Possible Upcoming Surgery.... Transfer to Rehab?

COincon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
So I am incontinent with neurogenic bladder and have to wear diapers that are supplied through the state. But recently have had problems with my right hip. A few months ago I tripped and went to fall and caught myself with my right shoulder but I still went to the ground. I thought I just pulled something in my shoulder but after a month and a half of pain I went to my Dr.

It looks like I have a pretty decent right rotator cuff tear from trying to catch myself.

Currently doing physical therapy now, but they think it's going to require surgery. Looking into rotator cuff surgery its a pretty large surgery. My right shoulder is going to be in a brace that is strapped to my stomach area for at least a few weeks.

So I have a little bit of a problem..... my wife works ALOT of hours between 50-60 hours a week and I currently have my own business. My right arm is my dominant arm and obviously I will be on narcotic pain relievers for about a week and I won't be able to change myself or shower or things like that that.

I am thinking about requesting to be placed in a rehab for a week or two because my wife will not be able to really help me with all the work she does. I'm also hoping they can help me with the shoulder rehab after the surgery. I am 38 and was wondering other people experiences about going to a rehab place or what you think I should do?

Thanks Everyone!

Haven't had the experience of in-patient rehab myself, but have had some friends who needed it at various times. They all agreed it was a very positive experience over all, and helped them get back on their feet in good time. Physical therapy was pushed according to their needs and abilities, proper nutrition was provided (they agreed the meals were better than regular "hospital food"), and personal care was given as required/ needed. In my opinion, if you can get rehab, go for it. I think it will help speed your recovery. Good luck with everything.

I would just simply state that after the surgery you will not have the help at home that you require for daily living tasks like changing your diapers, etc and request to be released to a facility that will be able to assist along with starting rehab on the jury so you can return to being able to care for yourself

Speak with your doctor about this before the surgery. Let them know if the complications and difficulties you will have immediately following the surgery, and that you think you may need Acute inpatient rehab or a transitional care unit following the surgery.

There are many steps that the care team needs to take care of you have that setup for immediate transition after your surgery. There is definitely places that you can go for this help, but it does need to be coordinated ahead of time.

you need to stress that there won't be anyone to care for you at home.

Back