then and i was young my mum was single
my dad died so it was the only way she could help me but i came clean and told her
fetish or whatever it was called when my own kid wasborn and when we visited my mum i would take a couple out the bag and go put them on my mum didnt understand it at 1st or ehy i got so excited when i wore them but she didnt bother i wish she was still with me today because she wouldve been a great supporter to me going thru the abdl stage she wouldve bought me nappies aswell i could tell my mum anything and aslong i wasnt hatming anyone else she didnt bother if i got found out my ex wouldve dnded it bk then so only wore in my mums xxx

Reactions: Cottontail, messydiaper and TreeLad
As Young kid and teen I did many makeshift diapers to get me through those years. I used a lot of paper towels and white plastic garbage bags with tape. It wasnt perfect but was close enough to a thick crinkly diaper. I was so jealous in these years also with visiting the supermarket or toys r US and seeing all the bags of thick white plastic diapers stacked to the ceilings. I knew I couldnt fit into them either being older.

Reactions: Cottontail, DownUnderRoo and DLJosie
MikeDJ said:
As Young kid and teen I did many makeshift diapers to get me through those years. I used a lot of paper towels and white plastic garbage bags with tape. It wasnt perfect but was close enough to a thick crinkly diaper. I was so jealous in these years also with visiting the supermarket or toys r US and seeing all the bags of thick white plastic diapers stacked to the ceilings. I knew I couldnt fit into them either being older.
Such an arts and crafts project 😄 Actually using it then seems like such a waste of time and effort

Reactions: Diapermedic and DLJosie
I used to have a white towelling dressing gown when I was about 10 or 11.

I used to lay it out on my bed and fold it in a way so I could wear it as a nappy. I didn't have nappy pins so I used the dressing gown tie to hold everything in place. Sometimes I would wear a plastic carrier bag over it as plastic pants. I was very particular about the plastic bag as some didn't sound right.

• Love
Reactions: Lostdiapersboy, Cottontail, DownUnderRoo and 1 other person
Around the age of 10, I started using masking tape to help keep the large and extra large Huggies and Pampers on me until the early-‘90’s when Pull-Ups came out. I was in my early teens at that time and was skinny enough to fit into large Pull Ups. Those did the trick for me until Goodnites came out when I was 16.

Reactions: Cottontail
When i was in my late teens, I use to take pull-ups from the childs that I babysat for and take them home. I would wear them and use them when no one was at home. I loved the feeling of the padding.

• Love
Reactions: DanElmontan and DLJosie
So did i but never knew how addictive it was 🤣🤣🤣xxx

I would take a few of my cousins diapers that were always hanging around my grandmother's house as a kid. Back in the 90s we would go to Walmart with my grandmother and of course she would let me run around anywhere I wanted. I always made it straight to the bathroom where they had the diaper fending machine. I would get one just about every time we went and just shove it down the back of my pants with my shirt hanging over to get it out of the store. It was a large solid white plastic backed diaper that didn't really fit but it didn't matter. As far as a make shift diapers go's I used to fold up a hand towel and put it through my crotch under some Whitey tighties. It felt like padding.

Reactions: ABDLlover, Lostdiapersboy and Cottontail
I did many of makeshift diapers.
Pillow cases, bath towels, taping 2 Pampers together, maxi pads in my underwear.......you name it and I tried it. My first real diaper, one that actually fit me was Attends in the early 80s. From there it was Depends and store brands till the late 90s early 2000s. That's when RiteAid released their store brand that had a velcro hook and loop system, 1 tab on each side. I used these and baby diapers to make what we now call ABDL diapers. I had a work station set up in my basement on my work bench. I got so good at making these diapers that I could make 6 in about 2 hrs. It was an arduous task but omg they were so freaking nice.

Someone already stated this but it's worth saying again. Those that were born from the mid 80s and up have no clue about the struggles with the lack of diapers and resources available we older ABDLs had. There was really nothing available to satisfy that urge except cloth diapers and that's if we could actually get some that fit us.

In all honesty, I actually envy this younger generation. I mean what I would have given to have had todays ABDL diapers when I was in my teens. I'm 58 and it's only been the last 8 years that we've seen this explosion of mocked up infant style adult diapers come on the scene. I might only have a 25 to 30 years left and I'm not sure how long I'll be mentally lucid or physically fit to really enjoy them. It would have been nice to have 50+ years like the younger ABDLs today got but I gotta take what's given and be grateful for it.

And yes I know there are still struggles for the younger generation. Struggles like how to get them. Where to hide them. How to explain if ever caught. But the younger folks have one thing we older folks never had and that's resources. Resources like the internet and sites like this. One quick search and they have a plethora of information at their finger tips. Information that can help them sort out the big questions that plagued the older generation had and that is what is wrong with me that I have this liking for diapers. Why? It wasn't until the late 90s, after we got the internet, that I discovered I wasn't the only one with this affliction. There were others like me. Up until that time it was an awful lonely feeling believing I was the only one.

Just my thoughts.

Reactions: DiaperedTeddyBear, Nottylu, PadPhilosopher and 2 others
In 2000-2001 I stole my cousins’ size 4 Huggies, possibly as size 3. I tried so hard to get them to fit but there was no way. I still wanted to feel the feeling of using the diaper. So I held it up around my butt and pooped into it. Then threw it in the bathroom trash under the sink. My mom found it and I had some splaining to do. I don’t remember how it all played out but at that same time I stole one of my other cousin’s panties. Wasn’t feeling well on a Sunday morning. I put them on and fell asleep on the couch. Woke up to my brother laughing and had to explain that too. Probably worse feeling in my life. I hated that apartment. Mom was a real mess back then and I was looking for an escape because of how deeply depressed I was.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Cottontail
Back in the 80s I used to buy Pampers, which were fanfolds back then, and use two of them to construct a larger fanfold that would fit me.

I perfected a technique over time that involved undoing the glued center point to make two big rectangles. I'd cut one so that the combined length of the two was the right length for me and then I'd connect them. I tried Elmers glue at first but the plastic backing prevented the glue from completely drying so I reverted to staples. To get the larger fanfold around my hips I would create extenders using the tabs from another diaper.

It was a lot of work to make a single diaper and the quality of the finished product wasn't all that great, but the feeling of wearing a real Pamper was priceless.

I remember the day that I saw Pampers was following Huggies down the hourglass shape path and was abandoning the fanfold and I was devastated.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Cottontail
I remember the disaster that happened 25+ years ago when I attempted to removed the core of a cheap drug-store diaper, and stuff it into another cheap drug-store diaper.
I spent a lot of time cleaning gel beads out of my bed and carpet after I used the 'Franken-Diaper' while sleeping .

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, Diaperman95 and Cottontail
Too sore to detail much, but as far as dispies go....
Sucking out the pee with a carpet cleaner (pre-SAP days);
Drying dispies out (pre-SAP days);
Keeping the shells of favourite models for to stuff with pads, towels, etc;
And everything else that everybody else has done 🤭

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Cottontail
Mods, mods, and more mods. I had a really difficult time warming up to adult diapers of any sort. Even the early ABDL ones failed to convince me, so at least when it came to disposables, I was mostly using modded baby diapers until the early 2010s.

As a kid in the 80s and 90s, I regularly had both cloth and disposable baby diapers on hand. My usual trick with the cloth diapers (prefolds) was to fold one into a triangle and pin it to the end of another one, creating wings to match my larger waist. For the disposable diapers, I'd butchered some old underwear and made reusable extenders from the elastic. I'd pin these to the sides of the diapers (usually Pampers) so I could just pull them on. Those were my usual diapers during my middle school and high school years. (I never wore them to school, to be clear!)

Last edited:
Reactions: DiaperedTeddyBear, BobbiSueEllen and TreeLad
ade said:
Too sore to detail much, but as far as dispies go....
Sucking out the pee with a carpet cleaner (pre-SAP days);
Drying dispies out (pre-SAP days);
Keeping the shells of favourite models for to stuff with pads, towels, etc;
And everything else that everybody else has done 🤭
Sounds similar to the mess I made one while taking a shower while wearing a Goodnite. The Goodnite burst open after I sat down with it on and the resulting gel explosion was no fun cleaning up.

• Wow
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
DanElmontan said:
Sounds similar to the mess I made one while taking a shower while wearing a Goodnite. The Goodnite burst open after I sat down with it on and the resulting gel explosion was no fun cleaning up.
Hahah! I've tried that a few times when I was much younger like 17 or 18 but it doesn't appeal to me as much anymore because of the cleanup, but I remember reading here or somewhere that regular table salt is supposed to help with that messy situation if you ever do it again?
I'm sure someone here knows exactly why or can better explain or just correct me if I'm wrong but I definitely remember that for some reason.

One of my kinda iconic memories discovering some sort of liking/fondness that probably contributes to my DL comes from my childhood experience of discovering what happens when a pull up gets completely soaked! Don't swim in one!

I swam in one for a minute or two then got out and was like what the heck is going on why's it so big?!? I can't remember why I was out by the pool after getting ready for bed, we were probably told to go put the toys away or skim the leaves or check the skimmers or something we were supposed to and didn't or forgot! But long story short is I got pushed in the pool by my oldest sister (no big deal we were all competitive swimmers and it wasn't malicious, just fun :LOL:) but I was already wearing pajama bottoms and my pull-up so I swam around for a minute not realizing it was absorbing all the pool water until I got out but it was soaked and massive which was immediately funny to us both how huge and squishy it was. Can't remember much anything other than laughing about it and waddling around the pool finishing chores for a bit and laughing about how huge it was until we got in trouble for getting back in the pool then Mom making me strip outside and wrap up in a towel and get ready for bed again. Probably not a smart thing cause if it popped and jammed up the filter or something it would've been bad but we were kids and didn't even know or think of that it was just fun!

DownUnderRoo said:
What are some of the things you did in the pre ABDL diaper era? I (early 40s) bought Pampers size 6 and staple two of them together, then staple the tabs next to each other to extend it. Completely ridiculous in hindsight. Online availability didn't become a thing until the early 2000s and I just couldn't get over myself to go to a medical supply store in person to ask.
T-shirt twice My size 3 layers thick and use duct tape

Back