Plug safety.... again!

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
As the cogs whirr away, tons of illegal electricals continue to be funnelled to our shores:
Screenshot_20240121-133538-01.jpegScreenshot_20240121-133830-01.jpeg
There, amongst many.

• Wow
Reactions: michaelmc
Can't believe people could try this and feel good about themselves

I was thinking a very different sort of plug when I opened this. :eek:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: DLYUL, michaelmc, DroopyDrawers and 5 others
Haha....me too. Yeah, I wouldn't go there unless I had a strong desire to light up like a Christmas tree.

• Haha
Reactions: michaelmc, Woncrinklz and ianwee
🤣
Dirty-minded buggers!

• Haha
Reactions: michaelmc, PaigeCherubiel, Woncrinklz and 3 others
Still a very interesting post.
It's scary to think someone's home could burn down because they wanted to "save money" with a lower standard plug.
Clearly the asses that made them didn't care about the electrical compliances for UK wires.
The wires were off with resistance (too high of readings =blows), and the prongs were wrong. Very cheaply made, and the earth pin was insulated at the base on one example I saw. It came with no internal fuse, right? I wish someone would take a box cutter, or heated thin knife (w/torch) and melt the plug open with a center cut to see what the manufacturing crap is like in it with those "copy-plugs."

Anything for some cash, it seems. Low-grade humans. I hope Amazon got reports to ban them, and anywhere else they tried to sell the things.

Reactions: michaelmc and mistykitty
It truly is sad all the scams and scam products sold places that try to make themselves out to be the real deal.

Woncrinklz said:
Anything for some cash, it seems. Low-grade humans. I hope Amazon got reports to ban them, and anywhere else they tried to sell the things.
Well, ideas of electrical safety vary around the world....and since we get most of our stuff from China....🙄
Amazon used to have the facility for reporting 'bad' stuff, but I can't find that anymore. I posted about it, in a similar vein, a while ago.
More saddening and annoying is that I can go on Amazon and eBay and instantly find all kinds of illegal stuff, but those charged with policing such, don't.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: michaelmc, mistykitty and Woncrinklz
ade said:
Well, ideas of electrical safety vary around the world....and since we get most of our stuff from China....🙄
Amazon used to have the facility for reporting 'bad' stuff, but I can't find that anymore. I posted about it, in a similar vein, a while ago.
More saddening and annoying is that I can go on Amazon and eBay and instantly find all kinds of illegal stuff, but those charged with policing such, don't.
That's awful. The American version, they seem pretty upstanding with complaints...if you have Prime. Although, I noticed Amazon has a harder to understand customer service complaint page now. They used to have an easier way to contact customer service if something wasn't up to snuff after getting it.
I had to google their customer service number after screwing around at the Amazon site for 10 min. trying to get through all the run-a-rounds their page sent me through.:ROFLMAO:

I hope the criminals that sell cheap crap are somehow closed down. Over here, we have "Consumer Reports" magazine and website. They charge money now. I don't think they charged back in the '70s-'80s, if they did, I didn't pay anything. But I read the magazines when I found them on some table somewhere. They were popular. Then TV had "Fight Back" show based on consumer stuff. It was entertaining. Lol.

It's hard to determine what's quality, and what's not with so many copies, and buy-outs all over the world now. Jeez!o_O:giggle:

Maybe someone has to come up with another world-wide product report gig. that would be something interesting to read. Maybe it exists, I haven't checked.
Good you posted that.(y)

Last edited:
Reactions: ade and michaelmc
I mean the in the US we have mainly 2 main option if the company doesn't address it themselves. The BBB (Better Business Bureau) and the FTC (Federal Trade Commission). So if Amazon is really being that resistant then those are always options.

Last edited:
If a baby grabs that OMG! 😧 i come across many burnt out sockets through cheap crap mainly in student lets and a lot is caused by students shoving two pin foreign 110 v plugs into British 240 v sockets trouble is they aren't rated for 240v and over heat and melt 🤯 another problem i come across as an electrician is overloaded cheap extension leads .
One student put a kettle on plugged into an extension and didn't close the lid but went to get some more water , he didn't realize it would boil so quick (240v ) and it boiled over destroying his laptop before tripping the main. fuse we got called in because he didn't know about fuse boards and didn't know how to return power he thought the house electrics was kaput!

Back