Should I tell nurses I like to wear diapers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumi

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
So, I really have to go to a nursing home after 1-3 weeks, for I have mental illnesses. Before that I will live at my parents’ and then in young people’s home where there is a nurse or someone like that daytime but nightly and in weekends clients are alone. I will not tell about ABDL to them since it’ll be so short time, I can pretend to be ”normal”. But I wondered about nursing home...

It’s meant to be a long-term solution, I don’t know if they meant months or years. It would be difficult to be without diapers that long. Should I tell a nurse I like to wear at night even though I don’t physically need to? Or tell the truth, that I like to wear part of the day and all night and use sometimes too? Or tell nothing but buy diapers secretly and wear/use without anyone knowing, if that were possible? That would be quite risky, maybe. Or perhaps I just should bury that part of me for some time. But it would hurt a lot. I feel anxious and sad already.

What’s the worst that can happen? Being like this is not a crime. But I guess they might think I’m really, really crazy and in need of more therapy(well, I like therapies but not about this subject!).

What about telling about being an adult baby? They’d surely notice things, like stuffed animals, toy figures, animal bodies, childish Chewigem chewellry(I use them a bit like pacis, more acceptable in public), such little stuff I will have with me. So it might be more ”natural” discussion, particularly if I didn’t tell about pacifiers or baby toy collection etc. more ”extreme”. So they’d think I’m just childish and a bit eccentric almost-aspie.

I’d be happy to hear your opinions and possible experiences. At first I thought about hiding everything, I still might but I want to think about other options too. I’m an adult so whatever I choose to do nurses can’t tell my family, right? :chin:

Last edited:
I don't believe attempting for long term abstinence from diapers will work, so somehow- sooner or later- you are going to have to find a way to get diapers in the nursing home.

I don't believe attempting to sneak them is going to work either. The whole point of a nursing home is for nurses to watch over you like hawks. You've also ready mentioned before you doubt you'd be able to hide your supplies too. And that's let alone wearing a diaper.

That really only leaves you with the logical option of telling them. Though telling them by lying in any way is bound to backfire on you. It may seem like a good option now, but it will turn much worse later when they figure out you lied and can't be trusted. So staying honest about them is the only real option you have.

And so what if the nurse wants you to talk to a psychiatrist over your diapers. If that person has a proper degree then I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. Heck, if anything that therapist would probably be able to help you to be more accepting and open with tthis part of who you are.

Slomo said:
I don't believe attempting for long term abstinence from diapers will work, so somehow- sooner or later- you are going to have to find a way to get diapers in the nursing home.

I don't believe attempting to sneak them is going to work either. The whole point of a nursing home is for nurses to watch over you like hawks. You've also ready mentioned before you doubt you'd be able to hide your supplies too. And that's let alone wearing a diaper.

That really only leaves you with the logical option of telling them. Though telling them by lying in any way is bound to backfire on you. It may seem like a good option now, but it will turn much worse later when they figure out you lied and can't be trusted. So staying honest about them is the only real option you have.

And so what if the nurse wants you to talk to a psychiatrist over your diapers. If that person has a proper degree then I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. Heck, if anything that therapist would probably be able to help you to be more accepting and open with tthis part of who you are.

Thanks for answering:)

Yeah, I guess I don’t really have a choice. You’re right, it’d be impossible to smuggle big packages from post office(wherever such happened to be. I don’t even know what city/town I’ll end up).

I really don’t know how to lie. I’m able to leave out details, but real lying - not easy. And yeah, lying is bound to backfire anyway. I guess I’ll have to figure out a way to discuss the problem. Maybe when a nurse asks how I’m doing in the new place I could start by saying ”I miss my kind-of hobby. It’s probably not possible here and it used to help me feel calmer and happier.” Then (s)he would ask for details, which would help me open up. Or something like that.

Does anyone have better ways to start talking? Or some good tips for the big discussion? What to say, what not to say? Does this site have a page about coming out?

You could always just tell them that diapers help you cope with whatever you're dealing with (the reason for going in the first place). The worst they could do is either allow them or not allow them. I think if they know it's an emotional thing, they may allow it. It really depends on how strict the nurses are.

I always tell people to do a bit of self research, and try to figure out exactly what diapers mean to you individually. Write down any thoughts you have on it, as well as write out what you would like to tell others when explaining it. You don't have to give them that letter, but can if you think it will help.

More importantly though, the letter will help you gather your thoughts, and in a way give you some self-practice and preperation for when you do try to explain it later on.

Lumi said:
Thanks for answering:)

Yeah, I guess I don’t really have a choice. You’re right, it’d be impossible to smuggle big packages from post office(wherever such happened to be. I don’t even know what city/town I’ll end up).

I really don’t know how to lie. I’m able to leave out details, but real lying - not easy. And yeah, lying is bound to backfire anyway. I guess I’ll have to figure out a way to discuss the problem. Maybe when a nurse asks how I’m doing in the new place I could start by saying ”I miss my kind-of hobby. It’s probably not possible here and it used to help me feel calmer and happier.” Then (s)he would ask for details, which would help me open up. Or something like that.

Does anyone have better ways to start talking? Or some good tips for the big discussion? What to say, what not to say? Does this site have a page about coming out?

I'm sorry to hear you are going have to be in a nursing home.

I'm not sure what your nurses are going to be like, over here in the US there are nurses who are doing the job for the wrong reasons and should just leave nursing. If you don't have that problem over there that's awesome. Either way, it's not really up to the nurses. They have to pretty much follow what your doctor will let them do. I'll be him/her that'll have to discuss this with if you want to really continue to use diapers.

I agree with Slomo on the lying to them on your condition - not advisable.

maybe you should just show up to the nursing home wearing a diaper and carrying a pack of them withyour other belongings. and when someone asks, you just say i wear diapers to make me feel better. if that is how you start out it may just work out fine

Since you will be in a nursing home because of mental illness, why not tell your psychiatrist/psychologist? They may see wearing diapers as a way of coping.

I used to work in a nursing home (though for the elderly, not mental illness), and I can tell you that just about any nurse has felt with lots of people who wear diapers out of necessity. Diapers are nothing unusual in a nursing home. As your case is a bit different, I would be open and explain that it is your preference and that you feel more secure when wearing diapers. There is a good chance that if you are honest and open that the facility might be able to provide you with diapers, although they will almost certainly be cheap and low absorbing hospital diapers. If you are able to aquire your own while in the home I'm sure they'd let you after explaining the situation. Temember, it is not a prison. The nurses are there to help you and make you feel comfortable. Some of them might find it odd that a person with no incontinence issues would prefer diapers, but I can assure you that they have seen weirder things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back