So my doctor prescribed my pull ups for IC

RainbowDashie

🎀🖤Little Girl
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
It was actually a shockingly easy process for me.

i said i had been to the urologist multiple times and had a episode of leaking where i didn't feel it coming out, due to a medication i took once. and he said you want pull ups? Depends?

I said yes if you can, they will work for my issue. then he prescribed 6 refills of 6 boxes I'm assuming for 6 months of use? I was shocked at how he gave them so easily. usually i expect testing like crazy before they give diapers. but not for me apparently. I suffer with urge IC and some Leakage from sneezing, coughing, laughing. etc.

i have tried Kegels and they dont work for me. Either my muscles are severely weak or its back damage from a SA in my past.

My spine has a bad disc in the lower back so its possible its causing the IC. Until i can get it looked at, diapers it is.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Fleetwoodmac32192, Lumos and 2 others
ABGirl93 said:

i said i had been to the urologist multiple times and had a episode of leaking where i didn't feel it coming out, due to a medication i took once. and he said you want pull ups? Depends?

I said yes if you can, they will work for my issue. then he prescribed 6 refills of 6 boxes I'm assuming for 6 months of use? I was shocked at how he gave them so easily. usually i expect testing like crazy before they give diapers. but not for me apparently. I suffer with urge IC and some Leakage from sneezing, coughing, laughing. etc.

i have tried Kegels and they dont work for me. Either my muscles are severely weak or its back damage from a SA in my past.

My spine has a bad disc in the lower back so its possible its causing the IC. Until i can get it looked at, diapers it is.
I have had back problems since I was in my late teens due to accidents and then a workplace injury. I have had all the testing done and several back procedures over the last 10 or 12 years but not major surgery. I will never do that as I know too many people who are worse off after it. After several Urologists visits it was my suggestion to start wearing night diapers for my severe wetting problems and my doctor only offered another pill which he admitted did not always work so he said do what you need to do. I never asked about government help with costs or supplies as yet but I have only just in the last year or two needed to wear pull ups while out during the day for urge and leaking incontinence so on my next visit this spring I will talk to him about that. My back issue is four lower discs that are pretty much damaged beyond repair unless they are fused and so far I have not heard good reports after this surgery.

Reactions: Diprs2
So in my area it's 2 years of urologist appointments
First appointment asked for assistance with getting diapers due to low income (which I am) he said we can't I have to prove I've done everything else first
multiple tests and meds over 2 years
finally get letter to help with coverage
had 3 phone interviews now im waiting for an in person interview to discuss my incontinence diary I had to do
Going on 3 years now still paying 100% out of pocket

Side note my GP prescribed diapers and took them in and they literally laughed at me and said that's not how it works
Funny how if the prescription said medication it would have been filled
😔

Reactions: Diprs2, PinkytheCow, Newguy1223 and 1 other person
SparkyDog said:
So in my area it's 2 years of urologist appointments
First appointment asked for assistance with getting diapers due to low income (which I am) he said we can't I have to prove I've done everything else first
multiple tests and meds over 2 years
finally get letter to help with coverage
had 3 phone interviews now im waiting for an in person interview to discuss my incontinence diary I had to do
Going on 3 years now still paying 100% out of pocket

Side note my GP prescribed diapers and took them in and they literally laughed at me and said that's not how it works
Funny how if the prescription said medication it would have been filled
😔
Seems like the Canadian government don't want to cover much unless you are an employee of the government then you may have a fighting chance. I have employee benefits from when I was working but even they don't cover everything. Everybody is on a cost saving mission but not increasing money for any low income residents or even pensions for seniors but they do admit inflation has gone wild but we are just supposed to suck it up. I retired 10 years ago after 42 years working for a great company but my pention has not changed in all that time and neither has the government one. Any help would be good with the cost of diapers and pull ups for a better quality of life but I won't hold my breath, ( didn't work when I did it as a kid either LOL ) .

Angelapinks said:
Seems like the Canadian government don't want to cover much unless you are an employee of the government then you may have a fighting chance. I have employee benefits from when I was working but even they don't cover everything. Everybody is on a cost saving mission but not increasing money for any low income residents or even pensions for seniors but they do admit inflation has gone wild but we are just supposed to suck it up. I retired 10 years ago after 42 years working for a great company but my pention has not changed in all that time and neither has the government one. Any help would be good with the cost of diapers and pull ups for a better quality of life but I won't hold my breath, ( didn't work when I did it as a kid either LOL ) .
Yea and when you're 40 and male they are like well surgery or drugs must work
Problem being Atypical IC
If I was 65 probably be lot easier

• Thinking
Reactions: Diprs2 and Angelapinks
The only tax break we get in Ontario is this:
The Canadian Revenue Agency allows for a medical tax credit for purchase of “Diapers or disposable briefs for a person who is incontinent due to an illness, injury or affliction”. The cost of your purchase can be claimed at line 330 or used in the calculation for a claim at line 331. For a more detailed list and additional information of allowable medical expenses visit the CRA website.
However, this is wimpy because after you add your brief costs to the meds costs, the following applies:
Line 33099 – You can claim the total of the eligible expenses minus the lesser of the following amounts:
  • $2,421
  • 3% of your net income (line 23600 of your tax return)
which is per dependent. By the time you're done, you're only claiming $2,421 off of your taxable income (or up to $2,421 more for your spouse). So if you added to your monthly costs a daily MegaMax, you'd still only be getting $2,421 off of your taxable income. That added MegaMax is fully taxed.

Ok update: insurance refuses to cover any of my prescription for diapers. which is really Ridiculous. As someone on a fixed income i cant be buying diapers , theyre to expensive. What are they expecting me to do? sacrifice food or bills to pay for the most basic of protection? Bah.

ABGirl93 said:

But are pull-ups sufficient or do you need something else? My GP prescribed pull-ups because it was the only thing she connected with otherwise healthy people. She seriously believed that diapers were for seriously ill and not mobile people. I had to educate my GP on the most important things about protection and that pull-ups are not always the best choice. In short: you urologist may have automatically prescribed pull-ups while you might need something different.

ABGirl93 said:
Ok update: insurance refuses to cover any of my prescription for diapers. which is really Ridiculous. As someone on a fixed income i cant be buying diapers , theyre to expensive. What are they expecting me to do? sacrifice food or bills to pay for the most basic of protection? Bah.
Same here
Yet will cover medication that costs more

• Sad
I’ve been trying to get my insurance in Florida to pay for my diapers for 20 years. Nope. Even US Medicare won’t pay for diapers. Medicaid (depending on state), VA (if you are a veteran and spend years working at it) and some insurance in some US states. The diapers they will give you are garbage anyway. You are better off buying in bulk during sales and/or using a flexible spending account (if you are employed and your employer has one).

ABGirl93 said:

My possess was very much the same. I got diagnosed with Urge IC and another problem. We went straight to diapers. Just a short talk about a few other things but that was it. I came back about a month later the Doctor asked how I was doing in diapers. I told him just fine and that was that. No tests or try this first kind of thing.

Back