RV Life - Did you buy the right Unit for your needs? Part 2

Fancypants2001

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
***Last weekend I purchased my 2nd in 3 years camper. RV. Travel Trailer to be absolutely clear. Why - you ask?***

That was some good input so far. Sorry for the lack of "Boats" to the poll.

A common storyline for new camper owners is that they make a first purchase based on impulse and limited by their budget.

After having this Flagstaff Microlite for 2 whole camping seasons it became apparent to us that despite this being an incredibly nice RV, it did lack a few of the creature comforts that we overlooked and mentally dismissed as not important. I think we were just so eager to jump into the ownership at the amazing price that Camping World was offering it for. To their credit, they did honor a price match of $19,995. on a suggested MSRP $31,995. I actually had to get this ordered from the factory and the build sheet came out to that MSRP.

Over the course of those 2 seasons, we went on 9 trips within a 3hrs drive. The places we stayed were state Parks in S. Wisconsin. Wisconsin does a phenomenal job with their states. Their online portals typically also have a street view so you can get a better gauge of whether you can literally maneuver your RV into the site.

The thing we had to develop with RV floorplan was an outside living space as well. I literally mean a screened-in tent to put the table and chairs because the inside didn't have that. The bugs are always an issue no matter where you go. We don't "Yard Guard" or try to kill off nature for our comfort either, so the screened tent was season 2 life saver..

The refrigerator was a huge pain in the ass. It's a gas/electric. The propane cannot run it while going down the road, so food always warmed up. We had to use freezer packs and carry a cooler for beer. Just a straight irritation. Thankfully the industry is going to the 12VDC fridges as a standard.

Separation between the bed and the rest of the camper also became a thing. My girl likes to wake up and do yoga and make her coffee. I like to lounge a big longer and maybe watch the morning news. This one only has a drape. That isn't much for the physical separation.

Again, like I said. A booth to sit down and rest your elbows. A table to play cards at. Stare intimately into one another's eyes while eating a helping of pork and beans. lol.. Yeah, I was adamant about the table. Not to mention, if there is inclement weather. You are still resigned to the couch and tv trays. That gets old real fast. It gets old having to set up all the time instead of being there ready to slide into and use.

I spent a lot of time in 2022 watching Youtube trying to figure out just what was out there that might be a better fit for us. I was taking into consideration the towing capacity of my half-ton and the need / desire to get a 3/4Ton. I finally settled on this beauty. A Grand Design Imagine XLS 23LDE. Thankfully my local amping World didn't carry this model line! I found a 2022 model at a dealer not too far down the road from us. It was the last one offered. We decided to make a road trip so that we could actually stand in it to see whether it was in fact all the things I thought it was going to be. The instant you show interest in anything vehicle related online you will be inundated with salepeople. Just an FYI. Tread lightly!! I was set up with an appointment with a saleperson who would be able to show us this unit. We walked in and immediately realized this was the floorplan for our future needs!! It has a booth. It has recliners across from the booth. The recliner is big enough for a smaller human to crash on as a couch. The table drops down to convert to a bed for the shortest of humans. It has a separated bedroom. It has the rectangle shower. The coolest thing is that the kitchen is the whole back end. Best of all it has a 12VDC refrigerator and a 165W roof solar for maintaining the battery mostly for the fridge. No more stress for travel and spoiled food!!

This MSRP was $46, 000. The dealer dropped the price to 40k. They gave me 21k trade in for mine sight unseen ( it is in storage until mid-April ) based on my "word". They would store the camper on their lot until I get mine out and we make the hand-off. Hell, they even bought our lunch at the brewery next door and tripled the cost. They really did an amazing job of making everything happen. This is a dealer called General RV. They have numerous locations across the Midwest.

So, yeah, we did a thing. Signed over title, out the door, I was back up to a $26k loan. Yes - loan. 2x the camper. The GVWR on this one is 5695#. My truck is.. well, idk at this point!! haha. I have the door plate that shows 7k pounds. Idk. So, here we have the newest RV. The rig has everything I would consider sustainable for inside or outside living.

*These are stock Google Pics.

This is the dude I really put stock into his videos. "Josh the RV Nerd" We almost went with Bish's RV, but they were 90mi away in Iowa. Next closest was Michigan. we really would have road tripped. Thankfully General RV was close to us.

Attachments

• 1_2182_3248606_175213812.jpg
    1_2182_3248606_175213812.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 7
  • main.jpg
    main.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: ShyBoo81 and Edgewater
well, here we go @Zeke .

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater and Zeke
Fancypants2001 said:
well, here we go @Zeke .
Wow, just wow! And I thought it was a big deal when I bought the tent that attaches to my Jetta SportWagen. Of course there wasn’t that large of a loan involved!

Reactions: chamberpot, Edgewater and Fancypants2001
I don't own a camper or a boat (though my dad has a nice boat [48' aft] that I see when going to Florida). For campers I just rent one. Cheaper and easy driving. They have a nice shower, TV and internet. Perfect.

Reactions: Fancypants2001 and Edgewater
Fancypants2001 said:
well, here we go @Zeke .
Thanks, Fancypants2001, for getting that part 2 Jonesing monkey off my back! You could’ve kept me in suspense, but you didn’t. I may have more feline genetic material than I thought!

• Haha
Truly a well conceived floor plan and build-out.
Love your use of an outside area that extends your use and limits life with the bugs.
Congratulations on your new RV!

Edgewater said:
Truly a well conceived floor plan and build-out.
Yes agreed. The new one really is a groovy layout with the kitchen along the back. There are SOOO many floor plans among all the different manufacturers. It really was painstaking research. I was all set on one design for months. Then another came up on my radar and I was certain that was the right one. We went to "My local Camping World" to get the eyes-on. It was after a piddly afternoon rain shower and there was literally water on the counter of this new unit. The damn thing was leaking from the factory after only a few months on the lot.
Edgewater said:
Love your use of an outside area that extends your use and limits life with the bugs.
Yeah for sure. We hve come to learn that there are not many rules to RV'ing. If you can pack it and set it up, well, then you can make it part of your experience. It all comes down to how much crap you want to haul with you. This was what I meant for an additional tentage just to exist among the flying blood sucking beasts!
We'll continue to set this up when we are in a bad area. This was a SP in SW Wisconsin close to the Mississippi River. The mosquitos were so thick here. Walking through the grass you would disturb the millions of them to take flight and ATTACK! hahaha

Attachments

• 20210911_102342.jpg
    20210911_102342.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: Edgewater and ShyBoo81
Congrats! I am also an avid camper!! I have a 19' Hybrid Travel Trailer. I've booked 5 trips already, here in Ontario it's fierce; people are up at 7AM to book sites once they become available for booking (5 months in advance) at Provincial Parks.

I run my fridge using propane while I drive o_O

Happy Camping 2023!!!!!!!!!!!!

neophyte said:
I run my fridge using propane while I drive o_O
NAUGHTY naughty!!! lol.. I could never get mine to fire up to run down the road, TBH. idk what I was doing wrong, but I could never get it going without being hooked up to electric. I was told it was due to being unlevel - We were hooked and that was the last thing to do before stepping off. Was frustrating.
neophyte said:
Happy Camping 2023!!!!!!!!!!!!
Five is a good amount for a season!! I think we have as many scheduled so far. Are Provincial Parks on the.. ok, nm.. I was going to ask, but we have States and you have Provinces. I answered my own question! haha. It sure is a heckuva deal trying to book sites. Wisconsin SP system is very intuitive. They have all the simple drop downs and besides the site map they also show a street view. So far the SP showers have been clean and free of pee smell. Definitely approve and would recommend that states parks. We can book 11mo out and like you said, we were up at midnight to reserve a couple right next to each other for an annual family RV camping.

Reactions: Edgewater
Fancypants2001 said:
Yes agreed. The new one really is a groovy layout with the kitchen along the back. There are SOOO many floor plans among all the different manufacturers. It really was painstaking research. I was all set on one design for months. Then another came up on my radar and I was certain that was the right one. We went to "My local Camping World" to get the eyes-on. It was after a piddly afternoon rain shower and there was literally water on the counter of this new unit. The damn thing was leaking from the factory after only a few months on the lot.

Yeah for sure. We hve come to learn that there are not many rules to RV'ing. If you can pack it and set it up, well, then you can make it part of your experience. It all comes down to how much crap you want to haul with you. This was what I meant for an additional tentage just to exist among the flying blood sucking beasts!
We'll continue to set this up when we are in a bad area. This was a SP in SW Wisconsin close to the Mississippi River. The mosquitos were so thick here. Walking through the grass you would disturb the millions of them to take flight and ATTACK! hahaha
The misquotes in Wisconsin are truly mild compared to those that I ran into in Alaska. When I would unload on the North Slope during the 24 hours of daylight in the summer I wouldn’t get out of the truck without a thick long sleeve shirt, gloves, scarf, and a full face ski mask to keep everything covered if the wind wasn’t blowing at least 15 mph. With all that tundra thawed for the first couple of feet down it was the perfect wet ground for misquote larvae to be laid and hatched. The beasts were at least as large as your thumbnail and there are cases of grizzly bears being killed by them. They fly in swarms that appear as black waves and are so thick that they plug the bears airways suffocating them to death. So I’ve come to consider myself lucky to only have to deal with those of my native Wisconsin as of late.

Right on @Zeke. I take no stock in Bug Sprays either. I can't handle the buzzing or dive bombing. I would have also covered up like you did under those circumstances. I remember having that single mosquito at lights out. Jumping up to hunt that SOB down before he bleeds one of us all night!! "No-See-Ums" are another thing that are a conversation about camping because they can apparently make it through the some of the screens. They congregate on the TV when you are lights out for bed. Equally annoying. I might have to get one of those magnetic screens for the door as another layer of bug protection. It sure sounds like there are quite a few things that can easily cause meltdowns while camping!

Fancypants2001 said:
Right on @Zeke. I take no stock in Bug Sprays either. I can't handle the buzzing or dive bombing. I would have also covered up like you did under those circumstances. I remember having that single mosquito at lights out. Jumping up to hunt that SOB down before he bleeds one of us all night!! "No-See-Ums" are another thing that are a conversation about camping because they can apparently make it through the some of the screens. They congregate on the TV when you are lights out for bed. Equally annoying. I might have to get one of those magnetic screens for the door as another layer of bug protection. It sure sounds like there are quite a few things that can easily cause meltdowns while camping!
Love the magnetic screens. I found that taking the magnetics of one screen and adding them to another really assures fast and assured closures.

Reactions: Zeke and Fancypants2001
Edgewater said:
Love the magnetic screens. I found that taking the magnetics of one screen and adding them to another really assures fast and assured closures.
Cool. I will definitely give it a whirl. The screen tent we use has them. Thanks!

Reactions: Zeke and Edgewater
Fancypants2001 said:
One mosquito buzzing around in the tent can be really frustrating when you’re trying to get to sleep. My folks had friends in Ontario who we used to go fishing with. We packed back into a lake that was about a four hour hike and camped outside overnight. The mosquitoes were so aggressive and numerous we ended up covering up with plastic sheeting we had along preferring to chance suffocating to the mosquito onslaught. And I remember one year that we took our Trailblazer 18’ travel trailer up there and camped by a beautiful lake. That night we found out how totally inadequate the screens of the Trailblazer were for Canadian no-see-ums. I looked like I had measles in the morning from all their bites. As far as those magnetic screens go I was thinking that they might work well for an entrance on the screen enclosure I plan on having made for my pontoon. Since my aunt, that did the tent and awning work that made the canopy and screens for the pontoon my folks took down the Mississippi, is no longer alive I’ve been looking for someone to duplicate her work as I prepare to replicate their trip. The magnetic screen looks like it would work well at the entrance and make a good upgrade to what my folks used.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Fancypants2001
Yeah, @Zeke Those little buggers bite too! I wonder if you we benefit draping a couple of layers over the pontoon openings to keep the bugs out. I can attest to the citronella candles working. idk what makes that magic happen but they don't seem to get close if you have them on the table.

This is a perspective picture. There is plenty of maneuverable space with the slide out for many people to gather.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230209_150351_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230209_150351_Gallery.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 10
I remember citronella candles burning around our patio as dad was barbecuing and sipping his martini when I was in grade school. If they’ve been around for over half a century they must have some value. And I see there’s a bit of feline DNA in your and your better half’s genetics as well!

Last edited:
Fancypants you were right on the money about buying an RV as an impulse buy. We have a 1/2 ton RAM and bought a Grand Design 150 series 28ft 5th wheel. This was before I read 'RVing for Dummies' Now other people maybe able to tow a 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton truck, but this com-bow is dangerous. West-bound on Snoqualmie pass downhill, we were driving the trailer not the truck. Had to slow down to 30 in a 65mph zone. Until we got air bags installed, the ride was like being at a Metal Headbanging concert. Now it's more like a pair of bobbleheads. Still unpleasant, jerks/hicks/shudders with every acceleration or slowing down/deacceleration. Others maybe think that's OK but back in the mid-late 80's we drove a one ton and a 32ft 5th wheel that didn't have any problems. We are actively looking for 3/4 ton-one ton truck...

Fancypants2001 said:
Cool. I will definitely give it a whirl. The screen tent we use has them. Thanks!
Oops!! Sorry the Mrs. just corrected me!! She starts at the bottom adding the additional magnetic blocks and went-up about a third of the way and tried it out and added to about the half way point! That worked for the both of us, but when our parrot joined, she continued to the top!

• Wow
InfantyDen said:
Fancypants you were right on the money about buying an RV as an impulse buy. We have a 1/2 ton RAM and bought a Grand Design 150 series 28ft 5th wheel. This was before I read 'RVing for Dummies' Now other people maybe able to tow a 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton truck, but this com-bow is dangerous. West-bound on Snoqualmie pass downhill, we were driving the trailer not the truck. Had to slow down to 30 in a 65mph zone.
OH WOW!! I would have been shitting bricks for sure. I did a simple search of that model. Tall. Boxy tall. You are a brave man!!! Again, WOW.. I've driven that stretch of?? 1-90? Back in '90. Leaving a duty station for my HOR before Desert Storm. A Nissan Pickup. I think I put the stick to neutral and coasted to Walla Walla!! hahah.. jkjk. IDK, but that is a whole lot of weight to be gaining inertia downhill. Even downshifting to low.. the trucks going to rev. apply the brakes? overheat and fail. Yeah, I hope that was a "One and Done" white knuckles drive?

You'll have to keep the post updated when you get the new prime mover. Did you just start the camping experience recently? Impulsiveness is a powerful thing!! Salespeople are only looking to make themselves money. That was one thing I was especially wiser to during the purchase of this new Grand Design camper. We definitely did NOT let ourselves get lured into any extended warranty or Good Sam Club. Roadside emergency assistance crap or even the Ceramic camper coating. Those things only add to the total cost and give commission to those pushing it.

Anyhow. yes. I hope to hear what you decide on. I could start another post on the need for or not Diesel vs Gas!! I have decided upon a GM 6.6L gasser. Crew cab. Used. BTW, how do you like the Grand Design? Apparently, the company is very consumer supportive and hosts an annual event in N. Indiana encouraging Grand Design owners to spend the weekend.

Edgewater said:
That worked for the both of us, but when our parrot joined, she continued to the top!
ummm, now I need to see this visual!! hahah.. I have to see this parrot!!

Back