Seeking Support and Advice in a challenging toxic emotionally unsupportive Family Environment.

TheDiaperB0Y said:
@ShyGirl91
Thank you so much for sharing your own experiences and offering your kind and sincere words of encouragement. I truly appreciate your understanding.

It's inspiring to hear that you took a risk and pursued your master's degree in a field that truly interests you. Your story gives me hope and reinforces the idea that I deserve to be happy and live a life that is separate from my parents' expectations. I understand that it won't be an easy path, but your words remind me that it's worth it to break free from the toxicity of my family and pursue what truly fulfills me.

You're absolutely right that life is short, and it's important to make the most of the time we have. I don't want to spend my days stuck in a miserable job that doesn't align with my values, passions and aspirations. Your perspective on fulfillment versus financial gain resonates deeply with me, and I am grateful for your reminder that true happiness comes from pursuing what we love.

It's tough not having a supportive environment, but knowing that there are people like you and some of the kind people within the AB/DL community who understand and empathize with my situation brings me comfort. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. They mean a lot to me. 💕😇💕
You are so welcome! 🫶🩷 I'm glad you feel supported here. I'm also glad you are feeling encouraged! Yes, while I do say, "dare to dream", I've been learning to "dare to act". We will never live that dream unless we dare to act. 💕 Don't hesitate to reach out if you ever need a listening ear! 😊

Reactions: TheDiaperB0Y
ShyGirl91 said:
It is scary to go outside of what you're used to because, in a way, it's "safe". I was scared crapless when I made that first step to go another path. I questioned myself repeatedly and, for a while, I "heard", "What are you thinking pursuing this career?", "Who do you think you are to ever believe you could do this?", "You're going to fail", "They'll say 'I told you so'", ad nauseum. I forced myself to push through it and dismiss those "voices", the critical, demeaning, harsh words that came from an abusive upbringing.
You can do it! 💕 Xx
@ShyGirl91

You're absolutely right, stepping out of our comfort zones can be terrifying. It's natural to feel a sense of safety in what we're used to, even if it's toxic. I can relate to the doubts and fears that arise when considering a different path. The inner voices that question our worth and abilities can be overwhelming. They echo the critical and demeaning words we've internalized from our emotionally neglectful abusive upbringing. It takes strength and determination to push through those voices and believe in ourselves.

It gives me hope that I can pull myself out of this depression situation knowing someone else has faced similar challenges and found the courage to pursue their own path.
I believe that I can do it too with the right attitude, mindset & support network. Although it won't be easy, I'm willing to push through the fear and ignore the negative voices. 😊

• Love
Reactions: Angelapinks and ShyGirl91
Chloris said:
@TheDiaperB0Y

In my experience..
The best thing I did was leave home (16)..
living there, It's a dynamic, where You will always be the kid and they will always be right..

If you plan on college, maby suggest a major in what you want, and a minor in what they want (just to make them happy)..

But once you get your freedom (yes it's a struggle).. you will feel better within yourself.. (once again that's just my opinion) I wish you luck and hope everything will be well for you soon
@Chloris
Thank you so much for sharing your experience and offering your kind and sincere advice. It means a lot to me.

It must have been tough leaving home at 16, but I can see how it brought you independence and freedom. It's true that living with toxic family dynamics can perpetuate a dynamic where you always feel like the child and they always believe they are right. Our well-being depends on breaking free of that cycle.

I appreciate your suggestion of finding a compromise with my parents regarding college. However, I think I'd be better off going back to school for something I love and defining my own path without giving my parents any leverage by needing their approval.

Your words of encouragement and support mean a lot to me. The journey to freedom and self-fulfillment may be challenging, but I believe it will be worth it once I manage to pursue my happiness.

Your experience resonates with me, and it gives me hope that I can find that sense of inner peace and happiness once I have the freedom to live my own life without relying on the approval of my toxic family or any external validation.

Thank you for your well wishes and the kindness you've shown me.
I truly appreciate it. 💕😊💕

Reactions: Chloris and Angelapinks
TheDiaperB0Y said:
@ShyGirl91

You're absolutely right, stepping out of our comfort zones can be terrifying. It's natural to feel a sense of safety in what we're used to, even if it's toxic. I can relate to the doubts and fears that arise when considering a different path. The inner voices that question our worth and abilities can be overwhelming. They echo the critical and demeaning words we've internalized from our emotionally neglectful abusive upbringing. It takes strength and determination to push through those voices and believe in ourselves.

It gives me hope that I can pull myself out of this depression situation knowing someone else has faced similar challenges and found the courage to pursue their own path.
I believe that I can do it too with the right attitude, mindset & support network. Although it won't be easy, I'm willing to push through the fear and ignore the negative voices. 😊
The fact that you've come this far and still have your goals and dreams tells me you are stronger than you probably give yourself credit for and that same determination you've had to survive and keep going will carry you far in your pursuits if you allow it. 🩷 I don't know you but I'm proud of you and am rooting for you! *hugs*

Reactions: Chloris, Angelapinks and TheDiaperB0Y
Kbaby84 said:
Hey Baby Teddy,

I get all that and have been throu so much. That is one of the hardest things when becoming an adult and having to take that step. You know you and know what you want in life. My encouragement is never stop pursueing your dreams. We all have different obsticles in our lives, but belive in yourself and chase your dreams. You have one life to live live it for you and should you choose to build a life with someone else, build that together. Family is family and when it is truely an unconditional love they will eventualy come around and congradulate you.

I have come so far in my life and have been told by many that I vould not succeed. The hardest part is when it is family telling you that. Any father wants whats best for his children in most cases, but get blinded by our own ways sometime. Those choices are some of the most difficult, just know you are not alone. You ever want to chat, feel free to reach out.
@Kbaby84
I really appreciate your kind and sincere response. This community has been so encouraging and supportive.

Taking that step into adulthood and pursuing our dreams can be extremely challenging, especially when faced with unsupportive family dynamics. I really appreciate your words of encouragement. Keeping our dreams alive and believing in ourselves is essential. We all face different obstacles in life, but with determination and self-belief, we can overcome them and create the life we truly desire.

It's comforting to know that I'm not alone in this journey. I appreciate the support of the AB/DL community and the understanding from others who have faced similar challenges. Family dynamics can be complicated, and it can be disappointing when those closest to us don't fully understand our emotional needs or support our choices. However, your reminder that unconditional love eventually prevails and that families may come around and congratulate us is a beacon of hope.

Even though I'd love to one day earn my family's respect, I still have to learn to live without their approval or admiration to live my life with peace of mind.

I admire your resilience and what you've accomplished despite many people telling you you wouldn't succeed. It is especially difficult when family members doubt us. Your words serve as a reminder that we should trust our own instincts and strive for our own happiness.

Thank you for offering your support and the invitation to reach out.
I might take you up on that offer once I reactivate my Fetlife account and rejoin Discord & Telegram.

Once again, thank you so much for being so kind and encouraging. It gives me strength and hopes to know I'm not alone and that people have faced similar obstacles in life as I try to navigate my own path. 💕😊💕

Reactions: Chloris
ShyGirl91 said:
The fact that you've come this far and still have your goals and dreams tells me you are stronger than you probably give yourself credit for and that same determination you've had to survive and keep going will carry you far in your pursuits if you allow it. 🩷 I don't know you but I'm proud of you and am rooting for you! *hugs*

Thank you so much @ShyGirl91,
it means a lot to have the support of the community. *Hugs*

The problem was so deeply rooted in childhood emotional trauma and a neglectful family environment that it took me years to realize the only way to find peace was to escape and embrace my true authentic self.

Reactions: Chloris and ShyGirl91
TheDiaperB0Y said:
Hello there fellow AB/DL’s

I'm reaching out because I'm currently facing a great deal of emotional distress while living back at home with my toxic family.
I apologize in advance for the length of this message, but it's important for me to express my feelings and seek guidance from someone who can understand my struggles.

At the age of 28, I had hoped to have created a healthier and happier life for myself, but unfortunately, I feel trapped in a cycle of depression and misery due to the toxic dynamics within my family. Throughout my adult life, I have suffered from major depression, and it has been particularly difficult because my family members have not been supportive. They tend to perceive my emotional and mental struggles as weaknesses that make me lazy, criticizing both my ADHD and depression. Their constant remarks labeling me as immature and pathetic for being unable to focus due to my mental health have been truly frustrating.

My parents, in particular, are emotionally neglectful and lack the ability to be attuned to my emotional needs. Whenever I express my distress, they respond dismissively, often resorting to anger and criticism instead of offering understanding or emotional support. This has left me feeling isolated and yearning for emotional warmth and connection. Their closed-off approach to emotions has greatly hindered my own emotional growth, leading to a low stress tolerance and a tendency to prioritize immediate gratification without considering the consequences of my actions.

Lately, the stress and depression have intensified due to a complicated situation involving my father's insistence that I pursue a career in construction. While it is the only industry he knows and believes to be sustainable and successful, I have expressed my deep dissatisfaction with that line of work. Whenever I have pursued my dreams or passions, my family has criticized and belittled my aspirations, considering them pointless. They expect me to accept what my father has given me without question.

To make matters more challenging, I have access to a college trust fund that could enable me to return to school. However, my parents are reluctant to let me use that money to study psychology or attend a music production program in California. They doubt my ability to succeed in college unless I study business management or construction management, according to my father's demands.

Escaping my family's toxic environment and moving out west has been a lifelong desire of mine. However, I find myself currently unemployed and without any income, feeling trapped in a living situation with my bipolar, OCD mother, who struggles with hoarding.

Furthermore, my family has relentlessly harassed and criticized me for not being emotionally stable enough to maintain a job due to emotional burnout and stress. Much of my emotional trauma stems from my parents' emotional unavailability and distance during my upbringing. I often felt unseen and misunderstood as they prioritized their own lives. My father, in particular, has been a very driven parent, discounting my feelings and avoiding emotional intimacy. Expressing emotions makes him uncomfortable, and he has associated it with weakness and shame. The two of us rarely speak anymore since every conversation turns into an argument over how pathetic I am to him.

I share all of this with the community since I know that many individuals have also experienced similar toxic family dynamics and emotionally neglectful environments.
I’m hoping to find some understanding, guidance, and support. I feel overwhelmed by the weight of my circumstances and the emotional toll it has taken on me. If you have any advice or suggestions on how I can navigate this challenging situation and work toward creating a healthier and more fulfilling life, I would be immensely grateful.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and for the lovely comforting support of the AB/DL community & peoples understanding.

Warm regards,
Little Baby Teddy
First of all I think you need to talk to a Legal Aid lawyer to see if they can help you get the Trust fund for the schooling you want. This situation is not helping your mental state and may also be making it worse. Is that what they want for you ? Yes you need a clean break as it seems unles you follow your fathers dreams they will not be supportive of you in any way and that is just sad. I know how you feel in some ways as my family was a little like that when I was growing up. From age 11 onward I told them I was really a girl and wanted to take dance lessons (Ballet) of course this set my father off in a big way as he was British Air Force and believed in a military style upbringing. After talking with my doctor who had already talked with my parents, they all said they would send me to a mental Institution if I didn't buck up and fly right. No support there so I had to try and go with the flow but also do my own thing. I never went to talk with a Mental health professional about my feelings and Transgender was something that seemed to be only in Europe at the time with doctors only just learning about it. Although I lived at home until I was 20, I stayed away from my dad as much as possible and slowly my mother seemed to see the real me and teach me girly things like cooking sewing Crochet and knitting and she never critisized my clothing as being too girly. I wish you well in the future and hope you can find some support somewhere. My family did slowly come around a little bit but it took years of me proving I knew who I was and proving I could make it on my own while still keeping family in the picture.

Last edited:
TheDiaperB0Y said:
Thank you so much @ShyGirl91,
it means a lot to have the support of the community. *Hugs*

The problem was so deeply rooted in childhood emotional trauma and a neglectful family environment that it took me years to realize the only way to find peace was to escape and embrace my true authentic self.
Yes, it is a process! It's good, though, that you recognize this because, often, narcissistic abusers are good at convincing a person they aren't being abused and that the abused are the problem. When the abused can't see they are trapped, they can't escape because they can't see what's going on. Thank God that I came to this realization because, had I not, I could have very well repeated the vicious cycle I do not want to pass to future generations and also been stuck, going the direction my family wanted for me rather than what I felt led to do in my life apart from their say so.

Reactions: LePew and TheDiaperB0Y
Im really sorry to hear about your situation. I know how it feels being stuck in that situation where you dont have a practical means to run away from toxic family members who dont make an effort to understand you emotionally. And its very hard to grow as a person when you have to deal with their bad influences. Its just emotionally taxing overall...

All I can say is figure out a way to move out, away from their negative influence. This IMO, is the only way you'll be able to make a positive change for yourself and grow as a person. Unfortunately, you will need to find a good paying job to support yourself. Wish theres more advice I can give, but Im not the best when it comes to career advice. Whatever career you end up pursuing, good luck and hope it will work out for your situation

Angelapinks said:
First of all I think you need to talk to a Legal Aid lawyer to see if they can help you get the Trust fund for the schooling you want. This situation is not helping your mental state and may also be making it worse. Is that what they want for you ? Yes you need a clean break as it seems unles you follow your fathers dreams they will not be supportive of you in any way and that is just sad. I know how you feel in some ways as my family was a little like that when I was growing up. From age 11 onward I told them I was really a girl and wanted to take dance lessons (Ballet) of course this set my father off in a big way as he was British Air Force and believed in a military style upbringing. After talking with my doctor who had already talked with my parents, they all said they would send me to a mental Institution if I didn't buck up and fly right. No support there so I had to try and go with the flow but also do my own thing. I never went to talk with a Mental health professional about my feelings and Transgender was something that seemed to be only in Europe at the time with doctors only just learning about it. Although I lived at home until I was 20, I stayed away from my dad as much as possible and slowly my mother seemed to see the real me and teach me girly things like cooking sewing Crochet and knitting and she never critisized my clothing as being too girly. I wish you well in the future and hope you can find some support somewhere. My family did slowly come around a little bit but it took years of me proving I knew who I was and proving I could make it on my own while still keeping family in the picture.
@Angelapinks

Thank you so much for your kind and sincere response. I truly appreciate the support I've found within this community, including yours.

While I have considered seeking legal assistance to access my trust fund, I fear that it would only worsen the situation with my family. In an ideal scenario, I would sit down with my parents and try to convince them to participate in family therapy sessions with a therapist, aiming to minimize the arguments and improve communication. However, given that my parents are divorced, I'm uncertain if my dad or mom would be willing to agree to counseling.

My older siblings have suggested a couple of options. One is to find a compromise with my father and return to work in construction for him, even though it doesn't align with my true passions. The other option is to focus on building up my own savings and taking out a college loan. If I succeed in college, there's a possibility that my dad might be more willing to offer support.

Taking care of my own well-being means asserting my own aspirations and gaining independence from the toxic dynamics at home. It's discouraging to feel unsupported in pursuing my dreams, and I acknowledge that this situation may be contributing to my depression. I understand the importance of prioritizing my own growth and happiness, even if it means breaking away from my family's expectations.

I'm sorry to hear that you also experienced a lack of support from your family while growing up. It's unfortunate when parents don't embrace and encourage their children's authentic selves. I can relate to your journey and the challenges you faced.

In fact, I've also been grappling with my gender identity. While I don't consider myself transgender, I believe I may be gender fluid. I've always had a desire to express myself as a Femboy, embracing the Kawaii Japanese style of cute fashion and pastel-colored clothes that resonate with both my AB/DL persona and my Sissy side. However, I often feel embarrassed because I don't have the "ideal" body figure to fully embrace the Femboy aesthetic. Growing up, I enjoyed dressing up and embracing my femininity, but I was often met with negativity from my childhood friends & parents who had a narrow view of masculinity. I faced bullying for simply painting my nails, wearing eyeliner, and loving artists like Hannah Montana, the Jonas Brothers, and Avril Lavigne.

Finding a way to navigate societal expectations while staying true to oneself is indeed a delicate balance. Your courage in embracing your gender identity and dressing as you like without shame or embarrassment is inspiring. I wish I had the same courage to fully embrace my own true self.
The gradual acceptance and support you got from your mom are heartwarming, showing that change can happen over time.

I really appreciate your well wishes and encouragement. It's reassuring to know that even if families may not fully understand or accept us immediately, there is hope for greater understanding and acceptance in the long run. I will continue to strive for my own happiness, proving to myself and others that I can create a fulfilling life while trying to keep family connections intact, even if it means establishing necessary boundaries. Even though I want to cut off all communication with my family, I don't know if I could.

My older brother said
Show them kindness and empathy, show them you can be happy without them, and smother them with your own kindness.
All they want is for you to be safe
”.

Once again, thank you so much for your kindness and for sharing your own experiences. I really appreciate your words.

• Love
Reactions: Angelapinks and ShyBoo81
Back