Road trips

Ellyn said:
When I go to Hawaii, I bring along with me as many disposables as I can fit into a larger duffel bag and check it. We don’t generally worry about checked bags cost but I understand that if you declare bags containing medical supplies, they waive the cost (??). I’ve never looked into it though.
When I get to the island, I go to a few pharmacies and pick up the best products available, which has been Attends and the like (not the best but a few steps up from the worst). I also buy Tena overnight urinary incontinent pads, which anre easier to come by) and I set them into the diapers. That’s usually adequate but MAKE SURE the pads are well within the leak guards. I also buy underpads for the bed and usually save my packed quality disposables for nighttime.
Best suggestion is don’t over think it as it will ruin the fun. You can easily get by with what’s available in most places. Admittedly I’ve never been on a cruise however so I’d check stocks in their pharmacy. Having supplies sent to your ship or destination sounds like it would work too but I haven’t done that either.
Thanks for the response. I agree Attenda are better than basic drug store brands, but my UI can usually end up overwatering those, even with a light weight Tena pad.
Another person responded and said they travel frequently and ship extra supplies, if needed, to the hotel in advance and have usually found them very accommodating.
That alone gave me some relief to know someone actually does this and I’m not just guessing/hoping that would work.

Reactions: Diprs2
babyscotty37 said:
Thank you for letting me know for sure this is possible. It gives me more confidence to continue planning.
I just contacted Holland America Cruise Lines regarding my need to ship diapers in advance. I talked to someone in guest services, at 800-597-8493 if someone happens to need this, and was told that once the cruise is booked I can call back and just let them know the very brand of diapers I need and they do the actual ordering and get the supplies into their system and on my ship. It was a little anxiety provoking as I had to make a few various calls to finally find the help I needed. More confidence gained for future travels!

Reactions: Diprs2 and Pino
babyscotty37 said:
I commented on a post further down that you also responded too.
I don’t know if you, or someone else that might see my post, be able to offer any suggestions on having enough disposable diapers to go on trips away from home for longer than a week?
I’m hoping to still book an Alaskan cruise for this summer, as well as a two week trip to Washington DC area for a historical tour.
I’m at the place in life I have time and finances ti finally do some “bucket list “ things, but I’m concerned on planning around incontinence.
I know I can take an extra , large suitcase with diapers, that would last maybe 8-10 days. Then use a small backpack when away from the hotel. I’ve wondered about ordering some diapers to be shipped to a hotel, or cruise ship?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
One of my recent discoveries was vacuum packaging. You can get them on Amazon in the UK and they come in three sizes. I like the smaller ones and can get 10 Tykables in one pack, they come with a pump to take out all the air and the whole thing shrinks down to half it’s size. At least you don’t need big bulky suitcases.

Teddy02 said:
One of my recent discoveries was vacuum packaging. You can get them on Amazon in the UK and they come in three sizes. I like the smaller ones and can get 10 Tykables in one pack, they come with a pump to take out all the air and the whole thing shrinks down to half it’s size. At least you don’t need big bulky suitcases.
Huh, that's a really good idea. I've seen these products before but for clothing it never seemed to make sense for travel because on the return trip you usually won't be able to vacuum them again. However, that's obviously not an issue for disposable diapers so it makes a lot of sense. (I guess if you were flying theoretically the TSA could decompress them and inspect them which might be problematic if they wouldn't fit back in the suitcase but hopefully that's unlikely?)

Last edited:
Bnuuy said:
Huh, that's a really good idea. I've seen these products before but for clothing it never seemed to make sense for travel because on the return trip you usually won't be able to vacuum them again. However, that's obviously not an issue for disposable diapers so it makes a lot of sense. (I guess if you were flying theoretically the TSA could decompress them and inspect them which might be problematic if they wouldn't fit back in the suitcase but hopefully that's unlikely?)
Yes, but if you take the pump with you (it is not too big, just a small hand pump) you will be fine.

Back