Slight Anal Leakage (IBS) - Product advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HetchinsRider1946

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I was diagnosed with IBS-d in 2007 and it's never been a real problem until recently. A few weeks ago I had a rare major IBS flare up and I contacted my family doctor who did some tests to make sure nothing sinister is happening - it's just IBS-d. Since then I've suffered with anal leakage of fluid stained with faeces - this happens mainly after a BM and continues, sometimes, for a few hours. This is beyond 'skid marks' but well short of full-on diarrhoea.
My doctor's advice is always 'eat more fibre' - I'm eating plenty of soluble fibre and it makes no difference. I'm waiting for another consultation.
I'm coping with this leakage by using female pads (sanitary towels / panty liners) to prevent it staining my trousers. But, they aren't designed for the back of the male anatomy and they don't really absorb faecal material.
Has anyone any better solutions? There's not enough for nappies or pants, but there's too much to go without anything!

HetchinsRider1946 said:
I was diagnosed with IBS-d in 2007 and it's never been a real problem until recently. A few weeks ago I had a rare major IBS flare up and I contacted my family doctor who did some tests to make sure nothing sinister is happening - it's just IBS-d. Since then I've suffered with anal leakage of fluid stained with faeces - this happens mainly after a BM and continues, sometimes, for a few hours. This is beyond 'skid marks' but well short of full-on diarrhoea.
My doctor's advice is always 'eat more fibre' - I'm eating plenty of soluble fibre and it makes no difference. I'm waiting for another consultation.
I'm coping with this leakage by using female pads (sanitary towels / panty liners) to prevent it staining my trousers. But, they aren't designed for the back of the male anatomy and they don't really absorb faecal material.
Has anyone any better solutions? There's not enough for nappies or pants, but there's too much to go without anything!
Hopefully the flare-up stops soon

only advice I have is change frequently and clean religiously

You will get rashes / infections real quick if you leave it. Change and clean soon after a leaking episode.

I have this problem sometimes as well, i just ordered a pack of ”butterfly” by attends. We’ll see how they work

Cthulhu said:
I have this problem sometimes as well, i just ordered a pack of ”butterfly” by attends. We’ll see how they work
I tried some 'no name' butterfly gauzes and while I found the size & design just right, they were supremely uncomfortable.
Your bottom may well be different!

SparkyDog said:
Hopefully the flare-up stops soon

only advice I have is change frequently and clean religiously

You will get rashes / infections real quick if you leave it. Change and clean soon after a leaking episode.
Thanks
We installed a bidet style toilet a while back for completely different reasons and it's splendid for keeping everything clean - but only when at home obviously.
I've taken to checking my pad every time I do a wee. But the pad gets sweaty and is causing a bit of irritation - hence my search for a better solution than female products. (I'm not sure how ladies cope with the sweat issues)

Reactions: SparkyDog
These butterfly things.

I've found that Attends Faecal Pads and Renew Inserts can work quite well in those situations. In the UK, the Renew Inserts are only available on prescription, but you put in a sample request on their website - you'll get called by one of their nurses to be assessed, and then they'll liaise with your GP to get them on prescription for you.

Minih said:
I've found that Attends Faecal Pads and Renew Inserts can work quite well in those situations. In the UK, the Renew Inserts are only available on prescription, but you put in a sample request on their website - you'll get called by one of their nurses to be assessed, and then they'll liaise with your GP to get them on prescription for you.
Thanks - that's really helpful. I've put a request in.

Hello,

I also suffer anal leakage and I’ve found it eternally embarrassing and uncomfortable.

I’ve also used female products to cope but I’ve found that it’s horses for courses.

There’s a number of factors to consider and predicament or situation.

Those for me were:

1. What am I wearing, shorts, trousers or jeans

2. How long will I need to go between changing my pad

3. Do I feel really leaky

4. Did I shower the night before or as I left

They’re all really important questions.

My go to products are always but occasionally use use Tena pants. I love always discrete long plus pads as I can cope with my urinary ic dribble also and the night version is even better.

They don’t make me sweat like general female sanitary pads which are much thinner and not designed for urine. However if you are wearing a suit or tailored trousers for a short event, presentation, wedding, funeral etc, they are much more discrete and easy to conceal for a change.

The main problem here is men’s loos do not have a sanitary bin and that means your pocket. So, I’d suggest you keep the cover from the new one to hold the old one and put it sealed in your pocket.

I do however really like the low waisted pull up always discrete panties in black and I assure you that they work, front and back and do not create the sweat issue to the same degree as general pads.

I hope that helps

Jenny xx

❤️

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jenny - that is helpful. I've found by trial and error (with help from my wife) that the Always pads are the best of a bad solution. They stick better (to the back of men's briefs) are slightly wider and seem 'softer'.
As you've said Panty Liners seem to cause less sweat than STs.
I've not had a problem discretely disposing of dirty pads in mens loos - there's generally a bin, even if it's not in the cubicle. But, thanks for the tip.

As suggested upthread I've just received a sample of the Renew Inserts - just one of each size - and this device does seem to be the answer to the problem. A little uncomfortable to start with, but a few hours in and it seems fine. I've already sent a note to my GP to ask for a prescription for more.

The testimonial in the pack was very helpful, and confirmed my thought that the Inserts might be an occasional solution rather than a daily one.

Last edited:
Update
My GP wouldn't refer me to the local Continence service for reasons I am challenging through the practice. Plus he was extremely reluctant to prescribe Renew Inserts but after a robust discussion I got them.
They are a splendid solution - I'm using them whenever I know I'm going out and about during the day. If I'm at home all day I'll carry on using Always Sanitary Towels. Travelling - I'm going to use Attends F6 (I think they're called)

HetchinsRider1946 said:
Update
My GP wouldn't refer me to the local Continence service for reasons I am challenging through the practice. Plus he was extremely reluctant to prescribe Renew Inserts but after a robust discussion I got them.
They are a splendid solution - I'm using them whenever I know I'm going out and about during the day. If I'm at home all day I'll carry on using Always Sanitary Towels. Travelling - I'm going to use Attends F6 (I think they're called)
Wow that's a bit of a slap to the face. Wonder why he was like that.
My urologist was the same 2yrs of fighting and still no coverage

Is it possible to talk to a different GP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back