Road trips

HI Ellyn

Just wondering if it easier to pack cloth diapers and plastic covers better then the disposable plastic back tape ones. I would think it take up less room maybe ?

Reactions: Diprs2, OriginalWetone, Edgewater and 1 other person
Rita said:
HI Ellyn

Just wondering if it easier to pack cloth diapers and plastic covers better then the disposable plastic back tape ones. I would think it take up less room maybe ?
I find that disposable's are easier to handle and get rid of when out and about or traveling away from home. Just change and drop in a trash can and go on your way.

Reactions: 247, Diprs2, OriginalWetone and 2 others
Rita and Angelapinks,
Very true.
I use cloth as much as possible (period). There are many times that I use disposable too.
If I’m out and about, and I’m going to be gone less than 3 hours, no issue. If I’m out more than that AND I know where I can change AND it’s convenient. I’ll change into a cloth set. Otherwise, I’ll wear disposable and go longer if necessary.
I always carry a bag and backpack with me with everything I would need for several changes (cloth and disposable). I’m never unprepared.
With cloth, it’s about comfort. I DO NOT like disposable if I’m going to be outside in Texas heat and humidity for a few reasons. I wear what’s necessary though to get through the day.

Reactions: Diprs2, PaddedRita, OriginalWetone and 2 others
Ellyn said:
Let me start by saying that part of my job involves visiting customer’s offices and work sites so I’m in the car a lot. By a lot, I mean that, on average, I make between one and three customer visits per day, which can be a few travel hours on the road, one way. The rest of the time is ‘working’ from home, running errands, and going into the office, which is a few times per week for several hours.
We also have a ranch that we visit in East Texas that is four hours from home. I sometimes travel there for a few days, taking the canine kids so stopping along the way is difficult.
If I’m going to be traveling locally (an hour or so away) and will be at a work site, I’ll wear cloth diapers due to the comfort factor. Cloth diapers are much more comfortable in the Texas climate in that they feel cooler and don’t bunch up like most disposables do. If the “local” trip involves only one change during the round trip, cloth it is. I change In pre-chosen restaurant restrooms as they are usually very clean and somewhat private. If the trip involves more than one change, it’s usually a MegaMax or Supreme. On the other hand, if I’m traveling to the ranch (4 hours away), I’ll usually wear cloth as we have a washer/dryer there.
My point is that it’s always a carefully planned trip with contingency supplies and plans. I keep a well supplied bag in the back of each of our vehicles and always have my backpack with one or two changes and changing supplies (plastic bags, extra pins, wipes, etc).
I usually wear a dress or skirt so changes are relatively quick and easy. At a restaurant, I use a small amount of Lysol and wipes on the restroom partition wall before I lean into it to hold the diaper in place while changing. I’ve gotten very good at changing quickly and quietly in places like that. The only potential give away is the plastic pants but they are only brought down to my knees so there’s not a lot of noise. PUL pants produce even less noise but feel bulkier than the EuroFlex urethane pants that are paper thin.
The remainder of my day includes cloth diapers so by the day’s end, I’ve accumulated eight or more diapers (4 sets of double diapers, 1 set being thick nighttime diapers) to wash and dry. It seems like the washer and dryer are constantly running with diapers (dedicated wash) and clothes, bedding, and the like for a family of four. Yet, that (LG) equipment seems to run flawlessly for years!
Any pointers oh how to pin on diapers? Having cerebral palsy only on one side is hard enough, but I don't use my cloth diapers only for nighttime use it's just a pain washing / pining and getting the fit right..
I use these peva plastic pants that I found on ebay there really loud for some reason due to material it's made out of, but where cheap for the price. Reminds me of the plastic pants used as a kid when I was learning to potty train. Thank God all I have is stress incontinence and it isn't super bad could always be worse I guess...

Reactions: Diprs2, OriginalWetone, Edgewater and 2 others
You might try pre-pinning the side that you have trouble with before pulling up. I’ve had to do that a few times for one reason or another. It takes a little trial and error but you quickly get a knack for it. Also, I use a larger size than recommended so I pin at the smallest part of my waist and at my pelvic bones so it’s pretty easy and quick and resists sagging.

While I don't currently use cloth diapers I do agree it is so important to pack the supplies you need for the whole day if you are working away from home. It can be so stressful not to have the proper diaper changes you need for a whole day out, especially if your bladder is unpredictable.
I always carry an extra diaper, plastic bags (for disposal), wipes, baby powder and diaper rash cream in my backpack when I'm away at work for the day.

Ellyn said:
Rita and Angelapinks,
Very true.
I use cloth as much as possible (period). There are many times that I use disposable too.
If I’m out and about, and I’m going to be gone less than 3 hours, no issue. If I’m out more than that AND I know where I can change AND it’s convenient. I’ll change into a cloth set. Otherwise, I’ll wear disposable and go longer if necessary.
I always carry a bag and backpack with me with everything I would need for several changes (cloth and disposable). I’m never unprepared.
With cloth, it’s about comfort. I DO NOT like disposable if I’m going to be outside in Texas heat and humidity for a few reasons. I wear what’s necessary though to get through the day.

Thank you so much for the reply Ellyn ;) !
Yes that heat and humidity can be unbearable at times in summer time !! 😟

Long ago when I became U-IC, hose and bag or cloth diapers and plastic pants was pretty much it. So from very early on I wore cloth diapers. As disposable became more dependable and didn't leave that trail of cotton bits behind, I had switched away. During COVID, I switched back to cloth diapers during the day and a MEGAMAX at night. Yes, different than most folks, but it works for me!

As so well covered by Ellyn, the ease of changing-up cloth diaper combinations makes them so very adjustable based on time of year, Summer's heat and Winter's cold. And combinations based on how long one is out and about and needed volume!

I have long traveled for business and we have traveled for vacations. It really does not take that long to determine what needs to be carried and having those items available either in a computer bag or a carry-on bag in the SUV.Yes, disposables are fast and easy, but one needs have plans for when their fail and they will and at the worst possible moment!

Thanks Ellyn and the many other contributors to this fantastic Thread!

Cheers,

Reactions: Diprs2, OriginalWetone, furry121 and 2 others
Rita said:
HI Ellyn

At one time in my life I worked as a tech rep traveling around the world, never in one place longer than five days. I learned to travel light and buy what I needed when I got there. So a few years later, when I got back into my diaper fetish, I used the same philosophy when traveling.
I love thick wet cloth diapers but they are not suitable for travel, either by plane of car. Amtrak maybe :think:
Unless you are fortunate enough to have one of those fancy RVs with a built in washer and dryer, you'll have to save up the wet diapers until you reach some place where you can wash them. Way so much easier to use disposables and if traveling by plane, I put on a good one with a booster pad when I leave, and then buy a bag of what's available when I reach my destination. I may have to wear 2 or 3 at a time and use pads too, but it makes life so much easier with one less chore to fit into a busy day. Whether it's a vacation or business travel, I really don't want to waste half a morning or afternoon sitting in a laundramat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, Angelapinks, Edgewater and 1 other person
OriginalWetone said:
At one time in my life I worked as a tech rep traveling around the world, never in one place longer than five days. I learned to travel light and buy what I needed when I got there. So a few years later, when I got back into my diaper fetish, I used the same philosophy when traveling.
I love thick wet cloth diapers but they are not suitable for travel, either by plane of car. Amtrak maybe :think:
Unless you are fortunate enough to have one of those fancy RVs with a built in washer and dryer, you'll have to save up the wet diapers until you reach some place where you can wash them. Way so much easier to use disposables and if traveling by plane, I put on a good one with a booster pad when I leave, and then buy a bag of what's available when I reach my destination. I may have to wear 2 or 3 at a time and use pads too, but it makes life so much easier with one less chore to fit into a busy day. Whether it's a vacation or business travel, I really don't want to waste half a morning or afternoon sitting in a laundramat.
I completely get it.

Reactions: OriginalWetone, Diprs2, Angelapinks and 1 other person
I had traveled beginning back when cloth diapers were the only reliable protection. I just worked the washing and drying into my schedule as one always had reports and quotations to write. It was common to have hotels with washing facilities while traveling in Europe. Never found it a chore, just another way of multitasking.

Reactions: Diprs2, OriginalWetone, Angelapinks and 1 other person
I travelled all over the four corners wearing disposable nappies 24/7

Reactions: Diprs2, Angelapinks and Edgewater
It is so good to read about how everyone plans their travels. Ellyn, you have it worked out so well. I prefer cloth nappies too and I looked around many years ago for some that I could wear discretely but they did not exist. Being a practical type, I decided to make my own. I discovered that terry comes in varying thicknesses so I now use 550 gsm terry with a layer of terry stitched down the centre and then a layer of brushed cotton which goes next to my skin. I then put velcro in each corner and add a pair of plastic pants. They will last 4/5 hours. I also prefer to wear shorts or dungarees (even though I am 73!) and a pair that are one size too big cover my nappy well. I certainly agree that cloth nappies are the best in the heat. I do wear disposables now as well as they have come on leaps and bounds in comfort, security and discretion, but I still prefer my terries. I also feel better about the environmental aspect.
Tell me what you all do for travel by air? For me it is still pull-ups although I don’t like them. I travel 26 hours from the UK to NZ every year. The last trip I started off with pull-up then for the 17.5 hour stretch from Dubai to Auckland I wore a Rearz alpacas or was it dinosaurs, it worked anyway, changing just before we arrived back into pull-up. While I am there I am back into my own nappies asap.

Reactions: OriginalWetone, Diprs2, Angelapinks and 1 other person
Ellyn said:
MechanicX,
Nope. Never tried them but was pretty interested in trying them awhile back. I believe they were from Rearz. I needed more regular pin on prefolds at the time to replace worn out ones so I didn’t pursue them.
As I recall, they are hour glass shaped. I feel like women can benefit from full width material between their legs for maximum absorption and wicking to the entire diaper. There’s much less material in the hour glass shape where it counts so that’s why I stayed away. I’d guess men would have even more difficulty wicking to the back of an hour glass shape due to less material.
Something to ponder.
I have two pair of the rears all in one diapers. The Velcro works good for a while, but then I had to use pins. I have several of the long couplers that I use I usually use two of them, plus a smaller baby diaper.
To help with the typical male issue you mentioned, I fold the baby diaper into thirds lengthwise and sort of wrap my penis with it. Also, I learned years ago after being in the hospital a few days after major back surgery, ti point the penis backwards to make absorption much more effective. But the baby diaper helps no keep things “ in place,” so I don’t wake up to a fairly dry diaper but wet everywhere else.
Like many others, it’s usually cloth at home and Rears in control plus everywhere else.
Thanks for the good post.
So thankful that two lumbar back surgeries in 1999 only left me with extremely stron urge incontinence, with occasional leakage I’m not initially aware of, but no bowel issues. I feel for those that deal with that.

Reactions: OriginalWetone, Diprs2, Ellyn and 1 other person
Ellyn said:
Let me start by saying that part of my job involves visiting customer’s offices and work sites so I’m in the car a lot. By a lot, I mean that, on average, I make between one and three customer visits per day, which can be a few travel hours on the road, one way. The rest of the time is ‘working’ from home, running errands, and going into the office, which is a few times per week for several hours.
We also have a ranch that we visit in East Texas that is four hours from home. I sometimes travel there for a few days, taking the canine kids so stopping along the way is difficult.
If I’m going to be traveling locally (an hour or so away) and will be at a work site, I’ll wear cloth diapers due to the comfort factor. Cloth diapers are much more comfortable in the Texas climate in that they feel cooler and don’t bunch up like most disposables do. If the “local” trip involves only one change during the round trip, cloth it is. I change In pre-chosen restaurant restrooms as they are usually very clean and somewhat private. If the trip involves more than one change, it’s usually a MegaMax or Supreme. On the other hand, if I’m traveling to the ranch (4 hours away), I’ll usually wear cloth as we have a washer/dryer there.
My point is that it’s always a carefully planned trip with contingency supplies and plans. I keep a well supplied bag in the back of each of our vehicles and always have my backpack with one or two changes and changing supplies (plastic bags, extra pins, wipes, etc).
I usually wear a dress or skirt so changes are relatively quick and easy. At a restaurant, I use a small amount of Lysol and wipes on the restroom partition wall before I lean into it to hold the diaper in place while changing. I’ve gotten very good at changing quickly and quietly in places like that. The only potential give away is the plastic pants but they are only brought down to my knees so there’s not a lot of noise. PUL pants produce even less noise but feel bulkier than the EuroFlex urethane pants that are paper thin.
The remainder of my day includes cloth diapers so by the day’s end, I’ve accumulated eight or more diapers (4 sets of double diapers, 1 set being thick nighttime diapers) to wash and dry. It seems like the washer and dryer are constantly running with diapers (dedicated wash) and clothes, bedding, and the like for a family of four. Yet, that (LG) equipment seems to run flawlessly for years!
I commented on a post further down that you also responded too.
I don’t know if you, or someone else that might see my post, be able to offer any suggestions on having enough disposable diapers to go on trips away from home for longer than a week?
I’m hoping to still book an Alaskan cruise for this summer, as well as a two week trip to Washington DC area for a historical tour.
I’m at the place in life I have time and finances ti finally do some “bucket list “ things, but I’m concerned on planning around incontinence.
I know I can take an extra , large suitcase with diapers, that would last maybe 8-10 days. Then use a small backpack when away from the hotel. I’ve wondered about ordering some diapers to be shipped to a hotel, or cruise ship?
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Reactions: Diprs2, Angelapinks and Edgewater
Have long shipped disposable diapers to motel /hotels for the longer trip with no problems. In fact they appreciate knowing of your special needs.

Reactions: babyscotty37, Diprs2 and Angelapinks
When I go to Hawaii, I bring along with me as many disposables as I can fit into a larger duffel bag and check it. We don’t generally worry about checked bags cost but I understand that if you declare bags containing medical supplies, they waive the cost (??). I’ve never looked into it though.
When I get to the island, I go to a few pharmacies and pick up the best products available, which has been Attends and the like (not the best but a few steps up from the worst). I also buy Tena overnight urinary incontinent pads, which anre easier to come by) and I set them into the diapers. That’s usually adequate but MAKE SURE the pads are well within the leak guards. I also buy underpads for the bed and usually save my packed quality disposables for nighttime.
Best suggestion is don’t over think it as it will ruin the fun. You can easily get by with what’s available in most places. Admittedly I’ve never been on a cruise however so I’d check stocks in their pharmacy. Having supplies sent to your ship or destination sounds like it would work too but I haven’t done that either.

Reactions: OriginalWetone, PaddedRita, babyscotty37 and 3 others
Ellyn said:
You might try pre-pinning the side that you have trouble with before pulling up. I’ve had to do that a few times for one reason or another. It takes a little trial and error but you quickly get a knack for it. Also, I use a larger size than recommended so I pin at the smallest part of my waist and at my pelvic bones so it’s pretty easy and quick and resists sagging.
Don't forget that "pre-pinning" the side also works for disposables. I did this a few years back when I'd broken my wrist. At the time my mom had to help with my diaper (I was 17 at the time). I finally figured it out and do this myself.

Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and Ellyn
Ellyn said:
When I go to Hawaii, I bring along with me as many disposables as I can fit into a larger duffel bag and check it. We don’t generally worry about checked bags cost but I understand that if you declare bags containing medical supplies, they waive the cost (??). I’ve never looked into it though.
When I get to the island, I go to a few pharmacies and pick up the best products available, which has been Attends and the like (not the best but a few steps up from the worst). I also buy Tena overnight urinary incontinent pads, which anre easier to come by) and I set them into the diapers. That’s usually adequate but MAKE SURE the pads are well within the leak guards. I also buy underpads for the bed and usually save my packed quality disposables for nighttime.
Best suggestion is don’t over think it as it will ruin the fun. You can easily get by with what’s available in most places. Admittedly I’ve never been on a cruise however so I’d check stocks in their pharmacy. Having supplies sent to your ship or destination sounds like it would work too but I haven’t done that either.
Luckily when I went to Hawaii I did not need any protection but I did check out the various shops for Plastic pants and diapers. I was going to order Salk pants from J.C. Penny but forgot it is an island with things taking much time to ship there and as I was only there for two weeks it would not work out. I did bring back the J.C. Penny catalogue with me to Canada and ordered things from Buffalo N.Y. which is closer to me.

Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and Ellyn
Edgewater said:
Have long shipped disposable diapers to motel /hotels for the longer trip with no problems. In fact they appreciate knowing of your special needs.
Thank you for letting me know for sure this is possible. It gives me more confidence to continue planning.

Reactions: Angelapinks
Back