Rescue 9-1-1

BabyBoy2023

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Perhaps you remember the once popular TV series "Rescue 9-1-1." It debuted on CBS in 1989, and up until its final episode, the show brought us some real entertainment as well as useful tips in a lot of cases. If you do remember this show, what was your scariest episode, and why?
The scariest one I had ever seen (figure of speech because I am blind) was Episode 406. Most of the episodes featured 4 segments, on which were stories of real-life people in emergency situations. Though all four segments of Episode 406, which aired in October of 1992, had me on edge, the fourth and final segment was the one that got me. I had a hard time falling asleep that night. I was almost 15 years old, and I had never heard anything as spine tingling and gruesome as this particular episode segment.
In this segment, the Tanner family of Fresno, California, was featured. There was the mother, Susan, father, Stan, four-year-old daughter, Brittany, and one-year-old sister, Brooke. The date of the actual incident was October 18, 1991. Susan was at home, looking after her and Stan's then 4-year-old daughter Brittany while he was at work. After William Shatner's introduction, the segment began with Susan putting plates of food on the table and highchair tray, and as Brittany and Brooke ate, Susan walked over to the telephone to call Stan, who she called on a daily basis. As the two conversed, four-year-old Brittany rocked her kitchen chair back-and-forth, and suddenly, there was the sound of breaking glass as she had fallen backwards through a sliding glass door. If Susan's screams weren't bad enough, the following transcript of the 9-1-1 call was terrifying. God, I still get the chills just listening to it. Note that everything you will read was taken from the actual 9-1-1 call Susan Tanner made to Fresno County dispatch on the afternoon of October 18, 1991.
Dispatcher Claudia Fernandez took the call. She had only been a Fresno County dispatcher for 3.5 years. "Are you there?" Susan cried when she heard a click.
"Nine-one-one dispatch?" Claudia said.
"There's stuff sticking out of her body!" Susan cried. "Whole body parts are sticking out! She's got terrible cuts from falling through the window!"
(Claudia) "There's body parts sticking out? Where at? In her stomach?"
(Susan) "In her back!"
(Claudia) "In her back?"
(Susan) "Like her liver! I don't know what it is!"
Claudia was shocked by what Susan told her. In her interview for the show, she stated, "I was like, oh my god! I never had anybody describe that to me over the phone. I couldn't believe it."
"There's blood gushing everywhere!" Susan cried. "Hurry!"
During her interview, Susan stated that she didn't think Brittany would survive due to the amount of blood that was gushing from the hole in her back. Meanwhile, on the taped 9-1-1 call, Claudia Fernandez gave Susan instrucktions. "Get a towel or a cloth," she said, "and apply direct pressure."
In one part of the call, Brittany can be heard telling her mother she loved her, which broke Claudia's heart, not to mention poor Susan's. "I just remember thinking that it was kind of like a goodbye," Susan stated in her interview, "that it was the last time we'd say that to each other."
"Ma'am?" Claudia said on the tape.
"Yes?" Susan replied.
"The ambulance is on the way." Claudia reassured her. "Is she still crying?"
"No, she looks like she's getting white." Susan replied. That answer concerned Claudia, who stated in the interview that it meant that Brittany was losing a tremendous amount of blood and could have gone into shock at any minute.
"She's really bleeding bad." Susan cried. "It is gushing. It is coming out everywhere. There's this big hole in her back."
Within a few minutes of Susan's frantic call, the first ambulance arrived. American Ambulance paramedic Ray Renard described a very bad scene. "Mom was covered in blood." he stated. "This little girl was very sick. We mainly noted one injury to the back, the large gaping hole there, which showed intestines." Mr. Renard went onto say that there was a tremendous amount of blood loss at the window site, approximately 2 to 3 cups worth, something that a lot of children cannot withstand and end up deteriorating rapidly from.

At the time of the accident, Susan was approximately 9 months pregnant with her and Stan's third child. "I remember thinking," she stated, "that I was losing one child and having another one... and I couldn't take that. I didn't want to have to trade one for another."
Ray Renard asked Susan to ride with him and the paramedics because he felt that the stress she was under could have caused her to go into active labor at any given moment. As the ambulance was pulling away, Stan arrived. "What happened?" he asked, and then, he saw the look on his wife's face. "When I drove up to the house and saw Susan in the ambulance," he stated in his interview, "I didn't have a chance to talk to her, and there was just... the look that we had between each other that I knew something serious had happened.
At Valley Medical Center, Dr. Dean Gushy led the trauma team that was ready for Brittany's arrival. When she arrived, he told her who he was "to try to make her at ease," in his own words, and he told her what was going to happen. Upon examination of the little girl's injury, Dr. Gushy knew she needed immediate surgery. "Her injury was very clearly life threatening." he said during his interview. "What we needed to do was to do all of the things necessary to get her to the operating room as rapidly as possible."
Stan met up with Brittany at the hospital, but he didn't have much time with her before she was rushed to surgery. "It's hard for a father to see his daughter in a situation like that," he stated, "where you can't really do anything and you're relying on somebody else to make your girl feel better when usually you're the one who picks them up and holds them when they have a hurt... and the thought of having a life without Brittany... I can't even imagine what it would be like... not to be able to see her... you know... just come running up and throw her arms around me and say, "I love you Daddy." I can't imagine what it would be like without her." As he talked, Stan broke down.
Miraculously, Brittany survived. Following emergency surgery to repair her lacerated colon, she was released from the hospital two weeks later. Following the accident, Susan and Stan had all of their windows refitted with safety glass panes. "Go through your house," Stan stated, "and any windows that are in your house, especially windows that are within 18 inches of the floor, make sure they're tempered so this doesn't happen to you."
"What scared me was falling." Brittany stated. "That's what scared me, and I don't play in that chair anymore."
I did some Internet research, and though I will not disclose anything in this thread, I will state that Brittany is a healthy adult. This episode of "Rescue 9-1-1" still freaks me out to this day, and I think we can all learn from it. So, now that I told you my most hair-raising episode, I want to know what yours was.

Last edited:
There was one, I could be getting 2 mixed up though, where a lady was driving and hit black ice. She drove off the road into a fence and a fence peice came through her windshield and pierced her neck.

TrashPanda01 said:
There was one, I could be getting 2 mixed up though, where a lady was driving and hit black ice. She drove off the road into a fence and a fence peice came through her windshield and pierced her neck.
No, you are not mixed up. That was on "Rescue 9-1-1." Her name was Vickie, and she took that fence post to her trachea. I remember that one well. Do you remember the one where the truck ran off the highway, rolled over once, and hit the base of a 45-foot power pole, taking out some wires that carried a total of 34,500 volts, and a guy was electrocuted along with a bystander who stopped to render aid? That was Episode 1-11 of "Rescue 9-1-1."

TrashPanda01 said:
Hey, TrashPanda01, I'm wonder if you might be able to decipher the following little soundbite of this 9-1-1 call. I am collecting "Rescue 9-1-1" audio files for my own entertainment. While quoting Susan Tanner in the 9-1-1 call mentioned above, I wanted to quote as much as I could. The zip file I am sending you contains an ogg file that is several seconds long. Claudia asks Susan if Brittany's crying, and Susan says, "No, no, she's just..." and the last word I can't make out. If you can tell me what she said here, that would be great. Many thanks.

Attachments

• Susan Tanner Inaudible Speech.zip
    79 KB · Views: 0
Back