Sleep machines. Who has or uses one? CPAP, BiPAP, ASV

DiaperedCherub

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I just went through a sleep study and was informed I have central sleep apnea. So, I got an ASV ( Adaptive-servo ventilation) sleep machine. I was concerned that I would hate the thing with a passion. I've only had it for 3 days, already I am very surprised at how comfortable and easy to use it is.
So I'm curious, who else has a sleep machine (CPAP, BiPAP or ASV)? Have you noticed any changes in yourself (more energy, not waking up tired all the time, ect).

Last edited:
I have had a CPAP since 2001.

It took a little while to get use to it but I sleep with it all the time.

I was changed over to a BiPAP about 5 years ago. I actually can not sleep without it. I have strange dreams and feel like I am suffocating.

I was hypercapnic with restless leg syndrome when I was diagnosed in 2001. I always had strange dreams about drowning and would wake up gasping for air. The interesting thing was I have had restless leg my entire life. My mom commented about I was like watching a dog sleep. I thought the constant leg jumps (whole body jumps) was normal until the study. That is why I "never" got apanic because as my CO2 built up I would start leg kicking.

Reactions: DiaperedCherub
The wife and I both use a C-Pap.

I use a c-pap, can’t sleep without it. I didn’t wear a diaper to my first sleep study and kept having to get up to pee. They couldn’t get a good test. I rescheduled and wore a diaper. They did not even bat an eye as they were putting all the sensors on me. I slept so much better and got the results they were looking for.

BabyHailey1977 said:
I rescheduled and wore a diaper. They did not even bat an eye as they were putting all the sensors on me.
I remember them telling me to wear whatever I normally wear to bed. They even told me that if I used a full body pillow to bring it with me. Reason being is they wanted me to sleep just as if I were at home.
I havent worn a diaper to bed in years, I was tempted, but wanted the study to be as accurate as possible. It's amazing the data they compile on you in that 1 night study; heartrate, breaths per minute, limb movements or even twitches, eye movement. They could tell what stage of the sleep cycle I was in even by the brainwave on their monitor. They gave me a color copy of my test. Its really neat.

Reactions: BabyHailey1977
My wife and I both have C-PAP's. Surprisingly, I ❤️ mine. 😇

Copied from Web MD
ASV is similar to continuous positive air pressure (CPAP) devices, but it’s a newer technology. These devices track how you breathe while you sleep. They react to your breathing pattern and adjust air pressure to help you breathe more normally during the night.
Your doctor will set the original air pressure on your ASV. This “smart” machine has technology that allows it to change how much air pressure it gives you and how often to keep your airways open so you can breathe.

It's like the machine isn't even there. It senses when I exhale and doesn't keep tying to push air at me. I think I'm going to like it. I use the 'nose cradle' type silicone mask. I can still touch my face almost anywhere. I was surprised how small the mask actually is.

Reactions: PaigeCherubiel
One year into my diagnosis.

I’ve been using the resmed 10. It’s perfect

Really it’s all about getting the right mask size/ shape/kind. Took a month to get used to sleeping with it but once you’re through that it’s great.

My AHI was 30 before, now it’s 1.2. Only missed 6 nights in a year.

Biggest difference is when I’m sick I can still have good sleeps. Pre mask my AHI must’ve gone through the roof during sickness because my partner would freak out about me not breathing.

One side effect is that because I sleep through the night now, my bedwetting frequency increased dramatically! From once per week to 3-4 nights per week. Thankfully I’m a DL to boot

I Have been using a Resmed 10 Auto set for just over 2 months now, and can't sleep without it.
It took 3 years of friends and family telling me I should get a sleep study done.
I did the in home sleep study.
I stopped breathing up to 90 times an hour for up to 45 sec, and my blood/Ox dropped as low as 55%
I got a trial machine for the first month, and after the first night my AHI dropped to 3.06 and blood/Ox going no lower than 84%
I now have my own machine of the same model

If you want to see the data from your machine and it has a SD card there is an open source CPAP analysis reporter called OSCAR
I love looking at the data
If you want to know more about OSCAR let me know

Blacksmith said:
I Have been using a Resmed 10 Auto set for just over 2 months now, and can't sleep without it.
It took 3 years of friends and family telling me I should get a sleep study done.
I did the in home sleep study.
I stopped breathing up to 90 times an hour for up to 45 sec, and my blood/Ox dropped as low as 55%
I got a trial machine for the first month, and after the first night my AHI dropped to 3.06 and blood/Ox going no lower than 84%
I now have my own machine of the same model

If you want to see the data from your machine and it has a SD card there is an open source CPAP analysis reporter called OSCAR
Same machine I've got! That's awesome that you got the sleep study done. 55% is scary low.

Wish the OSCAR data could tell me when I wet my nappy too lol

Been wearing one for twenty yrs

drynitesxl said:
Same machine I've got! That's awesome that you got the sleep study done. 55% is scary low.

it is neat to see exactly when you fall asleep
I also can see that sleep was poorer on some nights
my brother who will be a dentist said 27% is where the body starts shutting down

I've worn one for over 20 years and also can't sleep without one.

DiaperedCherub said:
Copied from Web MD
ASV is similar to continuous positive air pressure (CPAP) devices, but it’s a newer technology. These devices track how you breathe while you sleep. They react to your breathing pattern and adjust air pressure to help you breathe more normally during the night.
Your doctor will set the original air pressure on your ASV. This “smart” machine has technology that allows it to change how much air pressure it gives you and how often to keep your airways open so you can breathe.

It's like the machine isn't even there. It senses when I exhale and doesn't keep tying to push air at me. I think I'm going to like it. I use the 'nose cradle' type silicone mask. I can still touch my face almost anywhere. I was surprised how small the mask actually is.
ASV is considered to be a less invasive ventilator. Meaning it can actually breathe for you forcing air and out of your lungs. It sounds like you are describing a Auto CPAP. Also unlike a CPAP that keeps the airway inflated so you can breath it is used to treat more severe cases of central sleep apnea not obstructive. Central apnea has nothing to do with your airway closing. It is when your brain forgets to tell your body to breath and is far more serious. Everyone can have a little of central along with obstructive but any real amount of it is something neurological. Almost all of mine is central. I have been using a Auto CPAP for almost a year and for the last 4 months they have been trying to get my insurance to pay for the ASV. As I am still having about 40 some events of central per hour. Far less than the 70 seome with out any support. I have also used bipap. ASV is the most expensive and advanced machines.

Anyway don't take me at word or nothing I am not a doctor. Just someone that my last sleep study got 2 1/2 minutes of rem sleep is 6 hours and no stage 3 sleep at all. That is With the CPAP on in a in patient sleep lab. My doctor explained them all in detail as I have now slept on all machines.

I have had 3 studies in the last year. My first one my O2 was as low as 54. It still gets into the 80s and my doctor is concerned I am doing brain damage every night. But Humana sure does not seem to give a flip. But even the little help my A CPAP gives is night and day difference in my sleep as I have both obstructive and central. Obstructive is what most people have as basically your throat muscles relax to much in sleep and your air way closes off. So a positive pressure holds it open. Like air in a tire.

Reactions: ElPulpo
Blacksmith said:
I didn't know that. That's way cool! I'll have to look at mine and see if it has that.
Diaperman95 said:
It sounds like you are describing a Auto CPAP. Also unlike a CPAP that keeps the airway inflated so you can breath it is used to treat more severe cases of central sleep apnea not obstructive.
The machine I was perscribed is an ASV. That much I do know.
Diaperman95 said:
Central apnea has nothing to do with your airway closing. It is when your brain forgets to tell your body to breath and is far more serious.
That's exactly whats happening with me. I had an AHI of central apnea of 32. When my wife first noticed it, it scared the crap out if her. Last few days I've been 1.7 and .2, so it's made a huge difference for me.

Diaperman95 said:
As I am still having about 40 some events of central per hour.
Wow! That is scary!

Diaperman95 said:
It still gets into the 80s and my doctor is concerned I am doing brain damage every night. But Humana sure does not seem to give a flip.
The place I work was aquired by a larger business, hence new insurance company. This new insurance got me this machine in just a few days! I went in to the office for a follow up and walked out with the machine. I got to try on several masks for comfort & fit. The last insurance gave me a SUPER CRAPPY full face mask and dasically said tough luck.
I agree, insurance plays a big part as these machines aren't cheap. I also don't like how insurance can dictate to the doctors what they can & can't do.

drynitesxl said:
Thay's funny if it can,LOL

DiaperedCherub said:
I just went through a sleep study and was informed I have central sleep apnea. So, I got an ASV ( Adaptive-servo ventilation) sleep machine. I was concerned that I would hate the thing with a passion. I've only had it for 3 days, already I am very surprised at how comfortable and easy to use it is.
So I'm curious, who else has a sleep machine (CPAP, BiPAP or ASV)? Have you noticed any changes in yourself (more energy, not waking up tired all the time, ect).
I’ve been using a BiPAP for a couple of years. On the suggestion of a friend, I started with a nose-pillow mask when I first got it and had zero problems. Nowadays, I can’t get to sleep at night without it. I was still plagued with having to get up 4 - 5x a night to pee but wearing a diaper and plastic pants mostly fixed that so now I sleep through the night (and wake up warm and wet as a bonus).

Reactions: DiaperedCherub and PaigeCherubiel
Blacksmith said:
I looked at my machine and it does have an SD card slot. Yes I am very interested in seeing the nightly report. How do I get the reports so I can see them
Last several days my AHI has been 1.8, 1.7 and .2

DiaperedCherub said:
I looked at my machine and it does have an SD card slot. Yes I am very interested in seeing the nightly report. How do I get the reports so I can see them
Last several days my AHI has been 1.8, 1.7 and .2
Here is the link to OSCAR

I have mild sleep apnea so I am in the process of getting one. I am just waiting on insurance to do it's thing and then figure out what i am approved to use.

I use a C-PAP and I sleep better

Back