Right type of protection

hiker

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hi, I would like to ask you for an advice. I am 31 yo male, interested in sport & outdoor activities and I lead the group of young adolescent rock climbers and hikers (boys from 16 to 19 yo) in my leissure time. Since this April I have dealed with very light bedwetting problems - I am a little wet four or five times a week.

Usually I wear an incontinence (cotton) boxer shorts with the TENA Men pad (lvl. 2) to bed and this combination has been fully sufficient si far. However, three days ago I wet myself more than usual: The male pad could not absorb it (the boxer shorts either) and I wet the bedsheets. I did not notice it (it did not woke me up) until the morning when my GF snuggled me and put a hand to my crotch. You can imagine the embarrasment.

The next night everything was as usual (the male pad absorbed everything), but on Wednesday morning the bedsheets was wet again. I went to the pharmacy after work and bought there pull-ups (TENA Pants Plus "M"). Eventhough I felt very embarrased and I could not fall asleep quite long, the pull-up worked well and the bed stayed dry.

HOWEVER: I am going to the mountains with my young climbers for 8 days. We will be accomodated in the small mountain cottage (9 persons in a room). And of course, I really do not want to wear a pull-up when I'll be there with them. Eventhough the TENA Pants Plus are not bulky, it is a bit noticable under the boxer pants and in my opinion it rustles lightly.

So, I would like to ask you for an advice what type of protection I could use during the week with my Boys. Does it exists something between the TENA Male Pad and the pull-ups?

I have found some large pad called ABRI Men Premium Special that could be insert to the boxer shorts (and that covers a bottom as well) but I am not sure how discreet it is. Or should I risk and wear just incontinence boxer shorts and the male pad as usual?

Thank you for your advice and sorry for the length of the post.

Reactions: Diprs2
I use these products. I like the Tena male super plus underwear (white and gray striped)
They also make male guards that are 3 and 4 drop protection. The 3 are better than the 2. The 4 is quite a bit thicker than the 3.
I would buy a more absorbent guard if that’s what you think will work.
The underwear keep the pad in place better if you ask me but guards are easier to change and dispose of

Reactions: Diprs2 and hiker
What you will find is that things change with your "hydration level". That might seem obvious but we can all be a bit oblivious about it at times.

One night I drank a tall beer with my meal, not thinking anything of it (I rarely drink). The next morning I was very wet and as I stood up out of bed, I had to support my wet diaper (due to weight) because I peed all the way to the outhouse (at a remote cabin). But normally, this is not an issue for me.

Reactions: Diprs2
The embarassment is very understandable but there is nothing to be ashamed of if fact. Yes, statistically men in that age around 30 are less prone to IC then those 60+ but they exist. More then you might think. You are not alone out there.

Like iatec779 already mentioned. Male guards are also available up to level 4. A pant is usually very discreet already. Just wear a loose witting boxershorts over them and you should be good to go. The only other think I know to exist in the US(I live in Germany) is this: https://www.tena.us/men/products/incontinence-underwear-for-men
They are at least as absorbent as the unisex Pants Plus but are designed more to resemble underwear and I do belief they have a lower cut. They really should be invisible under a loose fitting boxer. And rustling is really only in your head especially for pants is just your psyche.

Both variants might work but I would recommend choosing leak protection over wanting less material to wear. Both options are extremely discreed regardles if guard or pant. Wetting the sheets up there in the mountains is not. Best preactice is so get all of them and try them out at home to see the performance at night. Then have your GF confirm the invisibility of them all and judge what to choose to take with you on the trip. Again there is no need for embarrasment or shame the issue is as old as mankind itself. Enjoy your life with whatever protection it requires.

Cheers

Reactions: hiker and Diprs2
Hey guys, thanks a lot for your recommendations and special thanks to LifeInPlastic for very kind and supportive message.

We have already returned and I have used the TENA MEN Protective Underwear (white and gray striped, as iatec779 had recommended) for a whole week. I had went to the bathroom as a last one every day and I put the Underwear on as late as possible and covered them by a loose boxer shorts. The Underwear had served well - the bedsheets had stayed dry every night. I take a cold shower every morning so it was not a problem to put it off and to get rid off them. I think that Boys did not notice anything and I have to say that we really enjoyed a great summer week in Österreich.

I arrived at home on Sunday and I returned to the unisex TENA Pants but fo the next trips the TENA MEN Protective Underwear will be the TOP option.

Thx once again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad to hear you had a great time and it all worked out with the protection. (y)

Cheers

@hiker if you have not done so already, please see a medical professional about what you are experiencing. It is embarrassing, yes but well worth it if they are able to help.

Back