Preventative diaper cream usage curiosity.

Do you use ointment / cream to preventively for most changes, or only when treating a rash?

• Cream / Ointment at every (most) change as prevention

Votes: 41 58.6%
  • Cream / Ointment only when irritation or treating rash

Votes: 29 41.4%

• Total voters

PupSpaz

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Based on another discussion and occasionally seeing that others preventatively apply barrier / rash creams and ointments at every change, I am curious what percentage of us apply it with most changes to prevent rashes. (There's always exceptions to your personal best practices when changing products, hence "most" changes!)

I occasionally apply cream preventatively if I expect I'll have a messy diaper, but don't use it regularly unless I'm treating a rash / irritation. I do use powder with most changes as I like it and it seems to help a bit with chafing, but not counting powder as a cream. (Baby oil or equivalent does act somewhat like a barrier?)

I don't get rashes often, but they do come with the territory! Others seem to have less skin tolerance to diapers / incontinence products and proactively try to prevent them with diaper cream / rash ointment.

I find diaper rash cream to be very helpful when treating a rash, but also generally an unnecessary extra step for me that requires extra cleanup during changes and sometimes makes my diaper mechanically fall apart (oils in the cream break down the glues used in leg elastics for example) or stains the skin with the inks used on the prints. I also notice the rash cream can cause the diaper to cling / stick to the treated areas. So only when needed for me!

As a follow-up, where do you tend to apply it preventively? The entire diaper (or whatever product) area? For me, I'm more frequently treating chafing on the inner legs, and sometimes the butt crack or under the scrotum gets agitated, and powder is generally all that's used.

Reactions: Diprs2
prevention sure beats dealing with rashes.
Id rather spend time adding creams when my skin is healthy than only add it when it's hurting or unhealthy

• Love
Reactions: Kristal, Edgewater, CLPP and 1 other person
I’ve always monitored my skin condition and alternated between Remedy Skin Care Crème and a zinc oxide diaper rash ointment. I do also have various strengths of zinc oxide ointment that I use depending on how aggressive my rash happens to be. It seems that I’m using the skin care crème and rash ointment as a barrier cream most of the time.

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and EcoIncon
I 'am lucky to have never had a rash in over 30yrs.

Reactions: Edgewater and Diprs2
sport1 said:
I 'am lucky to have never had a rash in over 30yrs.
Are you using creams at every change?

Reactions: sport1 and Diprs2
My SO dabs a bit of petroleum jelly on the tip of my penis when she's changing me, because that particular part of me tends to 'redden' when I spend time diapered. We do use Baby Magic when I've shaved the 'down-there hair' and don't want to risk irritation, but I cannot remember the last time we used Desitin or baby powder.

I've found it more useful to use a hydrating lotion to keep the skin moisturized than to use a barrier cream.

• Love
Reactions: DiaperDiva, Edgewater and Diprs2
I use the Tena moisturizer cream on days that are exceptionally humid and if I know I'm going to be doing a lot of walking. That stuff is awesome! It's also very good as a treatment if I get abrasion sores, which for me is always on the inner thighs.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
I use sudocreme at every change

• Love
PupSpaz said:
Are you using creams at every change?
No if you are asking me.

Reactions: Edgewater
SparkyDog said:
prevention sure beats dealing with rashes.
Id rather spend time adding creams when my skin is healthy than only add it when it's hurting or unhealthy
I try to air-out almost daily. But when I put up a new diaper I always use a rash cream. Daily.

• Love
Reactions: IncontinentScholar, Diprs2 and Edgewater
greatlake5 said:
I try to air-out almost daily. But when I put up a new diaper I always use a rash cream. Daily.
Airing out is a must
I try and do this least 1x a day!

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater, greatlake5 and 1 other person
Most of the time just as need !

Never used any cream. It faults as a third option...

I use Medline, Soothe & Cool Barrier Ointment with every change. When a rash occurs I upgrade to a Zinc based product.

Reactions: Jonnythepony, Diprs2, EcoIncon and 1 other person
I use Calmoseptine as a diaper rash prevention. It only takes a very thin layer to be affective for me.

Only when needed. Because I don't want to carry rash cream with me all the time. And changing several times a day is already quite a burden.

But my skin is very sensitive and I make sure to always have rash cream available at home. Nothing is worse than waiting hours with a rash and nothing to heal it.

My worse experience was during a travel to the Island of Madeira with my parents last year. I only took with me a nearly ended tube. And with the hiking, the heat and the fact it was difficult to go to the toilet as often as necessary I ended up with a very bad rash the last two days. Also at first I was to shy to talk about it to my mom. Plus didn't want to interfere with the family plans and stop in a bigger city to buy some. Hoping that it would go away 🥵. The pain became dreadful but I waited until the last day at the airport to buy some. Don't remember the brand but it was not adapted and burned instead of easing the pain. The return flight was no fun. Even my parents noticed that I was not feeling well, itching and squirming.
I had to see my doctor back home. He said I never should wait so long without treatment. It Was fungal and took several days to clear up 😓

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: IncontinentScholar, Diprs2, PupSpaz and 1 other person
DreamerBen said:
Only when needed. Because I don't want to carry rash cream with me all the time. And changing several times a day is already quite a burden.

But my skin is very sensitive and I make sure to always have rash cream available at home. Nothing is worse than waiting hours with a rash and nothing to heal it.

My worse experience was during a travel to the Island of Madeira with my parents last year. I only took with me a nearly ended tube. And with the hiking, the heat and the fact it was difficult to go to the toilet as often as necessary I ended up with a very bad rash the last two days. Also at first I was to shy to talk about it to my mom. Plus didn't want to interfere with the family plans and stop in a bigger city to buy some. Hoping that it would go away 🥵. The pain became dreadful but I waited until the last day at the airport to buy some. Don't remember the brand but it was not adapted and burned instead of easing the pain. The return flight was no fun. Even my parents noticed that I was not feeling well, itching and squirming.
I had to see my doctor back home. He said I never should wait so long without treatment. It Was fungal and took several days to clear up 😓
Sorry to hear about that bad experience! Do you remember what the doctor gave you to clear up the fungal infection?

Reactions: Edgewater
I use Johnson's baby powder morning and night and baby lotion during the day to keep a bit fresher. If I get nappy rash, which I do occasionally especially in the summer, I use Sudocreme and that seems to do the trick

Wowsers, some slight confusion possibly in phrasing of question (do you use creams preventatively at most changes, or just when actual rash) - and with at least one that never uses rash ointment...

Still, looks like a lot more than half use ointment at most changes! My assumptions have been corrected!

What a great community where we can learn from each other and share experiences!

Reactions: Neroforte, Diprs2 and Edgewater
Back