Protection for Triathlon

EcoIncon

Cloth diaper anyone?
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Do any of you have experience with incontinence and Triathlons? I understand it is pretty common. I've got my first race coming up and I was just reviewing the race rules. If you "relieve yourself on the course, you will receive a DNF". What? I have run long races and peed on the way. I've never heard of such a rule. Now I have anxiety about this race...

I can really only think of two options: 1) to swim with a cloth diaper on, deal with wetness/chafing the whole race, and possibly leak anyway or 2) take a diaper into a porta potty to change (I don't think putting a diaper on in the transition area is an option)

Does anyone have any better ideas?

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2
A pull-up might be good depends how much you need to go during the triathlon. I usually use northshore go supreme pullups when I'm hiking or going on runs as they will hold up for around 3-4 hours while I'm staying properly hydrated and have a lot less chaffing than any tape on diaper but it might not work for everyone.
Does seem like an odd rule because most longer runs especially the competitive ones I've seen people just pee on the side of the road or in a bottle because theres no bathrooms and no time for one of your winning 🤷🏻

Reactions: Diprs2 and EcoIncon
You don't want that to be chafing while you compete
Maybe a condom cath with bag?

SparkyDog said:
You don't want that to be chafing while you compete
Maybe a condom cath with bag?
I was trying to figure out the condom cath and bag for the swim. I guess I should try swimming with one and see if it works.

• Thinking
Reactions: Diprs2 and Pino
Okay,
You can pee during the swim.
I can not think of a race that I have not seen someone just off the course peeing for the bike or run. I know some racers pee while biking.
Also a few of the races have had porta potty’s in the pits and by water stations. So if they supply porta potty’s they may not want you relieving your self on the course.

Reactions: subhubby1968, Diprs2 and EcoIncon
Well... I finished the tri and didn't get DQ'd for relieving myself on the course... I decided to chance it and didn't wear any protection. The bike course had a 9 mile section without portapottys. While biking I had several accidents but managed to keep them to trickles down my leg. The run also didn't have much for options (about a potty every mile) but by then I think I was dehydrated enough I didn't have more than a dribble.

• Wow
Reactions: newt, Diprs2, Zeke and 1 other person
@EcoIncon, Congratulations on competing (completing) the race. I don't think anyone would have noticed unless it was blatantly done (in front of others for social media hyping) and maybe that was what they were trying to prevent.

• Wow
Reactions: Diprs2, EcoIncon and Zeke
EcoIncon said:
Do any of you have experience with incontinence and Triathlons? I understand it is pretty common. I've got my first race coming up and I was just reviewing the race rules. If you "relieve yourself on the course, you will receive a DNF". What? I have run long races and peed on the way. I've never heard of such a rule. Now I have anxiety about this race...

I can really only think of two options: 1) to swim with a cloth diaper on, deal with wetness/chafing the whole race, and possibly leak anyway or 2) take a diaper into a porta potty to change (I don't think putting a diaper on in the transition area is an option)

Dear Ecoincon, I have completed several triathlons and it has never been an issue. Unless you are talking about bowel incontinence I don’t see a problem. If fact one coach told us to drink “till you wet in your wet suit”. I would not wet my bicycle seat but I have no hesitation wetting my running splits.

EcoIncon said:

Oh great, now I’ve got to nap the rest of the day from just thinking about a triathlon!🥱😴

• Haha
daylight said:
@EcoIncon, Congratulations on competing (completing) the race. I don't think anyone would have noticed unless it was blatantly done (in front of others for social media hyping) and maybe that was what they were trying to prevent.
yeah, I suppose people will do anything for a view post views. The more I thought about it... I was assuming that if it became an issue and I explained the situation to the referee, at an amateur level, they would have to make an accommodation.

Reactions: Diprs2
BuddyBoy said:
Dear Ecoincon, I have completed several triathlons and it has never been an issue. Unless you are talking about bowel incontinence I don’t see a problem. If fact one coach told us to drink “till you wet in your wet suit”. I would not wet my bicycle seat but I have no hesitation wetting my running splits.
Didn't really want to wet my bike seat... but alas.... I can always buy a new seat if it gets to smell/look offensive... Just one more thing in a long list of costs of managing incontinence I guess.

Reactions: newt and Diprs2
Good job on completing the triathlon! I would love to have done that previously but, at 70 now, prob can't get enough training in to give it a go. I do run 4.5 miles at least 3 times a week.

Reactions: EcoIncon
Diprs2 said:
Good job on completing the triathlon! I would love to have done that previously but, at 70 now, prob can't get enough training in to give it a go. I do run 4.5 miles at least 3 times a week.
Can you swim nine tenths of a mile, ride a bike 25 miles? If so you can complete a triathlon. If you can run 4.5 miles, you can run six. The question is: can you do them in succession? Think also about shorter races and biathlons. Good luck.

Reactions: EcoIncon and Diprs2
BuddyBoy said:
Can you swim nine tenths of a mile, ride a bike 25 miles? If so you can complete a triathlon. If you can run 4.5 miles, you can run six. The question is: can you do them in succession? Think also about shorter races and biathlons. Good luck.
Thanks!

Back