Robots On The Site Collecting Information And Possibly More

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joediaper

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
Seriously!

Just counted 123 bots cruising these forums and peoples profiles after clicking the members link in the box on the main forum page. What is this all about and why are they looking at our profiles? I wasn't told about this, never agreed to it and it feels like an invasion of privacy.

It also seems they might be doing more than just looking as a post I was just on disappeared without any mods or admin on.

Reactions: Abdlchriscrinkle
Welcome to the internet as we know it today.

They're all over everything on the surface web, doing this all day long, not just here.

Reactions: joemama
Joediaper said:
Seriously!

Just counted 123 bots cruising these forums and peoples profiles after clicking the members link in the box on the main forum page. What is this all about and why are they looking at our profiles? I wasn't told about this, never agreed to it and it feels like an invasion of privacy.

It also seems they might be doing more than just looking as a post I was just on disappeared without any mods or admin on.
How do you know? I'm not doubting what you say, of course. But I'm not a very technical person and I am wondering how you can tell? (Interesting and a bit scary!!)

Reactions: tiny
This is how search engines catalogue the web so that we can all search and find content.

Take the a word or phrase such as AB or DL or the combo ABDL and the engines will pull back results matching the query.

I don’t say it’s nothing to worry about, big brother and all that but if they weren’t there, you’d never find anything unless you had the exact URL.

Think about how you found this forum.

I hope that helps.

Jenny xx

🥰🥰

Reactions: tiny
To participate in ADISC and contribute to the discussion you need to be a member. But nonmembers are allowed to view most of the forums without having to sign in.

A lot of the community members here (including myself) ma have taken quite some time to look over the site before deciding to join and participate in the discussion. That is kind of the trade off. If you don't know what is in the site, do you really want to join? But then, I agree, I know that what I post here can also be viewed (unless in a few of the forums) by others outside of the community, including bots.

Not long ago, I made a post and later was then surfing the web and found that my post was the first thing that came up on a google search about a rather closely held topic about myself. This wasn't something I really wanted the whole world to so easily find! I reached out to the mods, and they deleted it very promptly. So I give them high scores for that. But yes, keep in mind that just as responding on most any social media site, your posts here can be viewed outside of the community.

I do not claim to be tech savvy, just tech aware. But my guess is a lot of the "bots" are all about gathering info that is shared for searches on these topics that people may be googling or searching about.

Time to call the terminator

• Haha
Reactions: Abdlchriscrinkle
Google search and all search engines use what is called web crawlers to search web pages. this is how a search engine knows what page to go to if you do a search. Say if someone searches softest diaper and it takes you to a ADISC page it is because the web crawlers have been their.

I built a webpage once about 10 years ago when I had a business. When you build your site you even invite these bots to it because the sooner they reference it the sooner the search engines can find you. Don't be surprised because like I said it was over 10 years ago and I am sure it is even more advanced now. It is the price you pay to get online. Most is collected for advertising This is why I don't post picks of myself or any real info about myself not even in a private conversation. Especially on such a matter I do not want the world to know. In fact The email I used to set up this was created just for this site.

Reactions: Lightstreak2553
ADISC is a publicly-accessible web forum. Anything you post can be read by others. Thats sort of... the whole point. :-/ Bots simply index content for search engines.

§18 of ADISC's rules said:
You are granting us a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your content in connection with the service.

Before the Internet, most(?) ABDLs thought they might be the "only one" with such a strange fetish. Publicly-accessible websites like ADISC have helped ABDLs from across the world. That wouldn't have been possible if ADISC was an underground society, hidden from public view.

-----------------------

The great thing about the Internet is that no one knows who you are... unless you tell them.

§17 of ADISC's rules said:
We're a support site, not a hookup site.
§13 of ADISC's rules said:
Don’t post your phone number or email address. If you have to give this info to another member, do so via private conversation.

So long as no one can tie your ADISC identity to your real-life (or other online) identity, then... it shouldn't matter what you say here. Keep your ABDLI identity separate from your real-life/professional identity and you're fine.

:)

Reactions: Cottontail
DiaperedAndDamp said:
How do you know? I'm not doubting what you say, of course. But I'm not a very technical person and I am wondering how you can tell? (Interesting and a bit scary!!)
Here's a link. https://www.adisc.org/forum/online/?type=robot

Agreed that a lot of these are looking at the site to catalog for search engines but seeing they are looking at peoples profiles is a bit disconcerting.

tiny said:
So long as no one can tie your ADISC identity to your real-life (or other online) identity, then... it shouldn't matter what you say here. Keep your ABDLI identity separate from your real-life/professional identity and you're fine.

Sure I don't have anything on the site relating to my actual identity but the site does. Our IP's are tracked and cataloged by the site. This gives moderators and admin the ability to ban someone and keep them off unless they use a VPN or bounce off another server. I just hope none of the bots have access to this info. It's surprisingly easy to look up who owns a particular IP address and where they live.

ADISC does not give out personal information, nor do we make someone’s IP visible to non staff members.

Be aware this is the internet: there are bots and tracking everywhere.
Many ads place tracking cookies in your browser, many websites track and share your IP ( Example: FaceBook ), there are even phone apps that share GPS data with advertisers.

Best defense is to educate yourself very well on all the different aspects of internet privacy ( VPNs alone don’t stop tracking ), and be very careful what you share online.

Reactions: WanderingToddler
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back